Is it me or my wax?

Okay, I'm getting tired of my wax looking so strange when it cools. It hasn't always done this, but it did it when I first started. Thought I'd fixed it but now I'm wondering if it's the wax. I've tried different pour temps, pouring slow and not so slow, doesn't seem to matter. It used to do this when I poured too cool, so I watch my temps. I still need to try pouring even hotter, I guess. Do you think it could just be this case of wax? I use C-3. :undecided

I was afraid I didn't explain that very well. Sorry about that. Still same supplier, same kind of wax. It looks strange when it cools. Wish I had a picture. Actually, I've seen pictures on here with similar problems. Looking at the side of the jar, it almost looks like it didn't completely cool in places. I've been getting more sinkholes lately too. I haven't yet noticed a batch of wax that behaved differently, but I'm wondering if I've got one that does.

Okay, here's a post that has pictures like what mine look like. http://www.candletech.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=6391&d=1147635757

Mine aren't covered quite as much as hers, but that's what they look like. As I said earlier, I had this happen to me when I started and thought I'd beat it, but now they're doing it again.

Thanks for any insight you all might have for me!

When I used C-3, my biggest problem were sinkholes. I always had to hit it with a heat gun several times to get rid of the buggers! It was something about the wax. I have used other kinds of wax and get a few small places on top. But with C-3, they would look like a crater right around the wick. I tried pouring hot, cool, slower, etc. but nothing would help. Oh well! :grin2:

Beverly S :D

I don't think it's the oils, used the same ones before without a problem. On that other thread, someone suggested maybe they cooled too slowly and since it's a little warmer perhaps that's a possibility. I'm getting pretty good with the heat gun. :)

Pour hotter

I pour C-3 around 145-150

Wish that solved it; worked when I started. Have been pouring around 160 lately. Maybe I should check my thermometer, maybe it isn't working the same anymore.

thanks for all your suggestions! Let me know if you have any more.

I am pretty new here, but I had to comment on this one. I am having the same problem with my candles looking like that. I use ecosoya pure. I melted some down and repoured and some turned out fine and others looked the same. I thought maybe since it never happened before, that it was because of the large size I was pouring this time (26oz.) and it was taking to long to cool (or cooling to fast). There are many sinkholes and craters too! What size jar are you pouring? ~Dana

C-3 isn't pure soy, and supposed that look you say is from the jar cooling too fast but since that is bogus because i made plenty of candles, same room, same time and it happened with some and not others and some of the same scent happened and some not, lose you yet? THE WAX IS IMPERFECT, GET USED TO IT. CARGIL, LETS SEE THE C-5 so we can see how that FAILS. :P

I hear you, Candlewitch. Just when I think I have C3 down, it starts acting like this. Actually, I managed to make a batch last night without the problem, poured another 10 degrees hotter and did not let it cool slowly. Think I might start testing new waxes once my fall and winter shows are over, no time now.

Hi,

you may want to see my thread on emulsifyers - the last post as I am trying to figure out why this happens and I have a theory you can check out.

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?p=288680#post288680

Basically the ecosoya has guidelines for how much % FO to mix and I think if you go even a teeny bit over it seperates. So I think if an emulsifyer is used to help incorporate more oil into the wax, it may help raise % to 8-9 or who knows. But I may be wrong. The Soy Additive is an emulsyfyer, and there are others, but I don't know, this all needs to be tried out.

I hope that sheds light a little.

And I hope my test in the next few days show something, or maybe they will be a big bunch a mushy goo. :)

Soy is so fickle. When the weather changes, you will need to change the temp you pour at and the amount of any additives - adjusting up or down. Just remember, when the weather changes, you need to change your pouring habits. :wink2: For example, I up my BW % in the summer and decrease it in the winter. You'll need to figure out what you will need to change since it is different for us all.

Amy, as the temps cool off with the change of the season, you might find that insultating your candles as they cool will help. You can put them in a cooler, the oven, wrap a towel around them or place them back in the box your jars came in to let them cool down and set up. Even if you don't use additives, you still might need to adjust for the change in temps and humidity levels. These factors can affect the way your candle turns out. Good luck! :)