preserving candles scent

Hi all, I'm planning to do a little craft fair in autumn, maybe november, so I have all the time to prepare a good stock of candles and all the other things I may need (bags, brochures, flyers and so on).

So I'm going to do 3-4 candles a week.

But how can i store them until november?

I sell my candles naked, do I have to wrap them in something (that won't be their packaging) to preserve scents?

I plan to store them in a garage under the house, where it's fresher than the rest of the house even in summer.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

TIA

What types of candles are you doing? If container candles, you can just put lids on. If they are votives and tarts, you could store them in those plastic under the bed containers or something like that, till you are ready to package. HTH

Steph in tx

Sabrina, I've been advised that polypropylene bags are great for storing candles in to preserve scent. They come in a range of sizes so that there's a size to fit most pillars. I just seal them with sticky tape. I found a local supplier through a web search for "Packaging Materials" in the business telephone directory. HTH.

Sabrina, I've been advised that polypropylene bags are great for storing candles in to preserve scent. They come in a range of sizes so that there's a size to fit most pillars. I just seal them with sticky tape. I found a local supplier through a web search for "Packaging Materials" in the business telephone directory. HTH.

thanks Mozzie, I tryed to search for polyprop bags, guess what???

I find cello bags, are they the same?

What is sticky tape? a common transparent tape?

Thanks!

Have started making pillars for Christmas season. I have used small plastic bags with twist ties at top. The few left over from last season are possibly a year old and still smell like yesterday.

Ron

thanks Ron, that's a good result

Yes you can use Cello Bags! They hold in the sent, and you can still smell outside the bag. (my experience).

How about shrink wrap bags? Or just shrink wrap by the roll? I have several Pillars that are wrapped in this, (Years old) then just bearly hit with heat gun to conform to pillars, and I can unwrap and they smell like they were just poured. HTH some

Steph in tx

Ok, so I can use cello bags.

I found an italian online store which sells a lot of bags, should I buy the ones with flat and square bottoms?

How can I figure the size I need?

I make various shapes, from round pillars to pyramids passing through balls!!

I would like to shrink wrap, but I'm not sure of what I should buy, and I 'm scared by the shrink wrapping process!

Thanks to all!

This is how I figured out the size I needed without any buying mistakes. I looked at the catalog and wrote down the dimensions of all those bags which I thought might work. Then I took old magazines and cut pieces of paper to those dimensions, then taped the edges together to form bags. By making these, I could put my candles into them to see how it fits. It is good that you found a shop in Italy which sells these bags. It will save on shipping than having to buy from overseas.

That's a clever idea, thanks Sudnwicks!

I have to try immediately!!

Yes this new store is really interesting, sells a lot of stuff for packaging at nice prices!

Thanks!

ETA: Should I look for square bottom bags or gusseted bags (expandible only in sides)?

You could have one of each style/scent on display naked. Then when someone wants to purchase, you give them one which is wrapped in a bag. You can say, it comes already gift wrapped, and that could be a selling point too.

If you think you might want to sell with the bag on, then it's more important to choose a nice bag. You could try making the paper version in both square bottom and gusset, to see which one has a better fit.

If you are going to use cellophane to wrap your pillar candles, then cellophane on a roll and not cello bags gives the neatest and prettiest result. You simply roll your candle in it, tape the sides, cut the base so it fols over easy and then use tape to stick the base down, and then wrap ribbon around the top, like the end of a christmas cracker.

That's how I wrap my pillars - it keeps the scent in and also displays them nicely.

Here's a photo:

DSCF0001.JPG

Natty, I love that look for pillars! Great Job.

Sabrina, should you decide to package instead of just store your Pillars, I think what Nattie did would work for you. You won't have to worry about the heat gun this way. ;) You could leave some of your Pillars naked, but these would be really great selling point packaged like mentioned...IMHO. HTH

Steph in tx

Nat, thanks for your advice, your pillars are very nice packaged that way (and they are even with no packaging!)

The problem is with other shapes than round and square pillars!

Should I quit doing pyramids and balls?:rolleyes2

Thanks to all!

Hi Sabrina,

I also have pyramids and cones and the sheet cello works fine too. I don't do balls, but if I did, I guess I would use shrink-wrap, that way the candle wouldn't look like it even had any packaging. If you are a bit wary of shrink wrap, then a cello bag would work too. I just don't like having tons of bunched up plastic covering the surface of the candle, so I would personally use shrink wrap for balls.

Nat

Thanks Nat, I tried once wrapping in cello a pyramid but what a mess!

Anyway I will seriously think to some simple packaging, as Sudsnwick said it's a good selling point having candles already wrapped if someone wants to buy them and give as gifts!

• 1 month later...

Looks so good, Natty! I love seeing the way everyone packages. But at the same time, I look at mine and feel like such a hick! Keep on sending in the pics. Maybe your good taste will rub off on me!