What's up with C&S AND SHIPPING?

.....and of course, we just decided we wanted to carry their apothecary jars....great timing! LOL

Actually, it is probably better.....at least I can order a case of jars everytime I just need something little...to make the shipping worth it! LOL

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They were the first place I ever ordered from, and still did for quite a while, but when I went there today, the wax I use is 6 bucks higher than before - while Bittercreek is still the same. And the shipping is less from BC. It's getting crazier by the minute:eek:

Well I still think they are getting a kickback off of these charges. If shipping was really that rediculously high, other companies would be charging that as well. As jecwittm said, I am also new to this and my orders are a little on the small side for now. I hate to order in bulk when I don't even know which wax I like the best.

They were the first place I ever ordered from, and still did for quite a while, but when I went there today, the wax I use is 6 bucks higher than before - while Bittercreek is still the same. And the shipping is less from BC. It's getting crazier by the minute:eek:
I wouldn't necessarily blame them for that. Prices from the wax companies have gone through the roof. BCN probably just had a larger inventory of wax they bought at better prices.

But as far as the minimum shipping charges, I have the impression they're not staffed and/or organized well enough to handle a lot of small orders. The only time I placed a small order for something I needed in a pinch, it was ignored.

I don't understand what the big deal is here. This "C&S" from what I can see on their website is a middle-man. Looks like they buy a lot of Pourette and Binder -- along with Chemessence and a few other companies things. Then they mark them up and have the guts to over-price shipping.

The solution is a simple one. Buy the stuff from the source, save money on the item and don't get the shaft on the shipping.

Duh,

;)

I see no solution in ordering from 10 different companies and incurring more shipping charges when you can do your shopping from a supplier that offers virtually everything you need. The lack of customer service and increased shipping charges seem to be the issue at hand.

It is not in the realm of most chandlers to purchase direct from IFT, IGI or Anchor Hocking to name a few. Do you have any idea what kind of minimum purchase some of these companies require? I do- and the average candlemaker cannot put that kind of money into their inventory.

Pourette is probably the place most suppliers get their molds. Price would be determined on how much they can spend annually. Thus- the reason for price variance. Anyone can purchase from Pourette. But many of these other manufacturers only do B2B. It's called capitalism. Welcome to America.

I see no solution in ordering from 10 different companies and incurring more shipping charges when you can do your shopping from a supplier that offers everything you need. The lack off customer service and increased shipping charges seem to be the issue at hand.

It is not in the realm of most chandlers to purchase direct from IFT, IGI or Anchor Hocking to name a few. Do you have any idea what kind of minimum purchase some of these companies require? I do- and the average candlemaker cannot put that kind of money into their inventory.

Pourette is probably the place most suppliers get their molds. Price would be determined on how much they can spend annually. Thus- the reason for price variance. It's called capitalism. Welcome to America.

I agree. But in my opinion besides the Fruit slices FO (which only does good in gel IMO) is the only thing C&S has going for them nowadays.....Thank goodness I stock up when I buy this.

I quit using them when the price of my wax went up $18 a case. I understand that wax prices have increased, but every other supplier that I've checked (including the smaller ones) have gone up $2-3, not $18.

I've had numerous issues lately with their Customer Service, or lack of, but that was the end for me.

IGI and Anchor are rip-off artists.

Stick with small companies that will work with you. I can buy glass for 40% what the pallet price is with Anchor.

IGI is even worse. $.82 a pound for 140? Hehe. Yeah right. $.68 is the going price per pallet. Buy it by truck/container and it goes down into the $.50's.

If you like Middle-Men... there is nothing I can do. I'm only here to try and help.

:)

P.S. Binder (Candlewic), Pourette, Chemessence, and many others will waive their minimum (which is usually only $100)... all you have to do is ask.

MeAndMyPuppyDog,

If you don't mind me asking, where do you purchase your Anchor Hocking?

TIA!

Jane

IGI and Anchor are rip-off artists.

Stick with small companies that will work with you. I can buy glass for 40% what the pallet price is with Anchor.

IGI is even worse. $.82 a pound for 140? Hehe. Yeah right. $.68 is the going price per pallet. Buy it by truck/container and it goes down into the $.50's.

If you like Middle-Men... there is nothing I can do. I'm only here to try and help.

:)

P.S. Binder (Candlewic), Pourette, Chemessence, and many others will waive their minimum (which is usually only $100)... all you have to do is ask.

Whoa Nelly! This one is getting long! I've been ordering from them since day one; maybe five years ago? I get my CBA from them, my wicks, and some of my FO's. I used to get my jars from them, but eventually found the manufactuer and now buy them direct (cheaper even with the freight charge!) 24 cases of jars gets shipped by freight truck, so I order 24-48 at a time. When I order wax from C&S, I get 500#, and my FO's 5# per scent. Usually the shipping on that is about $100, sometimes less if it's just the wax. I'm in business, yes, but I'm certianly not 'big' business. It just makes better sense to stretch a little and order in bulk. Once your order is 200#, your shipping charges drop incredibly. If you ask a supplier, they will calculate shipping charges (hypithetically) to show you the difference between shipping 100# verses 200#. I realize not everyone can, nor wants to order in volume, but I would suggest taking a closer look at what you CAN do to get an order to a 200# weight shipping fee. I've learned to be very careful to not put myself in a position of just ordering a couple of pounds of whatever in one order. It happens sometimes, but I kick myself when it does because usually I could have avoided it had I been paying closer attention to my supplies. I'll agree that most of the staff at C&S are not the friendliest people around. There's an air about that place (Iused to pick up my orders; 3 hour drive!), and it's not generally frienly or very customer oriented. The girl at the front desk, southern-ish twag, is nice, but she's not who you'll usually get over the phone. The rest of them are a bit chilly. I don't really care too much about that as long as I get what I need. I always call in my orders, always before 2:00, and i always ask that it be shipped that day. They've always accommidated that request, which is great. I have contacted the wax manufacturer and the minimum shipment from them would be 1800#. I'm striving to get there by the end of this year. Oh, to have that much wax in one delivery! I'd love it! As far as C&S going out of business; won't happen. That place is HUGE, and I can emagine so is there customer base! They could use a course in customer service, however!

