Can't find Lye

*Sandie*

Not sure if all of California is having this but my area is not selling lye. I finally asked one store. They said because CRACK is made from it and didn't want to sell it because of future problems. Who thought to put lye in your mouth...LOL

I guess they want to destroy something when they take crack cocaine. Now I know what the smell is they keep talking about coming out of homes that are crack houses. So now all you soapers are going to have DEA breaking down your doors...LOL

So if any knows a chain that sells Lye I would love to know. Even Walmart isn't carring it.

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26197&highlight=lye

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26163&highlight=lye+lowes

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22077&highlight=lye+lowes

her are justa few of the MANY threads about lye. If you want to search the forum type lye, lowes, and you will find tons.

I got mine from my chemical supplier, no questions asked 55 lb bag delivered to my door step.

Not sure if all of California is having this but my area is not selling lye. I finally asked one store. They said because CRACK is made from it and didn't want to sell it because of future problems. Who thought to put lye in your mouth...LOL

I guess they want to destroy something when they take crack cocaine. Now I know what the smell is they keep talking about coming out of homes that are crack houses. So now all you soapers are going to have DEA breaking down your doors...LOL

So if any knows a chain that sells Lye I would love to know. Even Walmart isn't carring it.

Thechemistrystore.com has a good price on it, just need to fill out the hazmat forms if buying a bunch.

Lye is used in making Meth, not crack. :lipsrseal And that Meth crap is some dangerous garbage to mess around with. We've had buildings in the city here blow sky high because of the shit that is used to make it. Plus, from what I've heard, the fumes *stay* in the house/building or whatever for a LONG time after they finish making it. So people moving into a 'new' house, can be exposed to the fumes from the prevoius owner. Bad bad stuff.

Lye is used in making Meth, not crack. :lipsrseal And that Meth crap is some dangerous garbage to mess around with. We've had buildings in the city here blow sky high because of the shit that is used to make it. Plus, from what I've heard, the fumes *stay* in the house/building or whatever for a LONG time after they finish making it. So people moving into a 'new' house, can be exposed to the fumes from the prevoius owner. Bad bad stuff.

DH had a friend who buys homes for rentals. One of his renters got caught making meth. He had to tear down all the sheet rock and re-do it, was the only way he could get the smell out. He sold all his rentals, to many problems, not to mention expense.

try calling around to some cleaning supply places - and again, Lowes has it in their plumbing department....someone posted a picture of the container. I finally found a janitorial supply place that was able to get me 50# pails of it...and the price is much, much cheaper! And I live in a town of only 10000 people.....might not be easy, but some phone calls or let your 'fingers do the walking' in the yellow pages for janitorial supply/cleaning supplies - you'll find it!

Good luck!

Debbie

If you go to the Lowes web site here: http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=146450-331-HD-CRY&lpage=none

and put in your zip code it will tell you where you can pick it up locally (at which Lowes). I drove 10 miles, but it was faster than the internet! it's 2# for $8.

I read the MSDS and it looks pure. I'm going to make some soap with it tomorrow I think (I wanted to do it tonight, but I haven't seen my boyfriend for 2 weeks and he is just insisting on coming over. Darn him!

post-3683-139458404271_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
If you go to the Lowes web site here: http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=146450-331-HD-CRY&lpage=none

and put in your zip code it will tell you where you can pick it up locally (at which Lowes). I drove 10 miles, but it was faster than the internet! it's 2# for $8.

I read the MSDS and it looks pure. I'm going to make some soap with it tomorrow I think (I wanted to do it tonight, but I haven't seen my boyfriend for 2 weeks and he is just insisting on coming over. Darn him!

That's the kind I use as well. I have had nothing but great results from it. It's about 7 or 8 bucks for a can. I need to stock up on some more because mine is almost gone. Whatever you do don't use Draino it's not for soaping.

Thank you!!! I have been lurking mostly on this site and dying to try cp/hp but no lye available and haven't ordered on the web yet. I will send my dh to lowe's today!!! God bless you for adding the pic and the link. Seems like I'll be soaping in no time flat, thanks to you!

It's in the plumbing section. Make sure he gets the right thing. Round plastic jar. Yellow and Red label that reads

Roebic

Crystal Drain Opener

(Says HEAVY DUTY along left side of label)

First line on back starts: "Roebic Crystal Drain Opener is 100% sodium hydroxide..."

Show him the picture.

I just got a 50 lb bag of lye ... my supplier delivered it right to my front door. Price was under a $1 a lb .. can you tell I am beyond thrilled :D Don't miss those days of running all over town and maybe finding a can or two and paying big dollars for a can of it.