Does anyone make these?

they are soy candles in tins that the wax is not hot and can be used on the skin as well.

PLEASE DO NOT USE A CANDLE AS A LOTION!!!!!!!!!!! This is a dangerous practice that has taken hold and needs to be stopped! Its not the heat of the candle wax, its the concentration of the fragrance oils AND the dyes used (if at all). Candle dye is NOT BODY SAFE! The concentration of scent used in candles is MUCH HIGHER than it is in bath and body products and may cause a skin reaction.

PLEASE STOP THIS PRACTICE!!

If you want a lotion, buy a lotion. If you want a candle, buy a candle. DO NOT MIX THE TWO IT IS DANGEROUS!!!!!!!!

Thanks

Oh....Cet knows a thing or two about it, believe me. And she's absolutely 100% correct. I could go on, but do a search here and you'll find several threads about it.

Why the desire to put a candle on your skin? If you want lotion, use lotion. Candles are for burning.....and not your skin. I just don't get it.

I work in a salon as well. These candles are SO popular right now, although, I can't remember the name of the ones everyone is so excited about. The ones I have seen/used had almost no hot throw while it was burning. The salon supply put one on a warmer and the whole place smells. The smell is also strong on your skin. These come from a big company. There are only like 4 or 5 scents.

I had received a massage and the guy who did the massage mentioned that he made his own soy candles for this purpose and he used it on me. Not impressed with it. It was uncolored, and he claimed he used essential oils, but I couldn't detect any hot throw. I'm actually not interested in pursuing this line of candles/lotions, too much risk involved for my taste.

This candle has no color to it at all. Only 2 of the 3 I originally bought had anythrow at all. I really didnt think it was such a big deal. When i did use them, I always had blew the flame out and the wax is NEVER hot, just lukewarm. Anyway, I have had A LOT of request for these.

This candle has no color to it at all. Only 2 of the 3 I originally bought had anythrow at all. I really didnt think it was such a big deal. When i did use them, I always had blew the flame out and the wax is NEVER hot, just lukewarm. Anyway, I have had A LOT of request for these.

At least they were undyed. Its not just the dye and even though the hot throw might not be good as a candle, it can still contain an unsafe % of FO/EO. Remember that just because it is an EO doesn't mean that it is safe in all concentrations, or that all EO's are safe to use on your skin.

Wax temperature is a concern not just for the immediate burning precaution but also because of the vapor that can still ignite even by a blown out wick. All it will take is 1 ember on the wick and the vapor from the wax can ignite. Or say that the FO/EO has a flash point slightly above the melting temperature of the wax. Now you've got FO/EO vapor which can ignite from an ember as well, even though the wax is lukewarm. In tipping the candle to get the wax on the skin the vapor hits the ember and BAM! instant torched hands/arms..etc.

There are many factors that make this practice extremely dangerous. You might as well advise people to pour gasoline on their hands and then light a match. The mechanics are the same. You have a flammable vapor and a possible ignition source.

NOW: Soy wax in and of itself makes a WONDERFUL lotion, either as an additive or an actual base. It doesn't NEED to be heated in order for it to work. It goes on smooth and creamy and has some fantastic properties for your skin. BUT the instant that it is used as a candle should be the instant that it REMAINS a candle.....regardless of what marketing ploys/big name products are out there.

As Debscents said, all it will take is one person to flambe their hand and you are out of business. Its too risky.

it's obvious that some people are just one minded and only express their opinion not seeing the whole picture. They just get one thought in their head and only stick to that. Our wax melt temp is under 120 deg. Now i know most fragrances have a flash point way above that. So I dont see the logic in saying that it would catch fire because of the oil. Some people act as if they just threw these things together hoping that they work. Obvious if you knew what you were doing you would know that people do test and try their products

it's obvious that some people are just one minded and only express their opinion not seeing the whole picture. They just get one thought in their head and only stick to that. Our wax melt temp is under 120 deg. Now i know most fragrances have a flash point way above that. So I dont see the logic in saying that it would catch fire because of the oil. Some people act as if they just threw these things together hoping that they work. Obvious if you knew what you were doing you would know that people do test and try their products

Not sure if the hesitation about these products was because of the flashpoint, or rather the concentration or % of FO that is used in a candle...I believe the poster was trying to stress that this level of FO could irritate the skin, even if the candle was dye-free.

Honestly, I don't know anything about these candle/cream combos...sounds like a gimmick, but if some people enjoy using them, and if they have been tested for safety, then why not.

No kidding! To each his own. I personally find the concept pretty lame. If I want lotion, I get it out of a lotion bottle. I've seen these at the flea market and even have friends ask if I make these candles. I just tell them that I prefer a lotion and not having to melt something to get it.

I didnt think everyone was going to get bent out of shape over this. That was no tmy intention. All, I know is I like them, my salon supplier cant keep them in stock, that is why I am looking elsewhere. I am pretty sure the ingredients ARE listed on the container, i just dont have one here to look off of .

now see what you started , Jen ? ...hehehe !!! When you get one it would be interesting in seeing what all is in them...Im not interested in utilizing nor trying to make the product, just curious about them now that youve brought it up !

Deana

Hi all,

I started reading this thread and just wanted to pass along my two scents (pun intented)...I have to agree with Cet, FO's and colors can be highly irritating to the skin and system. I persnonally would love to make soy candles with only EO's in them but have not figured it out yet. I would just be careful with putting these chemicals on your skin...yes they are mostly synthetic chemicals and they will absorb into your system, please reference the paragraph below...

