Quickk help for whipped shea

try sticking it in the freezer a few mintues to get it solidifyin t, then whip it up - then back to the freezer and such.

Blender doesn't seem to work because it doesn't incorporate enough air and heats up the stuff. Try the whisk attachment on a mixer.

I never freeze either. I never completely melt my shea, I get it to just very soft, shortening like consistancy.

I don't use the freezer. Go have a beer and come back and check then another and it should be just about done. That's about the amount of time it takes for mine to get perfectly whipped.

I never freeze either. I never completely melt my shea, I get it to just very soft, shortening like consistancy.

I've found that not completely melting the shea shortens the whipping time without putting it in the freezer

I made my first batch Friday night and had the same fears. I did use the freezer (several time) and had a beer in between. I whipped, whipped, whipped with my stand mixer, thank goodness. However, even though it was creamy like cool whip, I notice that it is much harder now. Is that normal? Was it supposed to keep the cool whip texture? It's truly greasy so I was wondering if I should scoop it all out of the containers and rewhip and add a tad of cyclo. I did the basic Kimberly's recipe with 12 oz shea, 2 oz mango butter, 2 oz avocado butter, 5 oz sao, and 2 tsp corn starch.

Mine was not SHEA, but it hardened too, so I whipped in some more oil the next day.

Let's see... my recipe was mango butter, FCO and cocoa butter. when it hardened (cocoa butter to blame)

I added some shealoe (yum) and some apricot kernel oil.

Thanks, Carol. But I hesitate to add more oil because of how greasy it is already. Did I read correctly that some cyclo would help that? I went to the link in another thread to a company that will send samples of dry flo and have some of that on the way. Wondering if I should try that instead of cyclo. This stuff is just way to expensive to not try to salvage.

However, even though it was creamy like cool whip, I notice that it is much harder now. Is that normal? Was it supposed to keep the cool whip texture?
Yes, that's normal. They get pretty hard as they set up. None of the butters I've made or sampled have stayed fluffy and soft like Cool Whip. Their textures have varied from "soft" like Crisco shortening (but not quite as smooth), to firm like a stick of refrigerated butter.

I don't know if cyclo will help the texture much. It helps the butter feel a little less greasy...but not that much of a difference, IMO. The only thing I've felt that stays as soft as Cool Whip is an emulsified butter. But those are more like a very thick lotion.

I love my regular whipped shea recipe but it is a little hard. I added .5oz of EVOO and that took care of it. It is more like whipped cream now and holds it's shape. I do use IPM and dryflo in mine. Also, make sure that you are just dabbing your finger on the butters when you use it. You will be amazed by what happens when you just use a dab, a pinch, whatever. Make it a glob the size of 1 split pea. That is enough for 1 hand. If you are using the same amount for whipped butters as for lotion or emulsified butter, you bet it's greasy. No one will like it.

With the harder butter, I tell people to just rub a finger over the top until it has melted on the finger. That is enough for the back of both hands.

HTH

Thanks so much. Now I feel better. I wasn't looking forward to spooning it all out and reworking it. I think I will try a tad of dryflo in my next batch, though.

Thank you all for being here and helping me when I have questions!!

I don't use the freezer. Go have a beer and come back and check then another and it should be just about done. That's about the amount of time it takes for mine to get perfectly whipped.

I stumbled on this forum thru a google search and this was the first thread I read. And when I read this post, I knew I had to join. Just too funny -- this is how I'll be timing things from now on! :highfive:

Kathy