Soy Pro Testing Results & Pics

Actually, Kathy, I was wondering about that myself after I posted that. I guess I just assumed it was in slab form since it is a soy/para blend, but Astor V is paraffin and it's in pellet form, so I don't know.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice creamy look. I don't use color, so, I can't attest to the frosting, although it doesn't appear that it would be a problem. Wonderful cold throw, however, I was hugely disapointed in the hot throw. I let the candle cure for about ten days (poured Friday of the week before last), and am burning today for the second time. I used Antahala Vanilla from Greenleaf. While the cold throw was very nice, the hot throw was hugely disapointing for me, compared to the GL 70/30.

The sample of Soy Pro I have is shaped like a mini loaf of bread.

I haven't done anything with it- but I shall.

I purposely left it in my back hall for a few days. It is hotter than the gates of hell here, but I have left many a wax there for testing on how much heat it can stand. (think shipping to customers) I checked the thermometer and it hasn't even reached 90 degrees. I picked up the wax to bring it downstairs and it's covered with oil droplets. I am talking large droplets- I put it on a brown paper bag and the bag is now dark and oily. Is this normal Melissa? It wasn't even near direct sunlight,, plus there is a blind in the window.

I have never had this happen with any wax- even plain soy.

Hi,

I can say that humidity does do that to a blended wax that has paraffin in it.

We order our wax by the truckloads and in the winter time we get wax that you could almost compare to a rock , now in the summer we get our wax and it is soft.

In my opinion and testing through summer/winter it has never hurt my end testing results either way.

I agree Melissa. Testing in unfavorable conditions is one the things that I personally think is it must. Especially if you sell. I love torture testing.

The wax itself is still very hard. But it truly was sweating some serious oily substance. I put it in a cool basement now. I will keep you updated. :wink2:

Burned another tester today, this one of Indonesian Teak (also from Greenleaf). I'm sorry to say that this wax simply isn't throwing at all for me. Very disapointing. There is simply nowhere near the hot throw that I'm getting from the GL 70/30 blend. The candles have been curing for about two weeks now, and, nothing.

Are you sure you are doing it right. It seems you are the only one with problems with the cold throw. Maybe it is the scent you are using. this blend is mostly soy, and I know that soy doesn't work with every FO. I have made several candles with this blend and Melissa has sent me alot of candles they have made for testing. I see no problems with any of these.

JS:yay:

Are you sure you are doing it right. It seems you are the only one with problems with the cold throw. Maybe it is the scent you are using. this blend is mostly soy, and I know that soy doesn't work with every FO. I have made several candles with this blend and Melissa has sent me alot of candles they have made for testing. I see no problems with any of these.

JS:yay:

I've been wondering the same thing. I haven't had the problems either. I've used the f/o Melissa has sent me as well. I did five testers last night with 5 different waxes. I checked them this morning and it's the prettiest one. ;)

I've had no problems with the cold throw. In fact, if you read my first post, you will see that I actually liked the cold throw better than Greenleaf's however, there is very little if any hot throw.

And, as for how I'm doing it. I'm adding FO at around 175 and pouring at around 130. Not really any magic to it. The candles cured for almost two weeks before burning. Again, there is very little hot throw.

As for being the only one. I really only see one person having posted their results as for scent throw, so you could make the case that she is the only one having success with the throw, no? ;)

Anyway, I'm going to stick with my GL blend.

Southerngal, I also noticed you stating that they are the prettiest, and, again, if you read my first post, you will see that I did comment on how nicely they look/set up, however, the most important thing in a scented candle is the hot throw (and that's probably not debatable) and, that is something that this particular wax is severely lacking, at least in my preliminary testing.

Both FO's that I tested, I tested at around 8.5% (enough to produce a throw, and not so much that it might be TOO much). Both FO's at the same percentage, produced MUCH better hot throws with the GL 70/30 blend (although the cold throw is noticeably better with the Soy Pro), with less cure time.

I encourage you to do your own testing and judge for yourself. It's possible that the two FO's I've tested with so far don't work well in this blend (despite the fact they work great in the other parasoy).

• 2 weeks later...

Just a thought I know we all have different ending results.

But I have noticed in my testing ( NOT THIS WAX SOY PRO)

But in others

the wick choice determined the better Hot throw.

I did a side by side wick test in my wax and the wicks really made a difference.

I used Eco Wicks in one, and CD's in another and still got ZERO hot throw. I moved these later (which I hadn't previously mentioned), into a small, 10x10 bedroom and still got no throw whatsoever. I stand by my statement that this was was hugely disapointing, in terms of its hot throw.

I used Eco Wicks in one, and CD's in another and still got ZERO hot throw. I moved these later (which I hadn't previously mentioned), into a small, 10x10 bedroom and still got no throw whatsoever. I stand by my statement that this was was hugely disapointing, in terms of its hot throw.

Well I too would be disappointed no doubt!!