Gretchen

I have been a customer of Candles and Supplies.com for over 5 years now and am VERY SATISFIED with their shipping rates and customer service that I have given up the terrible experience with the other suppliers and have them as my sole supplier and they are the best HANDS DOWN!!!

It sounds like you people have not calculated shipping lately by UPS as their rates are extremely out of hand. I understand why C & S has set a $10 minimum on the orders they ship as I live in Southeastern PA and ship items to my customer in Philadelphia and the package was only 1 lb and the shipping was $8.00. NOW THAT IS REDICULOUS!!!! I have also been notified the beginning of this month that AGAIN....UPS rates are going up....IMAGINE THIS 13.5%....so the minimum of $10 is not outrageous. Unfortunately businesses do not have control of the rates that UPS charge and by setting a minimum is a good way to cover your BUTT and make sure you do not loose any money otherwise YOU will be the one going out of business.

That way your customers will be quite happy if the shipping is less than what you have set the minimum charge at. I have actually gained alot of customers recently because I have a minimum of $15 shipping for my items and the shipping is usually less and the customers are really happy with that when they receive their items that the shipping actually was less than they expected.

I guess some businesses out there do not care to much about their customers that they can charge outrageous prices for shipping but then in the end they will definitely loose alot of customers.

I see know how this whole thing about Candles and Supplies got started with the negativity. For instance the original post from me as follows:

I guess some businesses out there do not care to much about their customers that they can charge outrageous prices for shipping but then in the end they will definitely loose alot of customers.

This was not referring to the larger companies out there but the small businesses out there that feel they should be given everything for nothing and cause the larger companies "TO GO OUT OF BUSINESS" because they take so much advantage of their suppliers.

I

That way your customers will be quite happy if the shipping is less than what you have set the minimum charge at. I have actually gained alot of customers recently because I have a minimum of $15 shipping for my items and the shipping is usually less and the customers are really happy with that when they receive their items that the shipping actually was less than they expected.

Ok - I'm lost....if the shipping minimum is $15, aren't I expected to pay $15?

This was not referring to the larger companies out there but the small businesses out there that feel they should be given everything for nothing and cause the larger companies "TO GO OUT OF BUSINESS" because they take so much advantage of their suppliers.

You're kidding right?!?!?!?

Ok - I'm lost....if the shipping minimum is $15, aren't I expected to pay $15?

That is what I would assume looking at a site...seems kinda crazy if it is less and you are going to charge less why wouldn't you just leave it alone and not put a minimum.

IMO if you absolutely(sp) have to have that on your site why not reword it so it doesn't say minimum...something like most orders are approx $15.00 for shipping, then a customer would know that there is a possibility that it is lower. Appears to me that stating there is a $15.00 minimum shipping charge would be a turn off for someone who is looking to purchase a small quantity from you.

If it is going to cost me at least $15.00 to ship from say OH to MI and all I want to order is 2 small candles I would pass that site up in a heartbeat....just as I do C&S since I can't justify spending the money on their shipping when I can get the same product from another supplier that is farther away for a cheaper and more reasonable shipping charge.

I think we are all in business to make money, and search for the best prices on everything including shipping and handling in order to keep our costs down. Could you imagine having to charge a customer $23.00 to buy one votive...sheesh I think not! To just accept a high shipping rate is ridiculous, especially when you can get it somewhere else for less.

It cost me $12.98 to ship three pounds of oils!!

I only live a few hours away from them!!!

I had ordered 8 pounds of oils but the other 4 were out of stock. I did not get an email or a call letting me know this.. They just shipped what they had.

They put on my invoice: OUT OF STOCK ---PLEASE REORDER

I WAS P*SSED!! :mad:

I did call and question them about this. I was told by an employee (no names mentioned) that this is their policy and if I want the oils I will have to reorder. I suggested that they should note out of stock items on their site and was told that they do not do that.

I said that if I was told they were out of stock, I would have waited to order all the oils together so I would not have to pay the outrageous shipping.

That is not company policy I was told.

If you order something and it is out of stock, well your out of luck!!! :rolleyes2

I know that I am not the only one that this has happened to either!!:shocked2:

I did call and question them about this. I was told by an employee (no names mentioned) that this is their policy and if I want the oils I will have to reorder. I suggested that they should note out of stock items on their site and was told that they do not do that.

I said that if I was told they were out of stock, I would have waited to order all the oils together so I would not have to pay the outrageous shipping.

That is not company policy I was told.

So don't you find it ironic that the owner emailed someone saying:

It really makes more business sense for candle makers to place larger orders at a time and save on shipping costs. We used to get numerous phone calls per day from customers that place a few very small orders each week and were unhappy that they had to pay $6-$7 in shipping 3 times a week when really if they combined all of their orders for a week they probably would have only had to pay about $10.00 total instead of $20. This statement on the website seems insane, but it is actually a good way for candle makers to get organized and make more money instead of making the UPS guys rich.

Ironic because when you TRY and do what the owner suggested, you are not even given the option to do so! In order to "place larger orders at a time and save on shipping costs" it would help to be given the option of holding off until the other oils are in stock instead of seeing "REORDER" on your invoice. Again, using THEIR words, how can "candle makers to place larger orders at a time and save on shipping costs" when you DID but they did not let you know the oils were out of stock?