Very First Body Butter

Ok everyone, please be kind! I'm a candle maker not a Body Butter maker, but I've been interested since I've been looking at all your wonderful creations and recipes. Thought I would give this a shot based on Bunny's Bootylicious Body Butter recipe. I tweeked it a bit and substituted the Sweet Almond Oil for the Monoi de tahiti and instead of the kokum butter, I did a 50/50 with cocoa butter and shea butter. Feels absolutely wonderful. Not doing this to make $$, just for myself. :)

THANKS BUNNY FOR SHARING THIS RECIPE!!!

post-166-139458401908_thumb.jpg

THANK you for doing it! I've been tempted but didn't want to spend the $$$ for the more "exotic" oils/butters.

How long has it aged? Did the shea get grainy at all? (did you hold the shea at like 175 for 20 minutes like FNWL recommends to prevent "crystalization"?)

Wanna try it!!!!! But it's 90 degrees here and it's only Memorial day. May have to wait.....

THANK you for doing it! I've been tempted but didn't want to spend the $$$ for the more "exotic" oils/butters.

How long has it aged? Did the shea get grainy at all? (did you hold the shea at like 175 for 20 minutes like FNWL recommends to prevent "crystalization"?)

Wanna try it!!!!! But it's 90 degrees here and it's only Memorial day. May have to wait.....

Thanks everyone for the boost of confidence on my butter. As for the 175 for 20 minutes??? Had no idea about this so I guess we'll see if it crystalizes tomorrow. :) Told you I wasn't a "Body Butter Maker".;) I was so exicited when all my products came in (last week), but kept procrastinating till today to get off my butt and make the darn stuff. So glad I did. I keep opening the container and slathering it all over my arms and legs, can't get enough of it. It's not greasy at all, it absorbs right in.

I used Liqiud Germall Plus as a perservative and I didn't scent it, just the Monoi de Tahiti to give it that nice aroma.

Thanks again for all the positve feedback and I'll let you all know tomorrow if I wake with horse hooves instead of feet because of not heating the shea to 175. :shocked2:

Well it's been 15 hours since I did the butter and no crystalization yet, or should I be checking this within a couple of days?

I have no idea. I've been working on solid lotion bars and got some grainyness on the surface when I used shea butter. But I haven't seen any other comments on it so I don't know if it's truly an issue.

From Nature with Love recommends you hold the shea at 175 for 20 minutes to completely melt to avoid this, but when I tried that I'm not sure it helped. But then I had a terrible time maintaining the temp (next time I'll try bringing to temp and putting in 175 oven maybe).

Anyway, curious if anyone else has difficulty with shea...

You guys have me hooked and obsessed with this body butter thing. :) First thing I did when I woke this morning, was check the butter to see if it crystallized. :rolleyes2 No crystals, just as smooth and creamy as it was yesterday.:yay: Maybe it didn't do the crystal thing because I only used 3.5%? Anyway, still feels and looks great and now I'm off to try a "coffee butter" today. Geeeessssshhhhh, I'm hooked!

WOOOHOOO!!

Not all shea butters will grain up on you, so if it's not an issue with yours, don't worry. Some shea's will actually grain up if you get them to 175F. Totally weird huh?

Can't wait to hear how the coffee butter turns out!

WOOOHOOO!!

Not all shea butters will grain up on you, so if it's not an issue with yours, don't worry. Some shea's will actually grain up if you get them to 175F. Totally weird huh?

Can't wait to hear how the coffee butter turns out!

I'll definately post the coffee butter when it's complete. Holy Crap this stuff is pricey...$24.00/lb. :shocked2: Canadian that is.