More Pillar ?'s!

Hey Everyone! So glad this forum is up and running again! Like many others, I don't think I realized how much I depended on it in my everday candle making. I need some advice... I make container candle's and have been for quite some time now. Lately, I have felt the need to experiment with pillars. (I have always been scared of them for some reason!) I made a 3 x 4 this weekend with 4625 and wicked with 51z. I don't know if I like the results or maybe it's just the wax. Would love some help from you guys who make pillars as to which wax you prefer and why! Thanks so much!

Not really, the 51z seems to be burning right down the middle. I'm headed to the candle place today, I think I'll pick up some other samples. I would eventually like to do rustics, is one wax better than others for that? or is it just all in the technique?

I would eventually like to do rustics, is one wax better than others for that? or is it just all in the technique?

The 4625 will produce a smooth, creamy finish. If you want a rustic finish, try the 1343A with some stearic and pour around 145-150.

I'm the lone dissenter I guess :)

I tried the 1343A and it is a nice wax and it's very versatile, but at the same time I couldn't get the rocking scent throw that I get from OK6228. So I use the 6228 to make smooth, creamy pillars, and I use IGI 1274 or Candlewic's 4045H to make mottled and rustic pillars (you can't get a rustic out of the 4625 or 6228). I don't get the scent throw with my mottled pillars that I do with the OK6228, but I can make such beautiful pillars with it that I've decided it's okay! lol

I also use the 6228 for my whipped toppings and for bakery candles and grubbies. It has a higher meltpoint so it's easier/quicker to whip :)

DanaE

Ok, I just bought the 1343. I guess I will play with it for a little while and see what happens. I've had great success with all of my containers, I forgot how much time and $$ it takes when testing new products!! Thanks for everyone's help.

DanaE -- I will definately keep the 6228 in mind also. Thanks!

Tara

I tried the 1343A and it is a nice wax and it's very versatile, but at the same time I couldn't get the rocking scent throw that I get from OK6228. So I use the 6228 to make smooth, creamy pillars, and I use IGI 1274 or Candlewic's 4045H to make mottled and rustic pillars (you can't get a rustic out of the 4625 or 6228). I don't get the scent throw with my mottled pillars that I do with the OK6228, but I can make such beautiful pillars with it that I've decided it's okay! lol

I also use the 6228 for my whipped toppings and for bakery candles and grubbies. It has a higher meltpoint so it's easier/quicker to whip :) DanaE

DanaE, thanks for sharing so much of your insight.

For pillars I've been using the 1343, but I'm one of the few ppl who feel that FOs aren't the end all to get all. That is to say, since container waxes generally have a much higher FO load compared to gen'l pillar waxes, I'd rather put my FOs in my containers. Since the 1343 is so versatile, I'd rather use that wax w/o FOs (especially since so much of what I do is experimental & I just don't want to waste a good FO) & concentrate on perfecting appearances - mottles (using mineral oil), marbles, rustics etc. JMO, though.

BTW, if/when you decide to try marbles, I highly recommend using polycarbonate molds. Although it's true what you see in the molten state is not exactly what you get in the solid state, the advantage of using the clear, plastic molds is that you develop a much better understanding of what the wax is doing while you're working on your project. Then, when you use metal molds, you'll have a better idea of what you'll get in the end. Again, JMHO.

I agree...OK6228 has great scent throw but I only use it to make tarts which I mix with J223. I used to use 1343, but switched to 4045. It holds more FO and can do everything 1343 does, plus the supplier is much closer to me, so I save a lot on shipping.

I use 6228 and 1343.....I use both for pillars because of the versatility of 1343 but I have tested 6228 with all my molds and some customers just want a plain creamy pillar. But for molting or rustics I use 1343. If you have a digital camera I suggest taking pictures of the burn....because even though you write it down sometimes you cant remember what the candle looked like or how much hang up it had etc.

Fern, that's one of the reasons I went with 4045H instead of 1343A. I can get the 4045 much cheaper per case, my shipping is incredibly cheap because they are 1 State away, and it does everything I need it to do (mottled, rustic, whatever). I was going broke trying to find a supplier who could ship the 1274 to me for a decent price. Now my OK6228 has gotten so expensive that I'm considering dropping it. I don't know if it's worth the high shipping and high price per case. I can get 2 cases of 4045H for the price of 1 case of OK6228 *sigh*. What I'd do to have a couple of big suppliers within driving distance!

DanaE

Hey Everyone! So glad this forum is up and running again! Like many others, I don't think I realized how much I depended on it in my everday candle making. I need some advice... I make container candle's and have been for quite some time now. Lately, I have felt the need to experiment with pillars. (I have always been scared of them for some reason!) I made a 3 x 4 this weekend with 4625 and wicked with 51z. I don't know if I like the results or maybe it's just the wax. Would love some help from you guys who make pillars as to which wax you prefer and why! Thanks so much!

Hi,, I started with a peaks pillar kit that has 4625 and I have stayed with the 24ply flat braid,,I have tried other wicks but it is not the same. so I keep with this one.

I use 6228 and 1343.....I use both for pillars because of the versatility of 1343 but I have tested 6228 with all my molds and some customers just want a plain creamy pillar. But for molting or rustics I use 1343. If you have a digital camera I suggest taking pictures of the burn....because even though you write it down sometimes you cant remember what the candle looked like or how much hang up it had etc.

same here I use both 1343 to play with cause you can get creative.

6628 for tarts and clamshells and nice creamy candles and yes the scent throw in 6628 is great

(I have always been scared of them for some reason!)

That was me last year! I soooo wanted to make pillar and was scared to death (Liz, Tanya and Scented will tell ya) LOL Once you jump in, you can't stop though...

Like many others, I use the 1343a for it's verstatility. I can create rustics and mottles with a slight change in additives. I use flat ply as well.