Home Paries In the Dumps

peppermint

I am getting so disappointed with home parties. I have done 4 and and average of 3-4 people show up and spend $20. I spend more just to put the party on. Not only that but I have to drive and lug all my stuff in someones house. I am not sure what other route to go to sell product! I am just sad I guess after last night. I even gave the hostess 20% of coupons to give to everyone if the came.:(

Could you pay your hostess based on the number of attendees instead of a percentage of the sales? This might provide her with more incentive to invite more people and followup with them to make sure they attend. It is not easy being a hostess. You have to have some amount of sales personality to convince your friends to come.

Another dilemma is that now I have to give the hostess something for hosing the party. The hostess was also let down and thought a lot more people would show. She spent a ton on food and wine. I think when all is done I lost money at this party.

I currently sell tarts, oils, reed sticks, plug-ins, wick-less candles, Bath and Body products as well as electric and tea-light tart warmers. I have all up for display as well as the scent for people to choose. I have specials like buy 4 oils get one free and start up packages as well. For the Hostess I offer a free burner or 4 oils just for hostess. Then I have incentives for how much people spend or booking and they get more form there.

IMO and where I live HOME PARTIES are not attended much at all.It has been years since I went to one or was invited.When I was younger it was all the time.I thought about home parties but THINK Open House might be better but would like to know more crafters and ask them to set up or bring some items to sell.People love wood items etc.I get some things from a wholesale place and they sell right off the bat.Candles sell but not like these crafty things.My friend always let's me know this.She was at a booth next to me.

LynnS

August is generally a slow month. When we had the gallery we really ate it August, even Ebay also considers August to be a slow month.

Look on the bright side....here comes September :D

August is Back to School so parents with school kids are spending money for BTS and not many if any other things in August.

I do several home parties but I do not book them for August and Early Sept due to slow sales. I usually get kicked back off mid Sept to end of Sept. Kids go back to school and college and then you have parents paying that money and trying to get back to routines it just is not a good month. I would try again when it gets mid Sept to first of Oct. Good Luck!

Do you set up a limit for parties such as in ordered to be considered a party it must equal $100 in retail sales before tax/shipping...or the hosetess only gets the one candle for having the party..they do not get their extra % in free stuff.

this gives them an incentive to get people there and also to get them to get outside sales.:wink2:

and yes right now parents are doing back to school..so not much $$ to spend on this stuff right now. fall should pick up for you..holiday season..gift buying etc

Thanks Everyone! I have some more hope now that things will turn around in the next few month from what you are all saying. I live in the rainy state so we only have a few weeks of sun left. Never thought I would look forward to that!

What I currently offer the hostess is a (A)free item just for hosting, (B)additional 2 free items for sales equaling $200 and one booking and ©with $300.00 in sales and 2 bookings they get an additional 2 item half off and 10% in total party sales in free regular priced merchandise. So I offer a lot of options and the more that is spent the more they get. I might have to add that they get an additional about per person that comes and orders, I like that idea.

When inviting hostess should send out a brochure and price list.Call ahead to see if they can attend and if not ask it they would like to order.I am the kind of person who might not show but will buy to help the hostess out.

LynnS

Call ahead to see if they can attend and if not ask it they would like to order.
Yes, that is the proactive approach the hostess should take. Unfortunately many people are willing to help by hosting a party for you, but lack the type of sales personality to do what Lynn suggested. Perhaps a bit of 'training' could be provided for the hostess? You know, at least tell them about how to followup with those they've invited. Or maybe screen out those whom you think would not be outgoing enough to do this kind of followup.

You can always have a "hostess packet" that you give them when they book a party. This would include tips and reminders for how to do things, such as 2 days before party call those that are invited to see who plans to attend, as well as enough brochures and invitations to hand out to guests before the party, etc...just some suggestions. HTH

I know the call ahead all to well but it is for volunteer work.People are supposed to send payment ahead through a MO but no one and I mean no one ever does.So I am on the phone calling over 20-30 people the week before the spay clinic.Hey I need to know how many are coming. After bugging and finding out for sure I have almost 50 animals.Now how easy for them to pay ahead but they don't so it is on my back.

I really think the hostess will get orders or get them to come by calling ahead.I know at times things slip my mind the older I get.Life is so busy for people now and those I talk to write everything down on a calender.What I need to do.

LynnS

My 2 cents...

I don't do parties anymore except for very close friends. However, I have 6 salesgirls who do them. Here are some tips that we have found helpful:

**No more structured parties. People are too busy. Make it an open house, around 2 hours or so. We have so many comments from people who are happy they can come and go as they please. Plan to stay about 15 minutes after to wrap up the later orders and tear down, so if you spend 15 minutes setting up that is 2 1/2 hours for the whole thing.

**Give an incentive for having more guests. I give a free $7 candle as a door prize-if more than 10 guests show up, I give two.

**Hostess gets one free $15 candle for a party over $100. Nothing for less than that. As their totals grow, so do their earnings.

**Encourage outside orders ahead of time. Anyone who has a party gets a small kit-order forms, catalogs, sample scents, a party instruction sheet, etc. They can take these around ahead of time to either take orders from people who cannot attend or to entice people to come and see what else we offer.

**I agree sales are slow in July and August but the last three parties they turned in were very large, so it is the start of prime selling season. We try to have our fall catalog published by mid August to pump up our summer sales-people want to be the first ones to have our new fall fragrances!

That is all I can think of for now-good luck!

• 7 months later...
My 2 cents...

I don't do parties anymore except for very close friends. However, I have 6 salesgirls who do them. Here are some tips that we have found helpful:

**No more structured parties. People are too busy. Make it an open house, around 2 hours or so. We have so many comments from people who are happy they can come and go as they please. Plan to stay about 15 minutes after to wrap up the later orders and tear down, so if you spend 15 minutes setting up that is 2 1/2 hours for the whole thing.

**Give an incentive for having more guests. I give a free $7 candle as a door prize-if more than 10 guests show up, I give two.

**Hostess gets one free $15 candle for a party over $100. Nothing for less than that. As their totals grow, so do their earnings.

**Encourage outside orders ahead of time. Anyone who has a party gets a small kit-order forms, catalogs, sample scents, a party instruction sheet, etc. They can take these around ahead of time to either take orders from people who cannot attend or to entice people to come and see what else we offer.

**I agree sales are slow in July and August but the last three parties they turned in were very large, so it is the start of prime selling season. We try to have our fall catalog published by mid August to pump up our summer sales-people want to be the first ones to have our new fall fragrances!

That is all I can think of for now-good luck!

can I ask how you keep track of your sale girls and do they need to buy a hostess packet...that is our goal in the long run but in not ssure about how to have the girls sale for us ...any info would be so greatly appreciated...