Cost of making a soy candle in a Jelly jar

Just thought this would be interesting to see how different everyone's cost is to make the same candle.

I buy all my supplies in bulk price also includes shipping

Jelly Jars with rust lids .40

Wick .07

Wax .38

Scent .59

Dye .01

Labels .15

Total $1.60

I don't make jelly jars, but I would have to think wouldn't the cost depend on what type of FO you are using?? Not all FO costs the same price pp.

When I figure my cost I also figure how many labels I can print with my ink cartridge and divide the cost...are you including the cost of the ink or just the label?

Also, I like to always include a "Miscellaneous" category in my cost model, to account for waste, testing, broken containers, etc. Basically all the stuff that it would be tough to account for otherwise. I normally make this approximately 10% to 20% of my total cost model.

Well lets see all the JJ makers chime in here and tell us how much it cost them to make an 8 oz JJ.

I dont make SOY, I make Parafin and for my 9 oz Hex Jars, it only costs me $1.80 to make 1 jar. And like Barbara I add an extra 20 cents for extras that are NOT ink, labels, and such.

Oh and much like Barbara, I DONT use cheap FO's either.

I agree dixiegal.I can get 8 ounce JJ local but they cost $6.50 a case or more.So that is defintely more than 40 cents each and then gas to get them.I am happy to have places nearby BUT still that cost has gone up.Wal Mart is almost $7.00 for a case.Have to double check but I looked and thought that is outrageous.Almost 3 years ago I got them for $4.99 a case.I also get the lids.I do not like the 2 piece lids.So that is extra too.I have to have those shipped.My cost is well over $2.00.

LynnS

Wow,

I'm getting my jars at the wrong place too. It costs me about 9.00 per dozen jars. Which is .75 cents a jar. I wish I could find them cheaper locally, but it isn't really any cheaper for me to have them shipped in by the time I pay shipping and handling. I have to drive an hour to even get to the closest walmart, lol.

If she's getting her wax at 56 cents a pound with shipping I'd bet she's also buying more than a dozen jars at a time, too.

Just a guess. Buying in major bulk is often much cheaper.

I'm thinking she pays more than 56 cents a pound. If she's using an 8 oz jelly jar, she's only getting about 6.7 oz of wax to it. so 6.7 oz at the 38 cents that she posted.....comes out to about 91 cents a pound. I'm Candlewic normally sells their soy 125 for .96 a pound when you buy a case, right now however it's only .80 cents per pound until June 9. That gets your cost down to .33-.34 cents a jelly jar for wax.

I'm a numbers guy, what can I say!

C

If youre NOT buying by the pallet then youre paying alot more. Trust me, I know BarbaraC personally and have been to her house and can vouch the numbers she has posted.

Ill use myself as an example. I used to buy my 9 oz hex jars from fillmore containers. Then they up'd <sp> the price by 75 cents a case. I started doing my little googling and found another place where I can get them ALOT cheaper than what I was paying them originally from fillmore. And here I thought I was getting the best price NOW with fillmore when I was NOT. Even when I informed Fillmore, they acted as if nothing so I dropped them and went with the other company. ok now get this...this other company is further away from me than fillmore and the shipping is cheaper. go figure.

Yep. There have to be suppliers that cater to all types; little guys who don't want much at a time and can't meet big minimums, all the way to those who want pallets at a time and want the cost break for it, and everyone in between.

Nothing wrong with that. :)

Ashlie K,

I currently use Fillmore and the shipping is killing me, I live about 2 hours from them.

I've been looking for another supplier for jars, but can't seem to get a better deal. If you wouldn't mind sharing that supplier's name, I'd be very appreciative. Hoping you can pm me with that information (oh please, oh please, oh please!!!!!!!!!!!).

Thanks so much. :highfive:

She also posted later in the thread that she added 10 cents to the cost of the wax for "electricity", so if she's using 6.7oz of wax per jar that's still a comfy 67 cents a pound for wax, including shipping.

I repeat again from my last post.....she said that she pays 38 cents for the wax in the jelly jar. That would make her pay 91 cents a pound. You can get 1 case of soy wax, 50 lbs at Candlewic for 80 cents a pound. That would bring your cost of you ordered from them down to about 33 cents for the wax per jelly jar.

The moral of the story is that you don't have to buy truckload and by the pallet to get a good deal....sometimes a good sale will suffice.

Not trying to get under anyones skin or to irritate.....just want to clarify the misunderstandings from some of the other previous posts in regards to numbers.

Thanks,

C

I repeat again from my last post.....she said that she pays 38 cents for the wax in the jelly jar. That would make her pay 91 cents a pound.
I add an extra .10 to the wax and .10 to the scent to cover electric, paper towels

That's twenty-eight cents for the wax, isn't it?

I'm not irritated; heck I even made the mistake of first calculating the wax at 8 ounces per jar (duh, I know). Just making sure I have the numbers straight.

That's twenty-eight cents for the wax, isn't it?

I'm not irritated; heck I even made the mistake of first calculating the wax at 8 ounces per jar (duh, I know). Just making sure I have the numbers straight.

*lol* ok, now you got me.....yeah, that would be 28 cents, so about 67 cents when we calculate it that way...hehe...I sure feel dumb about now...so yeah, 67 cents...a great deal.

so Crowded, put the two of us together and we'll get it figured out eventually! :highfive: