Cost of making a soy candle in a Jelly jar

It costs me 2.38 to make a 9oz hex jar candle. I live in OR and shipping almost doubles the price of wax for me.

Patricia

I'm glad you chimed in, It also costs me well over $2.00 to make my 9oz hex jar. I was really starting to wonder what I was doing wrong,LOL. I have the same issue with shipping!!

*lol* ok, now you got me.....yeah, that would be 28 cents, so about 67 cents when we calculate it that way...hehe...I sure feel dumb about now...so yeah, 67 cents...a great deal.

so Crowded, put the two of us together and we'll get it figured out eventually! :highfive:

LOL...this must be why accounting is such a lucrative business! :grin2:

Who's ridiculing? Obviously BarbaraC has done a good job getting her costs down. That's been great for her and a nice eye-opener for everyone who has been paying more.

I appreciate someone who is willing to come on here and provide a benchmark for lower costs.

As far as the "arguing", I think most of it has been a lot of us correcting each other's math.:laugh2:

speacking of math Ive just realized that I thought that I made my candles for 2.50 when I redid my MATH:mad: (I hate math!) I was actually making them for about 1.96 a 8oz jj. so Ill be able to cut my prices down a little maybe I can make make wholesale accounts like that:yay:

My question to Barbara....was not to ridicule... I wanted to know if all of her FO was priced the same or does it vary by scent...would that in fact change her numbers.

I do not make jj, but have noticed that if I purchase FO that is 13.95lb my FO cost is less than if I purchase FO that is 18.95lb and that I have to adjust my prices accordingly.

So what I did was find out how much it costs me per oz for all my FO that I have and find a medium...I guess I was trying to ask how she came up with her FO numbers??

If someone else has a better idea then I would sure like to know how they figure the costs of their FO.

I honestly don't think anyone is arguing or ridiculing...just trying to figure out how she came up with her numbers to get them that low.

My question to Barbara....was not to ridicule... I wanted to know if all of her FO was priced the same or does it vary by scent...would that in fact change her numbers.

I do not make jj, but have noticed that if I purchase FO that is 13.95lb my FO cost is less than if I purchase FO that is 18.95lb and that I have to adjust my prices accordingly.

So what I did was find out how much it costs me per oz for all my FO that I have and find a medium...I guess I was trying to ask how she came up with her FO numbers??

If someone else has a better idea then I would sure like to know how they figure the costs of their FO.

I honestly don't think anyone is arguing or ridiculing...just trying to figure out how she came up with her numbers to get them that low.

I calculate my FO by the higher priced one....so in your case I would use the $18.95 FO to figure my cost. ....If I used the cheaper FO in a candle...that is more gravy for me.

See if this is right, please. I average my FO at $20 per lb. My candles have 9 oz of wax and I put 1.5 oz FO per lb of wax. I figure it cost $1.08 per candle for FO alone. Jars are sq. Mason at .33 each; bottom sticker is .02; lid is .10; hang tag is .03; fabric to hang tag about .03; wick .05; wax .36 for 9oz; .25 for miss. supplies and electric. So $2.20 my cost, wholesale for $5.50. And I think I get most this at a fairly good cost but not good enough..... Need to bring down the cost of FO, my goal for the future.

See if this is right, please. I average my FO at $20 per lb. My candles have 9 oz of wax and I put 1.5 oz FO per lb of wax. I figure it cost $1.08 per candle for FO alone. Jars are sq. Mason at .33 each; bottom sticker is .02; lid is .10; hang tag is .03; fabric to hang tag about .03; wick .05; wax .36 for 9oz; .25 for miss. supplies and electric. So $2.20 my cost, wholesale for $5.50. And I think I get most this at a fairly good cost but not good enough..... Need to bring down the cost of FO, my goal for the future.

May I ask where you get sq. masons for .33 and lids for .10.............

Cincinnati Container (513-874-6874) my salesman is Jerry Haley. Since it is close I do not have to pay for shipping. The jars are 15 case min. at $7.94 per 24. Get the lids there too by the case of over 900. But watch the price of lids, if they have to order just a case for you they are more.

Cincinnati Container (513-874-6874) my salesman is Jerry Haley. Since it is close I do not have to pay for shipping. The jars are 15 case min. at $7.94 per 24. Get the lids there too by the case of over 900. But watch the price of lids, if they have to order just a case for you they are more.

for the info.......

Karen