Is it just me or are the apothecary jars hard to wick?

I've been working on wicking these jars for 3+ months now. I'm using 8 oz and 16 oz (single wicks). The best wick I've found are LX's and I've pretty much tried everything except CD. I almost have a full meltpool but they are still leaving a little scraping of wax on the sides. I'm getting tired and discouraged.

I did attempt double wicking with HTP 73's today. They burned too hot - more towards one side of the jar and didn't give me a full meltpool. I had them centered well.

Someone please talk me off the ledge! :P

Wondering if I should give it up and try a different jar. I'm using JS 50/50 wax.

Thanks, Sab

Those jars are pretty easy to wick, pretty straight up and down with a slight lip at the top. Stay with your HTP wicks and try double 62's. Also, the HTP wicks, if you haven't noticed them, have an upward "V" on one side and a downward "V" on the other side. The wick is going to bend toward the downward "V" when it burns. So when you put your wicks in, try putting each one in in with the downward "V" pointing towards the outter walls of the jar. This will get you a good burn on both sides of the jar and should help. If it doesn't make it, pop your 73's back in, the same way, and give them another go. :D

Those jars are pretty easy to wick, pretty straight up and down with a slight lip at the top. Stay with your HTP wicks and try double 62's. Also, the HTP wicks, if you haven't noticed them, have an upward "V" on one side and a downward "V" on the other side. The wick is going to bend toward the downward "V" when it burns. So when you put your wicks in, try putting each one in in with the downward "V" pointing towards the outter walls of the jar. This will get you a good burn on both sides of the jar and should help. If it doesn't make it, pop your 73's back in, the same way, and give them another go. :D

I never knew that...Thanks!!:cheesy2:

I'm also having trouble with mine. I have been working on 10 oz apothecary and 10 oz clip jar for awhile also. I don't know if the wax of wicks. I know that 2 HTP 62 will not work with my soy but maybe in paraffin.

SP

This is true, the 62's will not cut it in that jar with soy. You will need at least a 73, most likely 83, and maybe some of your FO's will take 93's. He is using a blend though and you can wick down about 2 sizes on wicks, with a 50/50 blend, than what you would use in the soy. :D

It is really hard to tell on the dancing part, as my candles always seem to have to sit somewhere where there is a vent nearby, so I always get a little, to some degree. I would give them another go and see what you think. These wicks really have done well for me in those jars.

I use one cd 16 and/or cd 18 for my 16 oz apothecary's.....I test each fragrance all the way down to make sure it works going all the way down. Now I usually give it three or fours burns and if its not working I yank that puppy out and stick something else in. No point in burning all that wax it its not reaching the sides during the burning time period.

HTH

Pam

You don't mention the jar style. For pressed glass in soy try an LX 28 in a 10 oz. or 16. For blown glass I use an LX 30 in the 10 oz. apothecary. Both seem to get the melt pool going in the proper time. Let me know how they work for you.

Ron

One more question - how long should it take to get a full meltpool when you double wick a jar? I'm using 16 oz apothecary for example.

I am sure others may do it differently, but I judge mine by the same rule, 1 inch per hour of burn time. If 3 1/2" in dia. I would expect a FMP in 3-4 hours, at about 1/4 to 1/2" deep.