Bucket of Wax

OK. I have a bucket full of wax. They're scraps, or abandoned whole candles (like cakes, pies, banana split etc that I didn't like the look of) and also the scrapings off the work surfaces from spills etc (definately only wax and nothing else)

I stupidly didn't bother to separate into "fruit", "Bakery" or "floral" scents, and now have an almost full bucket 'o wax that I have no idea what to do with.

I imagine if I melt it down, it'll be brown and smell like a candle shop (no distinguishable scent)

What to do? The bucket is nearly full and I've no idea what to do with it - photo shown below.

It's all soya - but mixed CB and PB (mostly PB) Any idea on what I can create??

DSCF0009.JPG

quite a lot of it is covered in a "sauce" that I bought from ebay. It's great for drizzling and comes in chocolate, vanilla and strawberry. BUT, I have no idea what it is, but when you melt something down that has this stuff on it, it doesn't blend with the wax very well, so you can't reuse it. The bits on top, ie banana, cakes etc, are the only "made up" bits, the rest of the bucket is full of scrapings and bits of wax I've poured in there after batches if candles where there is not enough left over for a reasonable amount of tarts - this means I can't separate it unfortunately.

Nat

Hi natasha, I usualy make firestarters in small paper cup as the one used for muffins.

I put inside each of them a bit of potpourri then pour a little of wax.

You can add a small wick because it helps ignition, but as we all know.. if it has a wick someone will think it's a candle.

You can use potpourri, small pieces of cardboard, wood.

Then you put one in the fireplace or to start a campfire.

One of my firestarters burns for about 20 minutes and greatly starts a fire.

Try it, is no expensive and if you want you can sell them in bags of 6.

HTH

You could make votives, call the scent candle shop, and sell them at a reduced price, like your cost, so you don't lose any money.

I make scrap votives, I layer mine. I have extra votive molds with wick pins in them then just fill in different layers as I have wax. That way you don't have candle shop scent, each layer burns as it's own scent.

great idea candleman. I wouldn't want to throw this wax away as it costs so much to import it to the UK!

Also good idea for firestarters - especially as BBQ season coming up...BUT - doesn't the FO released during burning affect the food??

Nat

I think tossing it sounds the best if the "sauce" doesn't mix well. You'd be gambling with whatever you make. It may not burn well and you already said it doesn't mix with the other wax.

I usually do throw it away but I decided to ask on the forum whether there was any other use for it seeing as this wax costs me over $4.50 per pound as it's imported from the USA.

I think I'll have a go at firestarters with this lot and in future, pour into moulds as and when I have spare wax to make "candle shop" candles.

Nat

Nat, I use firestarters in my fireplace only, but I can tell you there's no scent at all.

If you look in the gallt my "big pillar" is made with leftovers, I didn't care for the scents but I poured in layers, not all together!

If you look in the gallt my "big pillar" is made with leftovers, I didn't care for the scents but I poured in layers, not all together!

That what I do to make scrap votives. I sell them 2 for $1 and still make a profit, for they only cost me .25 to make.

Just make a really BIG wick out of something and you'll have a candle in a bucket!! Start a new trend. It might ward of skeeters and snakes. Great for outside parties. I had a friend in Texas whose husband would keep all the melted wax from candles they burned. He some how made a wick out of some worn out mens underware and every year took this massive candle with him to the deer lease. I thought the wick thing was so funny when he was telling me about it. He really swore by his candle.