Pics of the "twisted" wick

Many people that use flat braid wick complain of the lopsided burn they get in their pillars. I've tried to explain the whole twisted concept many times and decided to show pictures for the " newbies"

Pic # 1 is just the metal tape on the bottom, fast and for me fool proof, no leaks.

metaltapeonmold.jpg

Pic # 3 This is where I take the end of the wick and start twisting until it is a VERY tight twist. I then pull it as taut as I can before securing it between the 2 rubber banded sticks. The full length of the wick is now 5" so an inch has been taken up by being twisted.

wick3.jpg

Sorry, knew that I forgot something. Yes, for all the people that complain about lopsided burns because the flat braid wick tends to curl down to one side. If you do this, the wick slowly uncurls as it burns so that the burn is even all the way down. It was in response to

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25975

Twisting it adds about an extra 2 seconds to my wicking. I have explained to people but wasn't sure if the " twisted" part was fully understood. E's last post to the above thread was what prompted the pics.

So that's in response to my question, huh? Well THANKS so much for the idea. I'm going to definitely give it a try. I usually use wick pins though. I wonder if you could twist the wick, then dip it in wax to get it to hold the "twist"? And then insert it into the candle the regular way.

I wonder if you could twist the wick, then dip it in wax to get it to hold the "twist"? And then insert it into the candle the regular way.

I'm gonna guess no since the twisted wick is going to be wider than a regular straight wick. The whole left from the wick pin probably won't accomodate a twisted, primed wick. That's just my educated guess however.

C

Hey twisted sisters.

I experimented with a twist when I first heard it from you guys, but I haven't been doing it because my wicks weren't burning especially lopsided. Now I'm using wicks that bend more so I'm thinking of introducing it.

Problem is, I don't have time to re-test all the wicking. I'm thinking if twisted so radically with a whole extra length of wick in there, it could affect the burn.

Do you think it's necessary to wind it up so tightly or can I just be moderately twisted?

yeah, that's what I was wondering too(what Top asked) I twist mine, but no where near as twisted as the picture, not to where it makes an inch difference. You'd think it'd burn a bit differently like that. But do you get different burn results with it that twisted?? do you need to trim the wick more frequently?

Sheila is much more twisted than I am. :wink2:

She is very right about that and I will not deny it!!:rolleyes2

No you don't have to twist it that tight. I do it because of using palm wax. ( and that little extra bit of thickness adds to the burning power )

Also I think if you twisted it and held both ends, dipped into high melt wax and held it until it dried that it should fit through the wick hole. I did it with a 24 braid and it worked fine. It's like anything else, test until you find out what works best for you. And twist at different tightness ratios because the tighter the twist the more it burns like slightly larger wick. Sometimes the 30's aren't quite big enough and the 36 are too big, so I twist the heck out of it until it burns like a 33 might. The best part for me is I now rarely have a blowout on my palm from the wick leaning ( knock, knock on wood ). Anyway, when you have time to play ( which is always what I'm doing ) then give it a try. Oh yeah, sometimes you do have to trim the wick more because it can be like using a bigger wick.

Thanks for the pictures Sheila. Just did a search on curled wicks and this post popped up.

I've been testing ECO wicks in my containers - trying to get away from the dreaded mushrooming - and have had problems with off center melt pools. I had only been doing 1 twist every inch of wick. Looks like I need to get more aggressive with the twisting. Know customers won't read instructions to nudge the wick if they won't trim wicks. Thanks again. Off to do some 'twisted' testing.