Soy Pro Testing Results & Pics

Keep in mind I'm no expert. Am new and I use a presto pot, I don't have a fancy candle machine but here is what I did.....

1. I heated the wax to 180*

2. I added f/o @ 170*

3. Stirred alot & also added color

4. Stirred some more then when temp. dropped to 100*, then poured

5. I then put them in a box to cool slowly 'cause my home stays very cool.

I used the only wicks I have. What type of wicks did you get, what type of containers are you using and f/o? That would help on which wick and size. I can't wait to hear your results.:highfive:

I typically use zinc wicks for my current wax but Melissa said zinc would not work well. So they sent me a couple 51-32-18P, HTP 52, 83 & 93's and stabilo 14 (not sure if this is a CD, never heard of stabilo) to test with. I have some LX and may try those too. I use the wide mouth pint and half pint jars, square mason and the 12 oz metro. I will test in the half pint wide mouth first. I am hoping to pour a bit hotter with good results. I am not very patient :D

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I typically use zinc wicks for my current wax but Melissa said zinc would not work well. So they sent me a couple 51-32-18P, HTP 52, 83 & 93's and stabilo 14 (not sure if this is a CD, never heard of stabilo) to test with. I have some LX and may try those too. I use the wide mouth pint and half pint jars, square mason and the 12 oz metro. I will test in the half pint wide mouth first. I am hoping to pour a bit hotter with good results. I am not very patient :D

The only wicks I have is paper cores and heinz coreless. I just used what I normally would with the other soy waxes. I wish I could be more help.

Dang what did you do that name brand Soy candle? Never seen anything like that before.

The Soy Pro looks great. What do they add to the soy?

:laugh2: It does look really bad , but it smells and burns great!! :D

I think this thread can help answer your question about SoyPro better than me.

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23295&page=2

:whoohoo: :whoohoo:

I couldn't wait to test burn. :D ( I know bad tester, bad tester:whip: :whip: .) I lit the Baked Apple pie & Soy Pro in the bathroom @ 9:50 this morning and shut the door. I opened the door @ 10:10 and I thought I walked in Grandma's Kitchen. So, I still wasn't convinced because my bathroom is small. I moved it to my bedroom and shut the door. I gave it 30 min. :yay: It's a winnner. My whole room smells like Baked Apple Pie. I can't wait to have the ladies @ work smell this hot throw. I'll let you know their opinions tomorrow.;)

How long did you let it cure? How about moving it to the largest room in your house (maybe a living room or family room) and seeing how it throws in a larger, open area.

I look forward to seeing what you have to say. Thanks for providing all of us with updates.

How long did you let it cure? How about moving it to the largest room in your house (maybe a living room or family room) and seeing how it throws in a larger, open area.

I look forward to seeing what you have to say. Thanks for providing all of us with updates.

It has been curing since Wednesday afternoon. I like to give a candle a fair shot. I find when working with a f/o I get candlenose. So, when I'm testing I move it away from me. Tomorrow, I will get it's ultimate test. I work in kindergarten and their classroom's are very big. The teachers are great @ testing & giving me their opinions. Most of them love candles and can be very picky (which in this case, is a great asset to me);) .

Today, I burn tested 3 candles in three different classes with the help of the teachers. All three had the f/o I recieved from soycandle.com. I had recieved Baked Apple Pie, Creme Brulee, and Mulberry. All three smelled wonderful. The teachers who tested them, loved them. Creme Brulee and Mulberry were both in 8 oz. jj. They both had melt pooles straight across the jars. There was no wax left on the sides. They did not exhibit any soot. When let to cool and harden after burning several hours, the tops stay smooth with no cracks or funny looking surfaces. As for the red Baked Apple Pie it was in a square container. I need to do some work on wicking a little better. It burned clean and the top showed no frosting when cooled after burning for a couple of hours. I will warn you about the Creme Brulee I got from them. At first smell oob, I was not impressed. I did not believe there was anyway that f/o would have any kind of scent throw. But I was wrong!!! After it had cured, and we lit it, it was the strongest throw of them all. Baked Apple Pie is still my favorite but Creme Brulee got all the attention. HTH and I can't wait to hear everybody elses test results. ;)

Sounds very promising. I don't see pricing information on the website. I'm guessing it's not yet for sale? Any ideas when pricing information will be posted on the website and when it will be available for sale?

It's a shame, but, some good waxes aren't given a chance because of pricing. Alot will obviously depend on that, I would imagine.

Sounds very promising. I don't see pricing information on the website. I'm guessing it's not yet for sale? Any ideas when pricing information will be posted on the website and when it will be available for sale?

It's a shame, but, some good waxes aren't given a chance because of pricing. Alot will obviously depend on that, I would imagine.

Pm'd ya! :yay:

Poured my tester on Monday - didn't get to it over the weekend. I didn't have near the beautiful outcome as SouthernGal. I heated the wax to 160*, used 8% of Mac Apple and colored with red liquid dye. Poured 8.5 oz into a wide mouth pint canning jar at 110*. It only filled the jar 3/4 full. I had cracks in the surface that I had to heat with the heat gun 3 times to take care of the problem. Today I have some frost evident on the bottom of the jar. Cold throw is awesome. I will wait until atleast tomorrow to test hot throw.

I can't wait to order a test slab of this wax. I want to wait until everything is on the site, though; that way I can try out a few oils at the same time.

They already are selling their f/o and wicks. I ordered a bunch of f/o & wax and got my stuff yesterday. :yay: Are you ordering Soy Pro? I have had really good results with mine. I don't know if you want any tips but I highly recommend to get the wax temperature up to 180*. HTH ;) Have fun :yay:

Yes, it's definitely the SoyPro that I'm interested in. It sounds like a really good solution for some of the problems of straight soy. According to the ad in the suppliers' section, everything will be on the website this week; that way I can study the descriptions of the oils and decide which ones to try first. If it isn't up and running by Monday, though, I'll probably just call in an order.