I could have just died

kuepie

I hope this hasn't been posted already, and if so I didn't see it. I went to Michaels the other day because I wanted to pick up a slab of their wax to make tarts. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the price jumped to $29.99 for one stinking slab. What gives. It's not like it is the best wax in the world

I thought someone else mentioned this a few days ago. It might have been a different store, but it was a similar type. The price for a whole case (50 lbs or so) hasn't gone up by too much. You could try getting a whole case, because wax doesn't really expire.

Michaels has always been expensive. Their candle molds are like 2 - 3 times what they cost on the internet. Just shows how amazing some places get with mark up. It's just like some spa stores here in the mall that carry Jackel tart burners. They charge $36.00 for an electrical:shocked2: and those things are no where near that.......I hardly ever go to Michaels anymore...if I need anything I look for it online first.

I love making soy candles but it's driving me batty that all these "soy candle people" are popping out of the woodwork. Have made like 2 candles and then decide to sell them.

In my little town (1500) there are like 4-5 soy candlemakers.. I mean.. that's bad. I have a hard enough time selling in a rural area without all these people trying to do it now too.

:mad:

I love making soy candles but it's driving me batty that all these "soy candle people" are popping out of the woodwork.
How are your local competitors marketing their candles? Is their being soy the main selling point? If so, you could try marketing yours a little differently e.g. by emphasizing their superior burn characteristics instead of what they're made of.

The oil prices affect every aspect of our lives...everything is going up because freight costs are skyrocketing. My DH drives his own truck and our fuel costs for 7 days can be up to $1400.00:shocked2: . We are paying 400.00 more per week for fuel than one year ago. BUT even though freight rates are rising the actual trucker sees very little of the rise in rates.

I know where I buy wax, they cut back on paraffin waxs by as much as 70% because the prices and the shipping was outragous! They do carry cases of Asrtolite but you will pay! The soy went up very slightly due to shipping. I too am glad I pour soy only.;)

The oil prices affect every aspect of our lives...everything is going up because freight costs are skyrocketing. My DH drives his own truck and our fuel costs for 7 days can be up to $1400.00:shocked2: . We are paying 400.00 more per week for fuel than one year ago. BUT even though freight rates are rising the actual trucker sees very little of the rise in rates.

That must really suck. My husband drives too, but he is company. thank god. Well, back to the original reason this thread started. I went to Nature's web site and just bought a case of my usual mp145 before they sell out and discontinue which is what they did with the mp123 I used for containers. Hell, I got a case of that for not much more than a slab of Michael's. Michael's can stick it. Even with the 40% off coupon that I did cut out of Sunday's sale ad it still wasn't worth it. Like I said it's not that great to begin with. The bad thing about making the order with nature's is that of course I had to order more f.o.'s, and my total ended up being a little more than $200.00. Oh well, I love doing it, and that is all that matters:rolleyes2 .