Ugly Soaps-the Dark Side of the Soaper's World

Brenda

Okay, soapers! Hidden away on the depths of my curing rack and stock boxes I have a couple of "diamonds in the rough". A while back Darwin said in a post, "There are no ugly soaps." Darwin, I must respectfully disagree with you. :grin2: All you need to do is cast your eyes upon one stellar example of a truly ugly soap (I do have more should further proof be required):

ugly.jpg

This is a soap even it's creator doesn't love. :laugh2: It looks like I fished it out of a swamp! What I learned from this ugly bar: Always check the discoloration notes for your FO before you decide on your color scheme.

Got any uglies you want to share in this thread? We are all used to seeing everyone's wonderful creations, so it might be fun (and uplifting for anyone who is dismayed by their good idea gone bad) to see others "less than perfect" soaps.

Any takers? :)

I have to tell ya, that my soaps I thought were the ugliest ever, others

have raved about them. The inside of the bar will discolor to match the

rest of the bar, so don't count this soap out yet. It may be a best

seller yet, then you will just have to keep making them.

BTW, I don't think they take the prize for the ugliest :D .

I had a log of soap that was lye heavy. I used citrus eo's and colored it yellow but put in too much yellow and it came out a really ugly orangey color. It also had lye crystals forming all over the outside of it and it ashed. I didn't take a picture, it was just too hideous.

I have to agree with you, that one fits into the ugly gallery along with a couple of mine, LOL! That is one ugly soap, LOL! You could call it surprise soap, because it is definately different on the inside than the outside.

I like it. Have any idea what would cause it?

I had one bar of M&P that turned out with the center white & the outside turned a dull grey...if the outside had been brown it would have looked like a Junior Mint. Never did figure out what caused it -- had to be the heavy FO load I used cause I didn't add any color and there isn't a lot you can do to screw up M&P

Darwin, I agree your soap is unique and not truly ugly! Your original Oranganse soap had good color! :yes:

Mine is truly ugly...it will never see leave my house except via the garbage bin. I told my sister who is dying to have a soap scented with Hypnotic Poison FO that she will have to wait until the next batch that is resting in the oven now is cured. If it doesn't turn out...I am done with trying to soap that FO! :tongue2:

Should we just turn this into an ugly soap thread cause I have one to share too.:P

Yes! :D That was my intent! To bring all our ugly soaps out of the closet and into the light of day to share what we learned about soaping through the making of our "less than perfect" batches. :)

Off to dig it out and post a pic....I swear sometimes I hear it laughing sinisterly at me from the closet, hehe.

Oh, found a pic of it I posted here a little while ago:

10242112gt.jpg

Just looking at it makes me cringe. But I tell you, I have had a piece of it next to my kitchen since for over a month, use it at least 5 times a day, and it does not even look like its been used. Its destined to last forever just to mock me.