Burn tests for self-consuming pillars

Do you folks think it's legitimate to test wicks on the basis of 4 hour burns to create a 3 inch pillar that burns without a shell? In my heart of hearts I'm partial to lower wicking and lower rates of consumption, but I guess it's probably more realistic to wick up and base it on 3 hours tests. Opinions?

I have found, IMO, that one 3hr burn will not tell me how the pillar will do on the 5th or 6th burns. Many times, the first 3 burns look perfect...then suddenly I get bulging or otherwise.

I try to burn more than three hrs, since I have to assume that a customer will not pay attention to time, however I usually don't burn for more than 4hrs at a time either.

Hmmm...not sure I've answered your question. I've reread it, but now Im confusing myself! :rolleyes2

Sorry, my question may not have been clear.

If you want the candle to be fully consumed (no shell), the wicking necessary to accomplish that will vary depending on the burn times you're designing for.

For instance, if you test with 4 hour burns, it will probably require a smaller wick size to achieve the melt pool diameter you need. If you test with 3 hour burns, you might have to wick up in order to heat the outer rim enough to have it curl in and melt.

Personally I'd rather go with longer burn times and smaller wicks, but I think 3 hour burn tests are more standard than 4. In fact, I think people generally are more prone to burn candles for too short a period of time and have them tunnel down the center, rather than too long, so 3 hour tests are probably more realistic.

I'm not absolutely sure that's the right conclusion though, so I was asking for opinions on the best testing times for 3 inch pillars.

Aha! I'm still confused. LOL

I tend to test between 3-4 hours each burn. I don't always specifically stop at a certain time and maybe I should...however, I don't judge anything until at least the 5th or 6th burn. The first burn might be nowhere near big enough for me, but by the 3rd and 4th, it's right where I want it.

I have a 6" pillar that I was testing, it was (IMO) perfect for the first 5 burns. Suddenly, around burn 6 or so, it started to bulge! WTF??

Okay, I'm not making sense either. Maybe it's the Saturday night margaritas?? LOL

But if you keep letting it burn or the next time it is lit the bulging part melts away, right? I didn't know bulging was wrong if it ends up consuming the sides most of the way. Now, am I making sense? :rolleyes: And with no margaritas, lol

Murry Hill, a little bit ago I was thinking the same thing. I liked the flame better on the shorter burn candles but I felt safer selling the longer burning one with smaller wicks. Then I changed my wax formula and it has become very clear which wick to choose. I think I would go for the longer burnand smaller wick as long as you have a nice flame. I would expect most people not to pay attention to how long their candle is lit. Before I started making candles I rarely thought about burn times, especially if I was trying to have the aroma fill my house.

This is a hard question because you just never know how long people will burn them. I started wicking for a three hour burn and I had more complaints that they had a blow out. So then I went to a smaller wick and the burn was closer to a 4 hour burn. The bulge that I think you are talking about is when it is time to hug the pillar. I gently slide the bulge upward and then press the shell toward the flame and the shell melts. I like the 30 ply right now for a 3" using 1343. I tired the 24 ply and it left a nice shell on most fragrances. On special orders I ask the customer how long do you burn your pillars and then explain which wick I will use to accommodate their burn habits. I give them a detailed info sheet on proper burning, importance of trimming wicks and drafts and dancing flames, as I am sure you do.

But for candles in shops where I can't talk to the buyer I usually wick on the conservative side, take the chance of more people to be marathon burners.

Thanks for sharing your views on the burn tests.

Bulging is a related but different matter. I like to design the wax formulation so that the outer rim curls in without bulging. I call it auto-consumption. :) To me it just gives more of a "premium" impression if the thing doesn't bulge or need hugging. Even though I love candles I don't want them to require that much affection to burn down nicely.

I tend to do 4 hour tests. I figure that customers are usually going to be burning that long anyway. And I want to pick a wick for that time frame that will consume nicely and not spill. But I tend to wick larger than some on pillars - I like to keep a "dryer" melt pool so it won't spill and the walls come down nicely. Course octagonal walls act a bit differently than round.

I know ppl say burn the candle for like 3 hours ... I never do. I figure ppl will burn candles however long they want regardless of instructions or cautionary notes.

It is my thought that the biggest advantage to burning candles for the same amt of time would be for side-by-side comparisons, to compare apples to apples instead of apples to oranges, so to speak.

I've never heard of this ... If you want the candle to be fully consumed (no shell), the wicking necessary to accomplish that will vary depending on the burn times you're designing for.

For instance, if you test with 4 hour burns, it will probably require a smaller wick size to achieve the melt pool diameter you need. If you test with 3 hour burns, you might have to wick up in order to heat the outer rim enough to have it curl in and melt.

Dang! Something new to think about ... as if wicking for actual diameter weren't enough!! :undecided Sigh.

To me it just gives more of a "premium" impression if the thing doesn't bulge or need hugging. Even though I love candles I don't want them to require that much affection to burn down nicely.

Exactly! I think that's what we all strive for. You need to test the entire pillar. I'm doing one right now.. No hugging LOL!

e

hummm, I think someone could make a mint if they make a auto hugging pillar snuffer. Ya know, a little cap that will snuff and have just a little curve and a quarter inch built in hug to it so when the slide it down over the pillar it will give you a smokeless snuff (no, not like skol) and a hug at the same time. Could be made in 3 inch 4 inch or any other popular size pillar diameters.

Remember, you heard it here first as far as i know. :cool2:

Bruce

hummm, I think someone could make a mint if they make a auto hugging pillar snuffer. Ya know, a little cap that will snuff and have just a little curve and a quarter inch built in hug to it so when the slide it down over the pillar it will give you a smokeless snuff (no, not like skol) and a hug at the same time. Could be made in 3 inch 4 inch or any other popular size pillar diameters.

Remember, you heard it here first as far as i know. :cool2:

Bruce

Dude, let's not forget the auto-centering feature.

What are your feelings about wick trimming for burn tests? My general impulse has been to start each burn with a perfect 1/4" trim, using my handy device. However, now that I'm considering the issue of realism, would you think it better practice to take the performance of untrimmed burns into account when making a wicking decision? A wick one size down but trimmed just slightly longer can often handily outpace the larger wick, at least for a while.