True black color.....

I read a post somewhere about adding a color to black color blocks to get rid of the "purplish" tint but now that I need it I can't find it anywhere LOL...murphy's law I guess. I'm thinking it was brown but i'm not 100% sure and i've done a search but I can't find it. Does anyone remember what the color was to add? TIA :smiley2:

This may sound odd, but I would try adding bit of yellow. I only had primary colors (red,blue and yellow) and was trying to make brown. I ended up with solid jet black. No point in asking, I lost count long before I was done...LOL. Anyway, you can make it from the primary colors. Red and blue make purple, logic (my oddball logic anyway) says if it's purplish, there's more red and blue than yellow. I hit many shades on the way, including a greenish (blue and yellow), which was counteracted by red. Maybe this'll help :)

I made this pillar with 1 black color chip and one forest green chip added to a pound of straight paraffin (no additives which might lighten the color).

It's hard to tell from the photo, but it was a deep, dark, true black. (The swirls happened because I made it in a milk carton.)

post-381-139458377704_thumb.jpg

top...that's what I figured, too. I wondered if the attempt to duplicate was made in the same carton (wax would of melted off already)...or perhaps a 2nd try in another carton was not poured quite as hot to melt the wax lining.

Hawaiian, that is an awesome looking pillar. Palm accepts color so well and I love the pattern!

top...that's what I figured, too. I wondered if the attempt to duplicate was made in the same carton (wax would of melted off already)...or perhaps a 2nd try in another carton was not poured quite as hot to melt the wax lining.

A milk carton can only be used one time. The cooled pillar won't slide out, so the carton has to be peeled off.

The first one was a 1 qt. buttermilk carton. Using the same formula and same pouring temp (175 degrees) I tried a whipping cream carton, a milk carton, and finally another buttermilk carton. The weird marbling never happened again. :sad2: