since I have the time....

CareBear

OK, I really don't have the time, cause I'm working out my bath bombs and struggling with my solid lotions - but I"d LOVE to give soap a try. M&P sounds ok, but so many of the CP stuff you guys do really wows me. Do you think it best to start with M&P, or can I jump right in to CP?

I'm not expecting perfect results, but something with a fun scent that doesn't kill my dry skin would be delightful (and Christmas is coming....)

Advice, please..

thanks, Carol

I jumped right into CPOP, which is cold process oven process. Which is CP, but instead of covering up the soap and wrapping it up in towels and blankets to get it to gel, you put it in a slightly warm oven. I have only been soaping since last January, and I have to give you 3 words of warning, IT IS ADDICTING! LOL!

Kerry:

Can I ask how long you put the soap into the warm (170 degrees?) oven? For about 2 hours?? I'm thinking of trying my hand at CP soap and I'm gathering information. It takes less time to cure after you've had it in the oven, right? Thanks for your help!

Susan

In the beginning, I put it in the 170 degree oven for 2 hours, then I backed it down to 1 hour. With my batches, they usually start gelling in about an hour. So after an hour, I shut off the oven and leave it in there overnight. Mine are usually firm enough the next morning to cut, if I do a batch that afternoon.

Sure you can jump into CP as long as you read up on a lot of what to do and having someone mentor you is great too. I couldn't have gotten through a lot of first batches of anything without Shutterbug and Sherie and Janis and Carrie and Hawaiian Sun and CindyM and Robin's pictorial of the process and so many other people on here and other boards.

Sure you can jump into CP as long as you read up on a lot of what to do and having someone mentor you is great too. I couldn't have gotten through a lot of first batches of anything without Shutterbug and Sherie and Janis and Carrie and Hawaiian Sun and CindyM and Robin's pictorial of the process and so many other people on here and other boards.

Aww Julie we learned together and it was fun. I've only made 4 batches and trying to get the freakin hang of swirling. :shocked2:

I started with M&P then went to CP, which I'm still learning , both are fun M&P you can get creative and there are different kinds of molds you can use. CP is great cause it was all from scratch. Scary and challanging at the same time. I get a rush when I do CP. And as the ladies above said soaping is addicting.

Good luck you'll be hooked which ever way you go. ;)

That's what I was going to say. Don't "jump right in" to CP until you do your research.

I started out with CP and Goatmilk soap was my FIRST batch. I still have a bar of it.

BUT I read everysingle page on the soapdish before I attempted CP. I was scared to death at first but after the first couple of batches I felt better. Oh and I had the puter on and the Dish up while I was making the soap and a few of the ladies were there if I needed them.

you will have fun making soap and it IS addicting!!

Patricia

I personally don't see the benefit of starting with MP. The processes are so different that I don't think knowing how to do one will help with learning to do the other.

Of course, this is coming from someone who has a much easier time with CP. I can't make a nice, let alone beautiful log of MP to save my life, lol. I do recommend playing with both. One can never know too many ways to make soap. ;)

I personally don't see the benefit of starting with MP. The processes are so different that I don't think knowing how to do one will help with learning to do the other.

That's kinda what I was thinking, but then I thought - gee I should (a) start with the "easiest" and (B) know the whole range (if that is possible).

Hmmmmm. I think you will be seeing more of me soon!

I read the millers site for months. Then I went on a "play date" with someone in town and she showed me how to do it.

Hey, J, Arwensage is coming over tomorrow and I'm going to show her how to make GM soap! How cool is THAT? :highfive:

You've got a great resource of people here. Use us. We all remember our first batch

Tis true. But my first batch.. Since 5% superfat would be great for the skin... i figured 10% would be even better!:rolleyes2

And it was.. after 8 months of curing... it was fine!

I don't recommend it though.. took 2 months to get it outta the mold!;)