First try...need advice

Hello to one and all!

I'm interested in intense moisturizing products. Mainly creams and body butters. I've been looking at recipies for a couple of weeks and a few days ago I made my first batch of butter. Here's the recipe I used:

5 oz. Shea Butter

5 oz. Cocoa Butter

3 oz. Coconut Oil

3 oz. Apricot Kernel Oil

2 tsp. Corn Starch

.3 oz. Fragrance Oil (Tahitian Vanilla, in this case)

It smelled totally yummy, whipped up nicely and looked good enough to eat! :drool: It made enough to fill four 8 oz. jars. I kinda wish I'd only started with a half-batch.

Anyway, it ended up being a little harder than I would have liked. It didn't keep that creamy soft "buttery" consistency. But the main thing is that it's very greasy feeling. As soon as it hits my skin it turns to liquid and leaves an oil slick behind.

Can anyone tell me what about that particular recipe made it so greasy? Advice about what to do next time? Or suggestions for a better recipe? Bless your hearts and THANK YOU!!

Thanks KristinesShower!

I'll definitely make a much smaller batch next time. But did you mean that I should not have used 2 DIFFERENT kinds of oil? In other words I should have used 6 oz. of the Apricot kernel oil?

Or did you mean that I should have cut down on the total amount of oil? Say...4 oz. total instead of 6 oz.?

Will let you know how the next batch goes. I'll probably have a whole new batch of questions too! ;)

If you want it less hard, cut back on your cocoa butter. You can increase your shea by whatever you decrease your cocoa. Also, have you used whipped butter before? You are supposed to use hardly *any*, otherwise, it's going to feel greasy. I'm talking, glide your fingers across the top and pick up perhaps 1/32 of a teaspoon for a region the size of your hands.

If you want it less hard, cut back on your cocoa butter. You can increase your shea by whatever you decrease your cocoa. Also, have you used whipped butter before? You are supposed to use hardly *any*, otherwise, it's going to feel greasy. I'm talking, glide your fingers across the top and pick up perhaps 1/32 of a teaspoon for a region the size of your hands.

Yup. You don't need the same amount of butters as you use for lotion. Just melt a little on your fingertips. That is plenty.

I live in the hot SW desert & can't deal with anything that's too greasy. I'm using an ingredients % that works really well for me. That's 75% of the butters and 25% of combined oils. Your % split is roughly 60/40 (if I did the math right). When I used the 60/40 % it was way too greasy. I usually use 3 different oils but don't exceed the combined 25%. This mixture absorbs quickly if used sparingly.

Thanks to all of you for your generous help and advice. I'll try a new and smaller batch this week using the tips you've given.

AJ, you were right. My shea is refined. I'll get some UN-refined.

Carrie, your avatar is SOOOOOO cute!!

Here's a little background info. I thought I'd try this after realizing how much money I was spending per month at Bath and Body Works on fancy, yummy-smelling butters. I'm over 50 now and sliding faster and faster toward "senior citizen" status. Which means I'm also drying out like a hunk of old leather. I slather on body butter like it's going out of style. A little bit? Not for me...or I'll lie in bed and itch all night. Soooo, I figured if I could make my own I'd save some money. However, after researching the subject thoroughly on the internet, I'm fascinated. I'm VERY glad I found this forum where I can share my disasters and successes!

After looking at the pictures of what others are doing, I might try some soap and candles too!

Thanks again to all...