what makes a luxury bar

dixiegal

I am not really sure. I posted pics of my Shea Mango Luxury bar in the gallery but the recipe I used called it a luxury bar. It has 8oz of shea and 8oz of mango in it which is a lot. I am assuming when you use a lot of rich oils or butters that are very moisturizing.....that would classify it as a luxury bar?

My definition is pretty much what you wrote - richly moisturizing, hopefully a gorgeous lather but I know that doesn't always happen with conditioning soaps, containing expensive butters or oils. Something you would have to sell at a premium (or that you would be willing to pay a premium for).

i depending on the oil you use and the feel of the finished product; in my opinion is what would make it luxurious. when i use cocoa butter the bars feel creamy and silky but when i use shae butter the bars feel slimy.

so pretty much something that you would pay more for( for ingedients) feel pamered using not the everyday kind of soap. ( sounds like all homemade soaps to me (jk);) Iv been looking at recipes with cocoa butter and shea since I saw kymber beautiful soaps yesterday and have found a few I want to try. Thanks for the opinions everyone

i depending on the oil you use and the feel of the finished product; in my opinion is what would make it luxurious. when i use cocoa butter the bars feel creamy and silky but when i use shae butter the bars feel slimy.

What other oils are you using along with the shea butter? I ask because I love my soap made with shea butter. I haven't tried cocoa butter. I doubt I will because I think I had beginners luck in finding a couple recipes that are highly conditioning/moisturizing/creamy and loaded with bubbles:yay:

I love mango butter !!!!!!!!:drool: in my soaps most all of my soaps or recipes I use either has shea,mango or cocoa butter in them and lots of times all 3 just depends on my mood .so i would consider 99% of the soaps I make are luxury bars and I try my hardest to make them pretty :cheesy2: which doesn't always happen :rolleyes2 lol

Hmmmm....I like a nice milk soap. Something loaded with GM, buttermilk or coconut milk. Yes, high on the conditioning factor (non-drying). Make sure it looks elegant too ... pretty counts!

I agree with what AJ said.

To me it's all about the 'feel' of the soap (and the look of course) more so than the ingredients in it.

In fact one of the soaps I bill as a 'luxury' soap has fresh GM and a high content of Almond Oil in it, which is not necessarily an expensive oil, or an oil you would consider a 'luxury', but the way my skin feels after getting out of the shower, it's like I showered in pure silk! lol

:)

To me it's all about percieved value..

Ditto. I've had some pretty simple-ingrediant bars that wow me waaaay more than any "luxury" or expensive oil bar.

However, using more expensive oils might help you to slap the word "luxury" on it and get away with it. Doesn't mean it is a better bar, though, IMO. One oil doesn't necessarily make a bar - it is the combination of them. ;)