Mottling without oil

This was made with 4045H. No scent, mineral oil, or additives other than 3 tbs/lb. of stearic. Several times I left a little wax harden in my Presto, and noticed it was mottling without any scent added. Uncolored wax also mottled. Thought I'd see if it would happen in a mold. This is the only candle I've made in the last several months. I thought either FO or mineral oil had to be added to get mottling. Guess I was wrong-as usual. I haven't posted for a long time. You never know, I might not post again for a while. :undecided

post-91-139458404721_thumb.jpg

That looks really nice. I bet it looks especially good lit.

The crystal structure of many straight paraffins will cause them to set up with some mottling unless you do something to prevent it. Before we used a lot of fragrance oil and intentionally sought the effect as a style, the "snow spots" were more often than not treated as imperfections to be eliminated.

This was made with 4045H. No scent, mineral oil, or additives other than 3 tbs/lb. of stearic. Several times I left a little wax harden in my Presto, and noticed it was mottling without any scent added. Uncolored wax also mottled. Thought I'd see if it would happen in a mold. This is the only candle I've made in the last several months. I thought either FO or mineral oil had to be added to get mottling. Guess I was wrong-as usual. I haven't posted for a long time. You never know, I might not post again for a while. :undecided
How ya doing? I haven't posted in a while either but I also haven't made any candles. Well a few dozen containers but thats it.

Thats a great looking red and Mottle. It's good to see your still around working at it.:wink2:

This is weird. I tried the same thing minus the stearic - and got almost no mottling with my 4045H poured at 180. I then remelted and added the standard 3 TBLs of stearic, re-poured at 180 again and it mottled like crazy!

Why would I need stearic to have the mottle kick in?

• 2 weeks later...