FO percentage...

I have been reading some posts on this forum and must ask...What is your average percentage of FO per lb.?

I am reading posts on here of usage rates above 7% and I am wondering, how in the heck can one afford to sell candles at that rate and what additives are being used in soy to keep all that FO in there?

I could not afford to sell candles if I was using that much FO, it would severly cut into what decent profit margin I have using 5-7%. Add to that... using FO that cost over $16 a lb. and I am wondering what are those candle makers charging for these fragrance oil candles? GEEZ

Not meant to be critical, just so curious!

Perhaps you are just selling your candles cheaper than you should....don't know, but I have no problem making a profit using 3% to 9% depending on the scent. I also have several oils that I pay above $25.00/lb. and several below $15.00........so it all equals out in the end, with a good buck in my pockets too!!:smiley2:

Soy does usually require a larger FO load than paraffin but with some FOs, you can get a great throw with a lower FO percentage. My average is 8%. Some are higher and some are lower. You just need to test to find out what FOs of yours require what percentage for maximum throw.

I dont mean to change the subject, but can you please tell me how you figure what that is in ounces, for example 8 percent is how much in ounces? Thanks!

Laura

About 1.4 ounces to a pound of wax if you're not putting in anything else. 1.4/17.4*100=8.05%). If you put in other additives the percentage of FO goes down.

The percentage method is different because you're always thinking about a fixed amount of material and adjusting the proportions of all the ingredients. When you figure based on adding to lbs. of wax, the amount of material changes depending on what you put in, so the percentages change too.

I can answer your question about how to figure out how much weight you need if given the %. To find out how much wax/FO/additive or whatever, you need you start with how much total weight your planning to mix up. I use the handy calculators on the left side of the screen to calculate how much I need to mix up for the number of containers I'm going to make. Now here's the how to:

Est. wax need for 1 container = 6.88 oz

Say you want to make 5 container = 6.88 X 5 = 34.4 oz total

Now you need to calculate the weights of your blend of waxes&FO's. I'll use 3% beeswax (BW) and 8% FO as example.

Weight of Beeswax @ 3% = 34.4 X .03 = 1 oz

Weight of FO @ 8% = 34.4 X .09 = 2.8 oz

Weight of Wax = 34.4 - 1 - 2.8 = 30.6 oz or 34.4 X .89 (100% - 3% - 8% = 89% = .89 ) = 30.6 oz

As a check you can add all you weights back up:

Wax 30.6 + BW 1 + FO 2.8 = 34.4 Total

Here's a thread that also talks about this.

My candles throw GREAT with 5 - 7%, I won't use a FO that requires more than that. It is just not cost effective and I can't price my candles differently for different fragrances. Although I know some do. The market I sell in just would not take to paying one price for one scent and another for a more expensive one. I was just reading and curious as to how profit could be made with FO over $16 a lb. using over 9%. Very interesting...

Hi Abbie,

I sure wish that I could get REALLY good results with less the 8-9%. There are very few that will throw well for me at 7% and less. I use really good oils too. I buy from Peaks, The Scented Bean, Bubbles N Lights, Just By Nature, Snowtop, Southern Scentsations, Creative Candle Supply, Nature's Garden, Just Scent, a few from Swans, a few from Alabaster, and I have some more to test from some other good places and I am probably forgetting some other places too.

I have heard several saying that they can use 6% and under and still get a GREAT throw, but it does not cut it for me no matter what wax I use (any soy I have used or any paraffin). I have other online friends that feel the same way I do. It reduces the cold throw for sure. There are a few that I could use less than 8% and get a really good throw but not many. Maybe every nose is different -- what is a really great throw to one may not be to another. But, I sure wish my nose would be satisfied at 6% and under! :D I still feel that I can make a profit. I added everything up and I can still make a profit on each candle.

That is great that a less amount is working for you!

~Holly

Soy may 'require' a heavier scent load but it is not meant to take it. Follow your manufacturer's instructions on oil load capacity. Unless and until there is an additive that works in soy to help hold the oil in safely, follow the mfr rec's. I've seen the tops of natural wax candles catch fire due to heavily loaded fragrance (one brand name I will not mention)...twice!

Soy is shortening...it's a FOOD. For candle use, the stability isn't there for us to push limits.

There ARE oils out there you can use at 6% and under. You are going to find alot of duds in your tests to find them though. Keep searching! There is no one supplier that will have them all. ie: WYW oils, some I can use at 2%...some 4% and again, some at 6%. I have found several from WYW that won't throw for squat for me even at 6%, however.

I pay anywhere from $14/lb-$30/lb ..my avg cost per lb is somewhere around $22.

Out of 10 samples I test, perhaps 1 or 2 may pass. They are out there and it is possible tho

Yes, it did take me a long time and a great deal of testing to find oils that worked really well in that range, and they are not cheap, but like Chris said, most of the ones in the higher range will use lower percentages so it balances out in the long run.

I was just kinda taken back when reading that soy users were able to get soy wax to hold that much FO and that when using that much (8%+) in a candle could be profitable, especially when dealing in the wholesale market where most of my business is.

Sure, I could sell a couple of high end candles a week, but if I price my product correctly taking into account all the varibles on price ranges - include a good profit margin - buy selling in CONSISTANT volume, it does not pay to use that high of a percentage. And that does not even take into account my wax manufacturer's SAFE load recommendations.

Can you imagine having a suit brought against you and finding out that because you did not follow the manufacturer's recommendations the candle was unsafe! Chills here...

And yes, great scent throw is up to an individual perception, but if you set a benchmark; for example using Jar A. within 40 mins your candle fragrance is smelled solidly throughout a large room or small house that takes much of the guess work out of it.

Just some thoughts...