Donita's Tidepool Candle--my pic added

Have any of you seen them? I broke down and ordered one from ebay last week. It came over the weekend, and needless to say, is breathtaking! If anyone has seen one up close and personal, got any clue how she does that base that contains the wax? It's sandy. This candle is awesome. The only way it could possibly be better is to be scented. I am so happy with it. :bliss: :bliss: :bliss::yay:

i know some one who had instructions on it but i do not no ware she got them. she said you heat the wax to 250 to pour with sand and it bind together that way. i would be to afraid to get my wax that hot. i wasn't going to try it so i did not pay much attention to her.

If I'm not careful, some of the sand flakes off. Not much, though. It's almost like cement. It is so realistic. I live on the beach and this candle fits right in with my decor in my den here in town. However, I wish I had a bunch of them for the island house! Not to mention knowing how to do these to give as gifts to everyone else around here whose homes are in beachy decor! I would like to do something similar and scent it.

There has been several threads on it so do a search on sand candles. Also I think I read to take a heat gun to the base after it's done to kinda seal in the sand or spray with lacquer. And use larger sand not fine or play sand. Do not color the first pour also put a lid in the bottom of your impression in the damp and pour hot wax into it so the bottom wax won't move while pouring. And make sure damp/wet sand is packed very firm before pouring. Haven't done it yet just what I remember reading...somewhere.

I would love to have one of her candles too even though nothing in my house is beach-ee.

I made several of the sand candles. You do have to pour your wax at 250 to get it to adhere to the sand well. The sand should be damp not to wet or to dry. If you can make an impression in it and it stays in place your sand should be wet enough. I do add color in the first pour and add the sea shells once the wax starts to set up. When it is almost set I will do a 2nd pour with the ocean fragrance to make the wave as if it is coming into shore. Sometimes I'll add a little white whipped wax to make it look like a wave breaking. Hope that helps you.

Reese

Why go there just go direct to her site http://donitahoyer.com/TIDEPOOLCANDLES.htm

Here is a pic

I have seen the sand candles on her site before Candle Man. Every sand candle is different. I was interested in seeing the exact one that Luci ordered is all. She said she ordered it on ebay, I just wanted to see "that" one. Bruce

I have seen the sand candles on her site before Candle Man. Every sand candle is different. I was interested in seeing the exact one that Luci ordered is all. She said she ordered it on ebay, I just wanted to see "that" one. Bruce

I'm sure no two are alike and the one on ebay would most likely be different.

I will try to get a pic and post. Getting slack here! BTW--I only live 60 mi. from Charleston Candle. I have looked at their site and their prices seem horrendous. I have also emailed them several times with questions and also to inquire if they allow local pickup. They have never returned a single email. So, I just said to hell with them!!

It measure 11 by 11. It's quite heavy as well. I does go with the decor in that room. The sofa is done in tropical fish. I hava glass lamps filled with blue shells and blue shades. I also stenciled the entire perimeter just below the ceiling with an undersea scene--dolphins, fish, etc. Unfortunately, in a moment of complete madness I bought the coffee table! It is a life-sized and very realistic looking gator. Should have waited til I found a dolphin.