Fragrance:

Fragrance on a label can indicate the presence of up to four thousand separate ingredients, many toxic or carcinogenic. Symptoms reported to the USA FDA include headaches, dizziness, allergic rashes, skin discoloration, violent coughing and vomiting, and skin irritation. Clinical observation proves fragrances can affect the central nervous system, causing depression, hyperactivity, and irritability.

Color Pigments:

Synthetic colours made from coal tar. Contain heavy metal salts that deposit toxins onto the skin, causing skin sensitivity and irritation. Animal studies have shown almost all of them to be carcinogenic.

...I would take a precautionary approach before applying this to your skin!

Hi all,

I started reading this thread and just wanted to pass along my two scents (pun intented)...I have to agree with Cet, FO's and colors can be highly irritating to the skin and system. I persnonally would love to make soy candles with only EO's in them but have not figured it out yet. I would just be careful with putting these chemicals on your skin...yes they are mostly synthetic chemicals and they will absorb into your system, please reference the paragraph below...

Fragrance:

Fragrance on a label can indicate the presence of up to four thousand separate ingredients, many toxic or carcinogenic. Symptoms reported to the USA FDA include headaches, dizziness, allergic rashes, skin discoloration, violent coughing and vomiting, and skin irritation. Clinical observation proves fragrances can affect the central nervous system, causing depression, hyperactivity, and irritability.

Color Pigments:

Synthetic colours made from coal tar. Contain heavy metal salts that deposit toxins onto the skin, causing skin sensitivity and irritation. Animal studies have shown almost all of them to be carcinogenic.

...I would take a precautionary approach before applying this to your skin!

I fully agree with you and these warnings!!!!:highfive:

I am a soy candle maker and I get asked about if my candles can be used on the skin?

My answer is always, NO! I explain that the F/O and the colorant are NOT skin safe. Anyone who makes B&B knows that they don't add candle colorant to soap. They have their own seperate and body safe colorants. I know because I make my own M & P soap for myself and I have to buy skine safe colors for it.

Cross over products like candles used as lotions and such are strictly a fad. JMO

But the BIG reason I NEVER allow people to think they can use my candles for skin use is: INSURANCE COMPANIES! I can't speak for others here but MY insurance doesn't cover anything like this. It's a great way to get sued and we live in a very sue happy country!

Off my soap box,

Fire:cool2:

It's not hard to pinpoint the folks who are making money off of this ridiculous marketing ploy. It's really too bad that they are unable to be responsible enough to veer off of THEIR single track vision, and keep the safety of their customers in mind, rather than the money of their customers in pocket.

I truely hope that you are willing to take the high road on this one elitenaildesign, and inform your customers that it's simply too much risk.

hmmm.....I was just wondering that perhaps if the candle was a 100% organic soy wax sans color and fragrance then perhaps that would be the way to go if you really wanted to bath in your candle. The 100% organic would assure you that there would be no residual pesticide to seep into your body. But that sounds like a really boring candle! ;)

Ok, I went and got the candle from the salon, because it was bugging me.

Here is the ingredients it listed:

Soybean oil

Coconut oil

Hemp seed oil

Avacodo oil

Apricot oil

Jojoba oil

Vit E

Fragrance derived from natrual sources

Sounds like a message oil to me. There is nothing in there that is not in any other B&B product. I think the whole hype behind it is the oils are warm, and warm oils are much more comforting to some than just something out of a jar.

Anyway, I am done with this thread as I have talked to those that COULD help me.

Ok, I went and got the candle from the salon, because it was bugging me.

Here is the ingredients it listed:

Soybean oil

Coconut oil

Hemp seed oil

Avacodo oil

Apricot oil

Jojoba oil

Vit E

Fragrance derived from natrual sources

Sounds like a message oil to me. There is nothing in there that is not in any other B&B product. I think the whole hype behind it is the oils are warm, and warm oils are much more comforting to some than just something out of a jar. Anyway, I am done with this thread as I have talked to those that COULD help me.

Well, that might work, its just a massage blend but it better not say its a candle in the label. I know a lady that will take her regular soy candle, light it and them rub it on the customers. I'm just waiting for the FDA to catch up with her and she will be out of business. You cant touch a persons skin with products without being a masseuse. Its really simple, if the scent makes a strong candle, you best not put it on your skin. Whats lotion and stuff like that scented at? .5 to 1% FO ??? That ain't gonna make a strong candle 4 sure. Worst Idea ever. Anyone selling them should double up on their liability insurance. IMHO Bruce

Gee after reading all the negativity, I'm afraid to admit that I make these wonderful products. My customers, store clients and friends rave about them. My product is made using 100 % soy products and when they melt are completely safe for the skin. They are made with 100% soy beans. I can't speak for other massage oil candle makers but, I use soap based fragrance oils at much lower concentrations then I would for a normal candle. They are not intended to be used for scent throw.

And...what is there to get...The fun with these candles is that you use them for massages. They are warm, and provide ambiance that "lotions" don't give. The temperature is warm, not hot since soy wax melts at such a low temperature.

I would just Google soy massage oil candle to get results.

Good luck in finding what your looking for.

Gee after reading all the negativity, I'm afraid to admit that I make these wonderful products. My customers, store clients and friends rave about them. My product is made using 100 % soy products and when they melt are completely safe for the skin. They are made with 100% soy beans. I can't speak for other massage oil candle makers but, I use soap based fragrance oils at much lower concentrations then I would for a normal candle. They are not intended to be used for scent throw.

And...what is there to get...The fun with these candles is that you use them for massages. They are warm, and provide ambiance that "lotions" don't give. The temperature is warm, not hot since soy wax melts at such a low temperature.

I would just Google soy massage oil candle to get results.

Good luck in finding what your looking for.

What is a soap based fragrance oil??

If you mean a soap safe oil, then your candles are most definately not 100% soy, OR 100% natural!