30 g unrefined shea butter

10 g avocado butter

15 g wheat germ oil

15 g emu oil

10 g borage oil

10 g evening primrose oil

30 g soy wax flakes

3 g Vitamin E

Melt butters and wax together until liquid. Heat oils to approximately 110*. Add oils and butter/wax mixture together between 100-110*. Mix together thoroughly. Add Vitamin E and mix again. I use a mixer to whip it as it cools, as if it were whipped shea, but keep in mind that it's intended to be balm consistency, so it won't whip high.

If you prefer b/w, add sub it for the soy by 1/2 amount: 15 g for this amount. I package it in 2 oz containers to sell, but I have it in an 8 ounce container for Henry at home, a little goes a loooooong way.

Hey there! can I buy some from you? My son is 15 and he has had eczema since he was a baby. Comes with the change of seasons and of course he wont put lotion on!! Such a stubborn age! Thanks for your help as I don't make soaps (yet!)

poohbaby, it's actually not a soap, it's a balm, like a solid lotion-type thing. Do you think he would use it, since he's not into lotion? It's like the Burt's Bees Farmer's Hand Repair stuff, and I package it in a unisex container, so it's not girly at all...if you're still interested, drop me an email at danielle AT purehenry DOT com.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi all,

I was wondering how to get some of this owie keem? (what a cute name) I tried daniedb's homepage but I can't figure out what to do next...lol:o I have horrible eczema next to my nose and my rx just isn't cutting it, actually it seems to be getting worse. Any help would be great. Thanks, Jen

• 3 weeks later...

I have horrible eczema this winter season and have had really good results with this balm. My only issue is that the soy wax gets grainy. Does anyone have any ideas on how to stop the soy wax from going grainy. I use it in lip balms and never have a problem, but this goes grainy in just a day.

Ann M

I know it's not the shea as I use it in many products and it never goes grainy. I made this the other day and decided not to melt the shea butter. I melted the soy wax, then added the shea. It immediately went grainy. I can see flecks of soy wax. I think I will try tempering the soy wax and see if that helps.

Ann M

first, I have shea go grainy in some products and not others. and sometimes it happens in a day or two, other times over months (it happens in some solid lotions and lip balms - but certainly not all, even tho the shea all comes from the same bucket!

but this aside, perhaps when you add the shea (which I assume is not melted based on how you wrote your post) then it lowers the temp of the melted soy enough to re-harden parts of it.

I think soy wax can do it if you actually haven't melted it long enough. I've done that with stearic in lotion. It looked melted, but it really wasn't hot enough yet and when you add cooler things to it, it seems to go back into flake like mode.

Makes sense in my head...not sure if I shared it right though. LOL

I think soy wax can do it if you actually haven't melted it long enough. I've done that with stearic in lotion. It looked melted, but it really wasn't hot enough yet and when you add cooler things to it, it seems to go back into flake like mode.

Makes sense in my head...not sure if I shared it right though. LOL

That totally makes sense to me. I tried a batch the other day where I melted and then quickly popped in the freezer. It does have a few grains, but nothing like before. Next time I will melt all butters and soy wax and then quickly freeze. I love this stuff, but hate the grains. I know it's soy wax and not shea as I can see the grains. They are large and do not melt like shea does.

Ann M

Could someone please translate this part of the direction for me?

"If you prefer b/w, add sub it for the soy by 1/2 amount"

what does "b/w" stand for? butter/wax? sorry to sound so dumb, but I guess at this moment I am...lol. Thanks so much.

Louise

Could someone please translate this part of the direction for me?

"If you prefer b/w, add sub it for the soy by 1/2 amount"

what does "b/w" stand for? butter/wax? sorry to sound so dumb, but I guess at this moment I am...lol. Thanks so much.

Louise

b/w stands for beeswax. You will need to use only half the amount of beeswax if you substitute it for the soy wax as it is much harder.

Ann M