Jump to content

Ok so I bought a candle warmer at Wally World!


Recommended Posts

One of the cheap ones, less than 5 bucks...so I warmed two all C3 soy candles on it tonight in 8oz stubby ball jars. They smelled great. Then I read the warning on the insert..."using vegetable based wax candles on the warmer is likely to cause the candle to explode"...OK so much for my great idea to package my wickless soy candles with a warmer in a gift set. :undecided

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've got a ton of badly wicked soy container candles. I keep a warmer beside my bed and warm those screw ups for hours at a time. I feel I need to at least enjoy the scent! I have never read the warning and have never had a problem, either. When the scent is gone I just pour out the remaining wax so I can wash and reuse my container. Mine's a cheapie--got it at Michael's for $2.34. They had a sale going on last year and I bought a doz to give as gifts! I also use mine for my coffee cup in the a.m. if I'm poking around drinking it. Lots of secretaries use theirs to keep a cup of soup warm.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks Bubble Bath, good thread. Doesn't seem like anyone has had any problems but that warning must be there for some reason. I guess though I'd better not package them in gift packs. Sure to be some problems when customers read that and I certainly don't want to be liable if anyone does explode a wickless. I'm going to check a couple of other companies to see if theirs also carry that warning.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

They put that on there for the same reason there is a warning on the frozen pizza box to remove the pizza from the box and cook it. And don't eat the box. We live in a society that is sue-happy and also full of really stupid people.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

i think i read that on millcreek's message board when they had one.

if i remember correctly someone had sold a candle in a tin to someone and they said it explored all over their wall, the wax just exploded. i think it is because when it heats up and expands it finds a weak spot in the wax and explodes, i suggest to people to use something to poke a hole to the bottom of the candle container to help releive the pressure. personally i've not had any trouble with a candle exploding.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest candelecandlecompany

Wow I never knew that could happen with the soy. Especially since sometimes it doesn't burn as hot as the paraffin. Maybe since soy is relatively new, people don't know much about it (especially the ones who don't use it), so they put that warning on it to cover their tushies.

We have been using candle warmers and soy for a couple of years and never even had a problem like that. If you call the company, let me know what they say as to why they put that on the warning.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It is a safeguard against people who like to sue and a world run by lawyers. Nothing is going to explode. (soy)

Exactly. This has been discussed before if you want to do a search on it. The probability of an explosion is extremely low. I wouldn't waste time worrying about it :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I believe I know why the concern. If you place a large candle on the warmer, something like a 22 oz or a tall narrow jar of any size much over 10 oz, you run the risk of bursting the glass. When a candle is on a warmer, it melts from the bottom up. As the wax at the bottom melts, it expands. Since the top wax hasn't melted, it acts like a plug leaving no room for the melt to expand. Pressure builds and sometimes the glass bursts. So, the deeper the container, the longer it takes for the top to melt and more chance of a pressure burst.

I've included in my warnings to buyers that since this is a possibility, they should use caution when using warmers for smaller candles and suggest that they never warm a candle 12 oz or larger. I could use one of the high/low temp adjustable warmers and use only the lower setting, or even poke holes in the candle... I could and I do use them at home... but I'm nervous about what might happen when my customers get the candle to their home and my liability insurance is high enough.:cry2:

The only truly safe warmers (IMO) are the deep, enclosed ones that surround the candle completely... like the Crazy Mountain brand. You get a slightly more uniform melt and even if the jar does break, the wax isn't going anywhere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I did a lot of checking on these before I sold them.

IMO, Miss Margie is correct. Also, I will add that some ppl are dumb enough to leave the covers on...that may cause a problem.

In addition, the large jars will crack the sides of the warmers. A properly fitting jar...that which fits on the black heating element without overlapping, is what should be used. Unfortunately, on the packages of the warmers you will see a picture of a large jar...dumb, dumb, dumb. Not gonna work.

It will take over a day to melt it well, then it takes so long to melt, ppl will leave it on there and not shut it off just to avoid the extended melting time.

NO, I'm not kidding. They tell me this so proudly too. :rolleyes2

Short, squatty, tureens such as the ones sold at Candle Science are perfect. They fit as though the warmers were made for them, and they get fully melted within a half an hour to forty five minutes. And they're tough...I've dropped quite a few of them and not so much as a chip or crack occurred.

Remember: When you purchase warmers, you are the consumer. You have the right to expect the product to perform properly under normal circumstances. Be careful of accepting liabilities of a manufacturer. You have no control over manufacturing of the product.

Fern-Marie

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 15 years later...

Hello, joining this thread ‘cause I’ve been researching why my soy candle bought from b&bw exploded. Using plate warmer. I think there’s a science in it. I would compare it with the volcano. Since there’s too much heat pressure at the bottom(wax is melting from the bottom to top) the solid on top is blocking the heat pressure from below and it is trying to find an exit to release it but since there’s none it exploded. To avoid it happening again, i made sure when the candle’s melted almost half , i poke a hole in the middle using toothpick to release the pressure , so far it works! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...