Does anyone make these?

I just wanna know if your insurance company knows you advocate putting melted candle wax on the skin?

Also, I keep seeing the work Natural. You need to stop assuming that the word means wholesome and clean, good for you. Natural is not regulated and can be used for anything.

I defer to the B&B people for the final word on what's good for the skin, but I dunno...if I went to a spa and they wanted to use vegetable shortening on me as a massage lotion, I'd run off and look for a higher class place. Check out the Golden Brands site. The straight "soy wax" they market to candlemakers and the stuff they sell for baking cookies and pies are the same product. So yeah you can argue whether Crisco should have a wick in it or not but do people really want to smear themselves with it is my question. Or maybe a stick of margarine would do just as well.

I defer to the B&B people for the final word on what's good for the skin, but I dunno...if I went to a spa and they wanted to use vegetable shortening on me as a massage lotion, I'd run off and look for a higher class place. Check out the Golden Brands site. The straight "soy wax" they market to candlemakers and the stuff they sell for baking cookies and pies are the same product. So yeah you can argue whether Crisco should have a wick in it or not but do people really want to smear themselves with it is my question. Or maybe a stick of margarine would do just as well.

A far less idiotic suggestion actually! What's the worst margarine could do? Clog your pores? :laugh2:

I have been enjoying reading this thread...knowing absloutely nothing about rubbing candle wax on your body does not sound like something I would even consider no matter HOW 'in' it may be....sounds like a law suit waiting to happen..........NOOOOOOO thanks...I'll pass...not enough insurance in this country to make me want to chance that one!:shocked2:

I love the ideal of a lotion candle. You just have to assume all companys test their products, otherwise don't buy. They tell you put out the flame before pouring. If customers don't follow the CAUTION label then what's new? All the ones I have read about or seen in person have no color so dyes don't apply. And as far as scent goes my recipe says 1 tablespoon, 1/3 oz for lotion, not enough for a room but will scent your skin nicely. Then again a lot of people on this board use less than an oz to scent a candle. Just because GF found another outlet for their shortning doesn't make it bad. I have used my soy wax/shortning for lotion bars, solid perfume and soap. So a soy lotion candle is a good thing.... JMO

How many put Vicks in their candles? I'm still looking for my gimmick!

You've got to have a gimmick!

You're more than just a mimic

When you got a gimmick--

Take a look how different we are!

If you wanna make it,

Twinkle while you shake it.

If you wanna grind it,

Wait till you've refined it.

If you wanna bump it,

Bump it with a trumpet!

So get yourself a gimmick

And you too

Can be a star!

Every time I hear about a lotion candle I think back about my flea market visit a couple of months ago. It's a HUGE place, and there was a candle seller in the very first building. I looked at her things and commented about how fragrant her area was. She warned me to beware of someone selling soy lotion candles in building 3. Said that people didn't realize that those lotion candles cause cancer!! Needless to say, I did visit the cancer people and rubbed a small bit on my hand. It felt nice, but I'm just not into that whole concept. Found the cancer thing funny, though.

One last note--the cancer seller had very attractive candles that had super hot throw! I saw mainly creme brulee with no color.

I think the candle lady may not have been that far off the mark with her cancer statments, however I'm sure it would take more then one application and many years to bioaccumulate to cause any damage. Not to quote myself but keep this reference below in mind when purchasing these candles or any product that contains a synthetic fragrance.

Fragrance:

Fragrance on a label can indicate the presence of up to four thousand separate ingredients, many toxic or carcinogenic. Symptoms reported to the USA FDA include headaches, dizziness, allergic rashes, skin discoloration, violent coughing and vomiting, and skin irritation. Clinical observation proves fragrances can affect the central nervous system, causing depression, hyperactivity, and irritability.

I think everything causes cancer!;) LOL I think that if you make the "candle" with a low enough amount of fo and no color then what is the difference between that and B&B product? But then I ask why call it a candle because as far as I know people want a candle for the fragrance. IMO you can't put the two together and have it be safe. I have had some people ask me if you can use my candles as a lotion I always say no. like I said though JMO. Heather :)

.... They are made with 100% soy beans. I can't speak for other massage oil candle makers but, I use soap based fragrance oils at much lower concentrations then I would for a normal candle. They are not intended to be used for scent throw.

And...what is there to get...The fun with these candles is that you use them for massages.

ummmm...I thought soap based fragrance oils were for 'wash off' products, not lotions.

I think massage candles are a lawsuit waiting to happen also.

my 2¢.

Each side has it's points. There are ways to do these safely, and legally as far as labeling is concerned. Those I don't have a problem with, though it's a product I don't care for. The other types, from chandlers that just call it a neat product but don't have a clue about b&b regulations, those are the ones you have to watch out for.

Unfortunately, there are more bad ones that good ones out there. That's why you'll see such a strong response to this topic. Most which have been moderated - keep on topic...

ummmm...I thought soap based fragrance oils were for 'wash off' products, not lotions.

I think massage candles are a lawsuit waiting to happen also.

my 2¢.

Not necessarily. You can scent lotion bases with the same Fo's used for soaping.