M&P soap with soap curls in it-have a question

Michi

I want to make some confetti looking soap, so I made a bunch of unscented pretty colored bars of goats milk soap, and have been shaving curls out of it since last night (need a bunch if I'm going to make a whole log).

I'm starting to worry though, that when I do the clear base over the curls, that they will melt. ??? Anyone have any experience with this?

The curls are pretty thin, as I'm using a potato peeler to make them, and I plan on filling most of my mold with them, and just overpouring with a clear, scented M&P.

TIA

I want to make some confetti looking soap, so I made a bunch of unscented pretty colored bars of goats milk soap, and have been shaving curls out of it since last night (need a bunch if I'm going to make a whole log).

I'm starting to worry though, that when I do the clear base over the curls, that they will melt. ??? Anyone have any experience with this?

The curls are pretty thin, as I'm using a potato peeler to make them, and I plan on filling most of my mold with them, and just overpouring with a clear, scented M&P.

TIA

when i made soap like this what i did was pour a "cooler" thinner layer first to just cover the tops of the shavings. let it cool a bit, spritz with some alcohol wo the next layer will adhere and then pour the last layer. Worked out fine for me. Good luck!

I did mine recently like Elizabeth said, and now that I see Eugenia's post I'm going to try that tip next! I'll post again how mine turned out doing the cooler overpour and spritz method. The bluish/purple one's are shavings and the pink/yellow are chunks. HTH

post-171-139458377776_thumb.jpg

WOW Mary those turned out beautiful... almost makes me want to try my hand at mp again lol... I've done confetti soap before with curls and like stated above as long as you don't over heat it... just barely melt it you won't have a problem... although I'm tempted to buy some to try the other techniques just to see how it effects the finished product. GOOD LUCK and be sure to share pictures of your experiments :)

HUGS

Andrea

Well I couldn't wait for the replys here and just went ahead and did it! ;)

I think it ended up being about 3lbs.

It came out soooooo darned cute, if I do say so myself. :D I filled my mold up with the curls, then melted the clear soap, added my FO, and made sure it it was cool enough and just poured like Jcandleattic suggested, pouring back and forth so as not to stay in one spot too long.

I only had ONE curl slightly melt/bleed that's it, otherwise it came out perfectly, except that I cracked my "mold" (a drawer organizer) in three spots trying to get it out.

I'm not too sure about the FO I used, I really really liked it OBB and even have a 1lb. bottle on it's way to me, but in this soap, I just don't know if it smells "soapy".

My daughter gave away three big slices of it to a friend for her birthday (along with $20), and big slice to two other friends of hers. I guess it was a big hit at the birthday party.

I don't have my printer hooked up so I couldn't make a good looking label for it, but I named it "Funfetti Soap" and just wrote that on a label and put the scent below it.

I wish I could show you pics. but I don't have all my computer equipment hooked back up (we had new flooring put in and had to take our computer desk apart to get it out of the room, and my hubby broke the leg, so we're using a temporary "desk" until our new one comes in). If I can figure out how to hook my camera up directly to the computer, I think I can do that right? hmmm??

Anyway, I'm having tons of fun with this soaping stuff, and trying to find other "stuff" to put in the M&P bases. :D

Tomorrow it's CP soaping - I hope- that is if I got all the ingredients I need to make it. ;)

I'm addicted!

except that I cracked my "mold" (a drawer organizer) in three spots trying to get it out.

Michi, next time try either putting it in the freezer or fridge for a few minutes and it should pop right out of the mold. Only problem I've had doing that, is the MP will sweat more.

:) Glad it turned out for you..

I know a lot of people think doing MP is "cheating" but I don't think that at all!! You can get so creative with MP it's just amazing what people can come up with. :)