Any suggestions on my booth?

I just opened a booth at a Craft Mall this past Sat. I only rented a small corner section until I see how well my candles do. I went back on Monday to check on them and nothing had sold yet. I don't want a big let down. Should I keep making my stock and just wait more time, should I swap candles out ever so often???? Please help! This is the only place I sell them (other than word of mouth). I have been making candles for over a year and word of mouth has kept me busy with them, but I finally decided to take "that" step forward, and now I'm scared I might have made a bad decision. I have a 6 mo. contract with them, so I have to keep it. They only take 5% of total sales and I don't have to do anything except make and display the candles. Also, any suggestions for packaging? I use cello bags tied with ribbons to match the candle. Thank You!

Charity

Yes, it is a giant store with different vendors' booths, and the products pretty much sell themselves. I do know that a couple of people go up a couple of times a week and pass out samples of their products. Any suggestions on how I could make "samples" of candles to "give" out??

A sample would be something small that doesn't cost much for you to make. Like a tart or tealight. Or possibly even a votive. Even if you don't pass out samples, being there personally to answer questions and 'encourage' them to buy would be helpful.

I think you're overly anxious about the situation. Don't expect to make a sale every day. In addition to my retail store, I also rent space at a couple of antique/craft malls. It's nothing to go for days and days without a sale at my booths.

By the end of the month you will probably earn your rent back. Remember, you are competing against a lot of other booths and it may take a little time before people notice your new booth. In the mean time, examine your booth and see how it compares to the others. Is there anything special about your booth that will make it stand out from the others or draw people to it? Does your booth look fully stocked? Are all items priced so that anyone can easily see how much they cost?

I wouldn't worry about not having any sales just yet. If you go an entire month without any sales, then you definitely need to do something different.

I don't know if you could afford to do this or not, but could you give some tealights to the cashier to hand out with every purchase (while supplies last)? I would pop them in a zip lock bag with a label stating your booth number where they can find the candles for sale on their next visit. The label could say something like, "Compliments of booth ###. Please visit us on your return visit if you would like to purchase one of our highly scented, long lasting candles."

It does take time.....it is diffrent than a craft show I had a similar set up and kept making stock etc.... I then realized that it was better to wait till I sold a few things and then make some more to take in. Good Luck I hope it works out for you

I shared a booth at a local craft mall, my first time out in the world. I think I sold 10 votives in 3 months, and those were bought by the boyfriend of the gal I shared with :) Gave it up in a big hurry.

I'd go in once a week and adjust things, move things around, keep it fresh for those people that like to browse every week. Make sure you tell everyone you know that you can be found there. Maybe have a special deal on a particular scent each month.

I found it very hard to sell without being there. A row of candles just sitting there on their own is really only interesting to people who really like candles (like us). Maybe have a few gift baskets in there, or design the booth so it looks like a room, with the candles placed as they would be in a home.

Thanks for all of your advice.... I took some tealights in yesterday and dropped them off for "freebies" and went back at closing time last night to check the stock ( I know, I know, I need to stay away for a while) and had sold 5 candles!! I was so excited! Thanks everyone!

There are many places local to me but I haven't given them a try yet. You may consider some interesting picture, table, lamp or accessory that is easily visible to grab their attention. You're in Texas, maybe a picture of the Alamo.Maybe a picture of yourself or family on a finished or antique table. Products alone may not be enough, regardless of packaging, because that's what everyone else does. Add something the shopper can relate to and they may stay long enough to notice your wonderful product. Definitely refresh but have a "center" people can remember and describe to others.

Ron

I know how you feel. I had a booth once and it killed me when I had no sales. Some months were dead and others were rockin'. Just depends but don't give up. Also strategy is key to those booths, it's best to rent during the last part of the year when the holidays are around the corner. And, once people buy your things b/c of the holidays and you continue on afterwards they will come back once they are hooked on your product. Make sure you have pamphlets with your scent list and product line and a little information about yourself. Have specials and/or coupons. Yes being there helps, try to go and "stock" your booth while people are shopping. If they see you busy and doing things it makes your booth look happening. I know for a fact ladies like to go those craft malls during their lunch hours. hth:cheesy2:

Thanks for all of your advice.... I took some tealights in yesterday and dropped them off for "freebies" and went back at closing time last night to check the stock ( I know, I know, I need to stay away for a while) and had sold 5 candles!! I was so excited! Thanks everyone!

Congrats!!!

Christina

I would take a deep breath, and than take a few steps back and look at your booth. Is it inviting? Colorful? Organized? WELL STOCKED (the Campbells Soup Theory)? Clean? I think that corners are great actually:-)

I agree that one of the very best things to make happen would be for a candle to be burning (or warming) at the entrance or front reception area ALWAYS. If your candles throw well, it works everytime. You have to hit as many "senses" as possible....sight...smell...touch etc. I also believe that you should suck up to...er..I mean give complimentary candles to the nice person that works there and ask them to please talk about how fabulous your product is etc. I always believe in taking care of people that can take care of me. It is worth a shot.I am not sure that I would invest too much in "give-aways" That gets into that "perceived value" thing IMHO and so many times the sampler hunters have a house full of samples and never buy anything! I believe in giving samples to people that make purchases. For Instance if a person buys a "Creme Brulee" Candle, chances are pretty good that they like Bakery scents, so I would sample them a well labeled "Biscotti" Candle with your information on it. It keeps them coming back sometimes. I am not sure how that could be done without you being there unless again, you make really good friends with the person that works there.

Good luck to you! I am happy that you are stepping out there and giving it a shot!

Charity, Congratulations! I'm in the 3rd month of my lease at a craft mall. I felt just like you. I still do sometimes. But I think everyone is right, it's hit or miss. Some times days go by with out even one sale, and that sucks, but then I'll sell 5 in one day and I feel like I hit the jack pot. I'm barely paying for the booth space at this point, but I'm getting the candles out there and I'm planning to start advertising soon. The craft mall isn't pushing my product, only storing it basically. It's up to me to get people there to buy the candles. I plan on sending and announcement type of mailing to a bunch of people with a 20% off one item coupon just to get them in there, and I've also put on my business cards (in the corner) available at ****Craft Mall. I think this is the slower season for the craft mall places. As Texas Brat said- I'm sure fall would be much better for sales. I did give a small freebie to the girls that work at the checkout. I figured it wouldn't hurt to make nice with them. They come in contact with every customer;) . There's much less traffic then I originally thought at the mall I'm in, so I figure I have to get the people there myself.

Good luck to you! I keep telling myself it will all be worth it in the long run, we just have to hang in there and make it work.

yeah, like yours, there's little traffic at the mall I'm in, too. I didn't realize before I started it. Word of mouth seems to be the best advertisement so far. I am working on a site and I think once I get it going, I will do much better. I am (or was) a little over anxious, but am getting better. I switch out candles every uweek, so that the same ones aren't always sitting there. At least that way, it at least looks like they are selling. LMAO! The store owner and the clerks rave about them and talk about how they smell up the whole 2 isles around them. I think it will take some time (and as I said, I am in a small booth). Thanks for letting me know that I'm not the only one like this. It always helps to know that there are others in your shoes.