Container Candles...How did you decide?

I would like to find a jar and stick with it. Is that lazy of me? With this in mind, how did you decide on what jar to run with?? I'm trying to find something different, thick and not as $$ as most. Did I mention I was running WAY over my budget? :shocked2: Thanks for your input.

I started with the 8 oz. jelly jars and 4 oz. quilted jelly jars because they were the easiest to wick and they sell well in my area. I am now testing the 8 oz. square masons. I really like the look of these, am finding them not too difficult to wick, and they, too, sell well in my area. The cost of the jar is higher but they will be priced accordingly. I plan to carry all three of these jars in my line, a price for every budget. Like they say, variety is the spice of life. ;)

You have to decide what kind of style you are going for. Country, contemporary, classic etc....

I decided on the square mason jars because well, I thought they were cute! Dont get me wrong, im not rich or anything but Im going to buy what I like no matter what the cost. I can get a 12 pack of these jars including my choice of lid for 10.00. I dont think thats bad at all.

Eventually i will branch into tumblers and votives....but for right now i think its good to master on container before yo move onto the next. keep searching you will find what you are looking for. when i first saw my jars i knew instantly thats what i wanted to use.

We got sample jars, poured some candles and found the easiet ones to use and went with that line. I found that ones that have curves were hard to guage wicking right since they are wider in the middle and smaller on the top and bottom.

I started with the square masons because I liked them and I can get them cheap. This jar has appealed to my more country customers and to my less country customers. I am also testing the status jar because my biz isn't prim/county and I need something different than the square mason. Tins are also on my list to test as well and I already use them for my wickless containers.

I would think about what type of image you want to portary (modern, classic, country, etc) and then look at what jars are available at a decent price and that wouldn't take you until the end of days to figure out how to wick. Then pick one and don't look back. :)

You have to decide what kind of style you are going for. Country, contemporary, classic etc....

I decided on the square mason jars because well, I thought they were cute! Dont get me wrong, im not rich or anything but Im going to buy what I like no matter what the cost. I can get a 12 pack of these jars including my choice of lid for 10.00. I dont think thats bad at all.

Eventually i will branch into tumblers and votives....but for right now i think its good to master on container before yo move onto the next. keep searching you will find what you are looking for. when i first saw my jars i knew instantly thats what i wanted to use.

Is $10.00 including shipping? I've found them for $6.46 for 12 plus shipping.

budget?? what's that? LOL I use the 16oz masons (those were the easiest by far for me to wick), 16oz apoth and also the square masons...I'm still testing though, because I want some different styles--waiting on a shipment of samples from the jar store.

I think wicking comes easier after you have played around with it for a bit, if you are planning on ever selling you might think about what will sell best--because you can always test different wicks

I think this is very important!! I think it depends too on where you live/who your target market is. I sell 8oz & 16oz apothecaries. Although I'm in the suburbs, I'm right outside the city and my market wouldn't buy country. Though you may be partial to a particular style, I think you should make what'll sell. HTH

Thanks for the picture. I tried to message you to find out where to get these, but it wouldn't let me. Would these be good for wickless?

In my opinion, no. For wickless candles, you want something shallow and wide so the melt pool will get to the top more quickly. Now this is if you're talking about a plate-type candle warmer. Tall jars on those take forever to get fully melted. No melt pool on top = no scent throw.

Things might be different with the candle warmers that warm on the sides as well. I have no experience with those, so maybe someone else can help you there. :)

The other day, I went to Goodwill (Is this just Canadian?)...you know like a second hand store........and I found medium size mason jars with lids for .29 cents each!!!!!!!!! That works out to $3.48 for 12 !!!

You can just spray paint the lids black, copper or whatever color you want!

That's the way to be frugal and put more money in your pocket!

Even check garage sales! They practically give them away!

I just use 8oz jars only. When I asked people what size they liked the most; that was what most people said. Plus it is the only size that I have really really really tested the wicking for. I may move to also offer 10 or 12oz jars on a regular basis soon.