Need strong scents for GW464: Peaks & JS

I would like to order some samples from Peaks and JS. I am using GW 464 and have not had good luck finding strong (hot) throwers for this wax. I've ordered so far only from ICS and BCN and have only gotten "moderate" throw from a couple/few scents but none I could classify as "strong" or "awesome". Anyone out there using/testing this wax who can steer me to some scents which are truly "strong" hot throwers in the 464? Ironically...the cold throw of this wax is OUTSTANDING and sometimes I feel it is better than the cold throw with most of the scents I've tested (I come home and open the door of my apartment and can smell the cold throw...many times I can't when the candle is burning!). Just as an fyi...I am using 8oz tins (a little over 3" diameter) and I've pretty much decided on using a CD10 wick for most of the scents I'm burning). Thanks in advance...I'm still a soy newbie!!:cool2:

I only tested one FO in this (Mc Hillbilly Homebrew. Great throw). But if you look back through the other threads on 464, people have mentioned what FOs they used in testing and what their results were. That would be a good place to start. Other than that, check the sticky on this page for FOs for Soy and just start testing. :)

Here are some of JS I have done in the464 Perfect Pear CJ's cinnamon donuts,Apple berry Spice,Candied blueberries,blueberry cheesecake,Mimosa and Mandarin,Sweet Orange Pomegranite,Baby Magic,Berrie buttercream,Chestnuts and brown sugar, All had good throw for me.

Here are some of JS I have done in the464 Perfect Pear CJ's cinnamon donuts,Apple berry Spice,Candied blueberries,blueberry cheesecake,Mimosa and Mandarin,Sweet Orange Pomegranite,Baby Magic,Berrie buttercream,Chestnuts and brown sugar, All had good throw for me.

Thanks alot...that's just the kind of info I need! I've already checked the "FO's for soy" thread and many of the ones on that list have not thrown well for me which is why I wanted specific info from peoepl who are using (specifically) gw464. Thanks again!

Hi,,Im testing the GB464 and I am using Just scents and Peaks FO's and have had some good luck in these,,

Peaks:

Almond Pastries

Rose Bouquet

Heather

storm watch

Vanilla Passion

French Vanilla and Amber

Just scent:

Black Cherry

Berrie Breeze

Sweet Pea

Pink Bombshell

Island Mango

Sex on the beach

Snowtop:

Raspberry Dream

Orange Blossom

So far these have given me a great Hot throw as well as cold throw,,Also you need to make sure you have the proper wick as this too will aid in the throw. HTH ;)

So far these have given me a great Hot throw as well as cold throw,,Also you need to make sure you have the proper wick as this too will aid in the throw. HTH ;)

Thanks!!! I will add these to my list of FO's to try!

In addition to Peaks:

Pink Sugar

Wild Raspberry

Downy Fresh

Black Raspberry Vanilla

I have recently poured these in 464 and tested they are strong. I like peaks scents. I actually wish they would carry a broader selection. Millcreek has very strong scents in Soy since that is all they have to offer. I have had great luck with their scents. I havent tested a weak one of theirs yet. I like JS seclections but sometimes I get hit or misses with them more often than the others. I kind of gravitate toward the companies that say they tested in wax. Bittercreek is good for that.

In addition to Peaks:

I kind of gravitate toward the companies that say they tested in wax. Bittercreek is good for that.

Thanks for the advice...I did test several scents from BCN (Verbena Berry, Lime Leaf and Lily, Basil, Sage & Mint & Vanilla Velvet), all of whom supposely throw well in soy and was somehwat diappointed by all but the Vanilla Velvet (1.5 oz pp). I tried some ICS scents and got some slightly "better" results with Japanese Plum, Raspberry Lemonade and Mango/Papaya but still nothing really GREAT. I will definitely try Mill Creek and Peaks. Maybe I'll hold off on the JS for now. I do wish Peaks had more/unusual scents, though...Oh well!

Although I don't use the CD wicks, I have found that using a single large wick in a 3" container tends to burn off the FO using pure soy and prevent a good hot throw. You might try two smaller wicks and see if your hot throw improves.

A strong thrower for me from Peaks in 100% soy have been the Black Rasp Vanilla and Jamaica me crazy. Haven't tried any JS yet.

Although I don't use the CD wicks, I have found that using a single large wick in a 3" container tends to burn off the FO using pure soy and prevent a good hot throw. You might try two smaller wicks and see if your hot throw improves.

A strong thrower for me from Peaks in 100% soy have been the Black Rasp Vanilla and Jamaica me crazy. Haven't tried any JS yet.

Thanks for the advice...I think my wick is small enough...most people who use cd's in 8oz tins use cd12-16 so i think by cd 10 is probabably not too large. I will try curing a little longer and will experiment with the temperature at which to add the scent as well. Thanks again!:rolleyes2

• 2 months later...

What wicks are you using for the GW464? I've read that papercore wicks work best, especially to keep a great hot throw throughout the whole candle.

Thanks

I am using cd wicks after having tried various other types (Eco, RRD, HTP, etc., but no papercore) but am getting ready to try the 700 series. I may try the paper core as wll later on. I have been getting better scent throw after letting the wax cure longer...1-2 weeks appears to be working.