Wax / FO Calculation

I just want to make sure I am calculating this correctly, I did some reasearch and am still a little confused.

I have a 9 oz Honey Pot jar. I weight it without the lid - 4.45 oz. I then filled with water and weight again - 14.90 oz. So that means I need 10.45 oz of weight.

So at

6% FO - 10.45 * .06 = .627 oz (weight)

94% Wax - 10.45 *.94 = 9.823 oz (weight)

100% = 10.45 oz (weight)

So this would fill my jar up to the same point I filled with water?

would this be correct. Do I also have to include the coloring weight % in this also?

Thanks for your help

You've almost got it. The only glitch is that you're using the water weight, which would leave you with a fair amount left over because the same volume of wax weighs less than water. Multiply the water weight by .86 to get the weight of material to fill the jar and substitute that in your percentage calculations.

I did try the calculator and I got 8.99 oz, but didn't really know what that meant. But now I do (I think).

so is this correct

10.45 * .86 = 8.99 (Which is what the calculator gave me) - so lets say 9

6% FO - .06 * 9 = .54 oz

94% Wax - .94 * 9 = 8.46 oz

100% - 9 oz

Thanks again everyone.

OK, here you go Oliver. Fill the honey pot with water. Dump into a measuring up and note the volume. Multiply that # by .86 to get the WEIGHT of wax needed to fill the jar.

Let's pretend this is a miracle and a 9 oz honey pot actually holds 9 ounces of liquid. 9 x .86=7.74 solid wax weight to fill and .49 oz FO for 6% FO.

To further add to the confusion, some containers that are labeled "8 oz." will only hold 8 oz. of water capacity when filled to the very brim! Who fills a container that full, realistically? KWIM?

I've found many so-called 8 oz. jars only comfortably hold 6-7 oz. of wax (by weight) at best.

Whoops, duty calls ... got wax ready to be poured. Back in a few ...

I did try the calculator and I got 8.99 oz, but didn't really know what that meant. But now I do (I think).

so is this correct

10.45 * .86 = 8.99 (Which is what the calculator gave me) - so lets say 9

6% FO - .06 * 9 = .54 oz

94% Wax - .94 * 9 = 8.46 oz

100% - 9 oz

Thanks again everyone.

Yup, that's exactly right...assuming the water weight was correct. I was a little surprised how much water you fit into that container. Not that I've used that jar, so I'm not saying it's wrong.

Yup, that's exactly right...assuming the water weight was correct. I was a little surprised how much water you fit into that container. Not that I've used that jar, so I'm not saying it's wrong.

Thank you for your help. I will check it again, I did it late last night so I could have easily made a mistake. I thought it was weird that it worked out to be the same in weight as the size of the container. I bought the containers at the jar store so maybe they use the actual weight that the candle will be? Just guessing, I will let you know. If you are interested at looking you can find the jar at www.thejarstore.com

Thanks again