THERMOMETERS - Are you sure yours is accurate?

I am having a problem with this. What the heck is so hard about getting an accurate thermometer?

I have purchased some 15 or more, and no two show the same temp.

Since temps for additives and pouring are so crucial, what do we do?

I just got a new Taylor digital at WalMart...it is a full 15 degrees different from the one I've been using. Now that's not only pitiful...it's horrifying...and dangerous.

Not getting a scent throw??? Could this be why?

I would like to see a bunch of ppl test their thermometers with another thermometer side-by-side....see what you get. I would be surprised if you are not surprised.

Are you sure that your thermometer is accurate?

If anyone knows where I can get a really good and accurate thermometer...please let me know!

Thanks,

Fern-Marie

My thermometer is from a restaurant-supply company, and it can be calibrated. I haven't done it yet, though... :) But, the directions to calibrate say to fill a glass with half ice and half water, and you want the thermometer to read 32*. You could check yours and see if they do that. If they don't go that low, water boils at 212*, so you could take the temp of boiling water too. If you've got that many, you can figure which one is most accurate. Just a thought!

My "good cook" candy thermometer on the side of my presto says 200*. My digital (also a "good cook" says 203* (I'm now waiting for my wax to cool back down, oops.) In a glass of ice it registers 33* so I would say my thermometers are fairly accurate.

If you use a candy thermometer, you need to be careful to get one that has the scale glued in. I had one that the scale was stapled on and it moved inside the glass tube!

While we're on the subject, anyone have suggestions for a good "quick/instant read" thermometer? What kinds of thermometers are most of you using...? I'm using the cheapo (analog) Yaley candle/craft thermometer which has the paper inside the glass and which seems to take forever to get an accurate reading. I've been meaning to get a "good" one but don't know where to start.

Lili

I'm tossing around the idea of purchasing an infrared thermometer, but they're kind of pricey (about $135). I can't justify buying one right now, but darn I want one.:drool: Only problem with an infrared is that it only measures surface temperature.

http://www.infrared-usa.com/Product.aspx?ProductID=142&CategoryID=4122

This is the one that I have.. It is $59.00..

Yes, it does only read surface temp,

just give your pot a good stir then temp it...

It is pretty darn accurate!!

I have tested it against other thermometers and it is right on...

I love mine and will would never go back to anything else.. :grin2:

I have an infrared thermometer that my husband purchased at an Arbor Freight tool store for $20.00. He owns a HVAC company and he uses them to check the temp. They are acurate I have checked them in conjuction with a mercury which is the most accurate thermometer. The reason I know this is because I was a nurse and till this day docs and nurses are taught with all of this technology that good ole mercury is still the most accurate. Anyway I love the infrared because I am not waiting for the mercury to rise up. I just point and get a reading. Its the absolute best when I do palm wax pillars.

I feel your pain. I have been through countless stoopid thermometers until I finally found a couple that were accurate. I have a third that is always 5 degrees off, but at least I know that and can use it.

Occasionally, I'll dip all three into the same vat of melted wax to be sure they're still reading the same.

FRUSTRATING, isn't it? They can send folks to the moon, but we can't get stinking decent thermometers!! I have ruined batches of food, candles, and soap due to lousy thermometers. :mad:

Well, I sure am glad that I am not the only one.

Who would believe that something so simple could be so difficult. I mean, we're talking thermometers...this isn't nuclear physics! This is a basic kitchen instrument.

It's scary to think that so many ppl are cooking with the 'average thermometer' and they are off by as much as they are. Do you know how dangerous that can be?

My most accurate one is, in fact, a meat thermometer. The one out of 4 meat thermometers that was accurate.

I changed the battery in that digital one...still off. The wax is liquid and it's telling me that it's 115*

Well, it's something to remember when someone is having trouble with scent throw, sink holes, frosting...and all the other problems that can occur because the thermometer is not accurate.

I notice that we all kept the bad ones, too!! lol That's the problem, if the industry started getting them back en mass...that'd shake 'em!

Thanks for sharing, everyone. :)

Hi Fern,,I am so GLAD you started this post!! I have 2 candy thermometers and put both of them on my presto pot and they are NOT the same temp!! Gosh I couldnt figure out why one of my containers looked like frosting, I went back and looked and it is Bubbles from pouring to hot (using JS 50/50) so I decided to test my thermomters and yep I have a 5 degree difference!! I am wondering, they have digital thermometers at Wal-mart and they are 10.00 to 15.00 so I may try that before I go to infrared!! I love Harbour Freight they have some cool stuff in there!!! THANKS FERN!!!:grin2:

Hey Bre,

How ya doing? Hope your well.

Wanted to tell you, I just got the WalMart digital. I have not gotten a stable temp with it yet. It registers all over the place. I put in a new battery...nothing different...it is a full 15 degrees off.

A friend of mine has the same one, and has no problems. So she got one from that Harbour Freight and tested it side by side, and there was only one degree difference. I think I must have been whacked with a gypsy curse!

I am going to try the "Professional" thermometer at CS. I am desperate for another thermometer. It is $16-17 dollars, but if it works...I'll be a happy camper. If not, I am going to invest in a more expensive digital. What else can I do but keep trying.

It is alarming to me that ppl are out there unaware of this problem. I am stunned that it is such a problem!

Hope all is well for you,

Fern-Marie

Hi Fern Marie, I am doing well Thanks. Looks like Harbour Freight here I come or I may check out CS too,,,

I hope all is well with you!!! It has been so HOT here that I have had to start making candles at night! 113 here today!!! Thank goodness Wal-mart here is 24 hours because with those temps I need to do EVERYTHING I can at night,,LMBO!!

Keep in Touch!!!!

Your friend Breanna;)

I use the digital with remote probe. I have 4-5 of these and they are all within 1-2 degrees of one another,

Andy

http://shop.bakerscatalogue.com/detail.jsp;jsessionid=08302619271154607801307?id=4323&pv=1154607801576

Agree completely - this was the first thermometer I got almost two years ago when I first started (because of the alarms) and it only now just recently broke. Lately I wasn't concerned with the alarm feature so I've just been using the glass thermometers. I'll have to get another one of these soon though as I switched soy waxes and pour cool again now and having that alarm go off when it cools to "X" degrees makes life so much easier than babysitting it.