labels questions

I also make my own labels and hang tags. I have had them printed by a print shop in the past and it is cheaper in the long run. But I don't live near a city and making them myself is simpler for me.

Janette

I used to work for a printing company and we did label orders all the time. In the long run ordering them will be cheaper. Label companies are equipped to do just that make labels, so they can do it cheaper than a home computer or copy machine. But a word of caution. Be prepared to spend quite a bit up front to get the labels in all the different sizes you need. Also make sure you are 100% sure you like the design becasue most label companies require minimum orders of 250 or 500 labels per design. I am probably going to make a lot of people mad here, but I think you should know. The retail markup by most label companies is 100% or close to it depending on how the printing company handles shipping. Where I worked we doubled what the labels cost us then added shipping cost we were charged and that's what the customer paid. If you want to order labels, ask if the printing co. will give you a 15% discount or something. Or if you order a certain amount, if they'll give you a discount. Most places will if you're a repeat customer.

Now if you choose to make your labels at home, try to buy the labels from a paper retailer such as Xpedx. They supply to printing companies and some locations have a retail outlet as well. I'm really lucky because I can get this stuff at cost. Here in Texas my ex-boss let me purcahse (from Xpedx) 100 full sheet glossy labels, using his account, and they only cost me $14.00. Office Max and Office Depot want that much for only 25 sheets!

Good luck deciding!

I use Print Shop and white waterproof labels...and sometimes hang tags from biz card stock you can get at office max for almost nothing for like 1000 cards. ..design my own and can change them at the drop of a hat..like when you have to change the dyes on bath bombs for EACH color. Not worth it for me to go to a printer..MUCH cheaper this way..and more convenient.

I also do all of my own printing (for everything). And I buy blank white bz card from Quills.. I pay $16.00 for 2,000 (their brand) and if my order is over $45 the shipping is free. And even if I'm under the $45 it still only cost me a few dollars for shipping.

Jeanna

Do you have to have a special program to change the scent name on each label?

Did you know Peaks will do semi custom labels?..it will have the scent and your biz name/addy/phone on them..they would be on the caution lable..so all you would have to do is make on regular label with your logo or name on it..and stick it to the front of the jar.;) They are not expensive at all. I just started to get them..and from now on everytime I order I am going to get labels to go with the scent.

Do you have to have a special program to change the scent name on each label?

I use Print Shop for all of my printing need and have for years.. What I do is save a copy on the pc and when it comes time for labels I just pull it up, type in the scent print what I need, and move on to the next one.. I also just started up doing my own warning labels to and I do the same thing. I have copies saved for each warning label for type of candle.

Jeanna

I used to make all my own labels, but we really started picking up and I was actually having to add that cost into each product. It came out to 12¢ each label I would do (ink, paper, labor), so I looked around for some printers to help defer my costs.

Now my labels are .004 each (yes, that's 4 labels for 1¢), but I did have to make a large investment for them, I can't change my mind until they are all gone, and if I come up with new scents or products, I have to get another label made.

My advice is to crunch the numbers - DON'T FORGET YOUR LABOR - that is what was the best part about getting all my labels done professionally. No longer was I staying up all hours of the night printing out candle, soap and sorbet labels (that just ended up sucking once they hit the water)

I have my product labels printed by Creative Type...and have been buying the caution labels from Peaks...I did purchase some 2" round labels because I wanted to learn to print my own warning labels for "special" candles.....well...for someone that is not too computer savvy, it isn't that easy! I know how to use Design Pro, but of course the 2" round label is not on there! UGH! Without knowing how to set up margins properly etc...I have wasted so much time trying to get them to print right.

I will say that the onlinelables site had very reasonable prices for those of you that know what you are doing!

At one point I bought the Label Factory software......wound up in the cabinet....not good for me!

Edited to add that after WAY too much time and tweaking I finally managed to get everything spaced correctly! What a task!