Pay pal account hacked into Update Last Page

cindym

Cindy,

Did you happen to reply to an email that was supposedly sent from paypal asking you to update your information by such and such a date or your account would be cancelled? I've received 2 of those spoof emails (1 from paypal and the other from chase bank).

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cindy,

Did you happen to reply to an email that was supposedly sent from paypal asking you to update your information by such and such a date or your account would be cancelled? I've received 2 of those spoof emails (1 from paypal and the other from chase bank).

No , I get those all the time and just delete them.

To be honest, all of us that are getting spoof emails need to change email accounts ASAP!!!

I've tried several different email providers, hotmail, yahoo, my isp's, my webhosting's, and gmail.

I now use 3 email accounts, one for business, personal, and spam. The spam account is for all of those websites that require you to sign up and leave an email addy.

I settled on using GMail because of it's antispam and antiphishing filters. My ISP(s) were by far the worse for getting spam and phishing email. Cox, SBCGlobal, and Roadrunner. Cox being the bottom of the barrell. The primary account would get 150+ spam email a day, and I had never used it for anything. The fact the email servers would die and or get hacked almost weekly wasn't nice either.

About ebay............ just don't :wink2:. Amazon has a much better merchant account program with lower fees, and a better layout. Plus they protect the buyer AND seller more than ebay does.

I now use 3 email accounts, one for business, personal, and spam. The spam account is for all of those websites that require you to sign up and leave an email addy.

Same here! What's really strange though, is that I have not received any spam at my spam account. All the mails I get in the spam account are for places I registered/signed up with. In contrast, I have been getting a lot of spam lately in my personal account, the one which I have only given to family members and friends. Puzzling.

That's why I didn't link a bank account to my paypal account.

I have a rechargeable credit card linked to it.

I put on the card only the money I need for paying what I buy.

The card is not linked to the bank account too.

So if someone hacks my paypal account they could only steal what's on the card, I never put more than $100 on it at a time.

Too bad when I find that to buy something from many of you in the classys I get charged because my paypal account is linked to a CC.

I am soooooo done with paypal and am definitely changing banks, this has been a 3 day nightmare and it isn't over yet, my bank actually let the money out of the account last night, with a red flag, a stop payment etc..... I will have to change the way I do business altogether, convience is not always the best plan of attack. As helpful as paypal appeared, they could care less about the fact that they encourage you to get a premire account and then tell you , you were the one who gave us the info. once this is settled I will be canceling my account and my husband and i will be shopping for a new bank. Pay pal knew it was fraud and did nothing to stop the transaction from going to the bank, ridiculous. Okay my rant is over. I am tired and beat up.:mad:

Cindy, I can't believe that after all this your bank let the money go out. Wonder what the state banking commissioner would think of that? Geez, this has just gone from bad to worse for you. So sorry. :sad2:

But thank you for sharing this information with us. I think a lot of people will benefit from this thread.

If you want to you can just have a personal account and not be verified. 500 dollar limit not fees and you don't have to link to any other accounts. You could cancel the one you have by calling the resolution center and then open a new one, you may have to use a different emails addy.

I'm sorry things are being handled this way Cindy. I was informed by Paypal that my account was frozen for suspicious activity not long ago and they were fabulous at clearing it right up. Same thing with a debit card I have, my bank called me regarding suspicious activity. I had the card in my possession, so was unaware. That was cleared right up as well. They are really trying to stay on top of these things.

I know there for a while I was receiving emails from PayPal several times a week about my account being as set as limited because someone was trying to use it. Man guess nothing is safe anymore. Gotta figure out now how I'm going to pay for purchases in a safer way.

Cindy, I am so sorry you are having problems. :sad2: Definitely a learning experience for all of us. Hope you get things straightened out at the bank and find a new more reliable bank fast. I get so upset when folks don't do what they are suppose to.

Definitely contact the 3 credit report agencies to report this so you don't get a black mark on your credit report. They can put a flag on your acct so no new credit cards / purchases can be made on your accts without your approval.

This is why I don't verify my account any longer with paypal. Ive learned from hearing so many horror stories never to let them just get money out of your bank account when they'd like. It's not only with being hacked, but bad sellers, and also paypal themselves at time. They offer sellers way more protection than buyers, that's for sure!

Hi guys updating, money has been returned to bank account and I should have my paypal money restored this week. Then I am cancelling the account and going with a personal account. Thanks for all the imput. Appreciated.

This is why I don't verify my account any longer with paypal. Ive learned from hearing so many horror stories never to let them just get money out of your bank account when they'd like. It's not only with being hacked, but bad sellers, and also paypal themselves at time. They offer sellers way more protection than buyers, that's for sure!

Not true. I wish I could get a room and fill half with sellers and the other half with buyers. I would charge each person $1 and then video tape it and make it pay-per-view. I would be a millionaire!!!! Buyers says sellers are protected, sellers say buyers are protected.

Hi guys updating, money has been returned to bank account and I should have my paypal money restored this week. Then I am cancelling the account and going with a personal account. Thanks for all the imput. Appreciated.

Glad this is getting worked out for you. :cheesy2:

I have to say that I don't know that this applies here, as they have not been not indicatied that this seller was protected in anyway and took reposiblity for the fact that my account had been hacked. This is prevalent throughout the internet, it is not just paypay, ebay , etc... there are just people out there trying to get what doesn't belong to them because they have the computer savvy and they can. These are criminals, not you average buyer or seller. JMO

I guess Ive just noticed more from the buyers end because that's what the people I usually talk to are, and not sellers. What I was referring to more with paypal protection, though, was some of the horror stories Ive seen heard, and had people I personally know - including boyfriend - experience. They can be very difficult to work with if things go wrong - there are exceptiosn to the rule of course. I think theyve gotten better now that they've been bought out by ebay though. Either way, sometimes its better to be safe than sorry and not give paypal permission to just go into your bank account at whim, whether it's hacked, etc, etc.

Here's a few websites:

http://www.paypalwarning.com/

http://www.aboutpaypal.org/

I guess Ive just noticed more from the buyers end because that's what the people I usually talk to are, and not sellers. What I was referring to more with paypal protection, though, was some of the horror stories Ive seen heard, and had people I personally know - including boyfriend - experience. They can be very difficult to work with if things go wrong - there are exceptiosn to the rule of course. I think theyve gotten better now that they've been bought out by ebay though. Either way, sometimes its better to be safe than sorry and not give paypal permission to just go into your bank account at whim, whether it's hacked, etc, etc.

Here's a few websites:

http://www.paypalwarning.com/

http://www.aboutpaypal.org/

It is against the law for paypal to "just" go into your bank account, someone has to authorize it.

I am not trying to come down on you...but seems like the blame has to be put somewhere and paypal is the first to come to mind when someone has something that goes wrong. :wink2:

My DH was notified by our bank this week that VISA itself had been hacked into and his cc number came up as being one of the numbers they got. So our bank stopped our debit/CC and we are re-opening a new account.

I am very sorry this happened to you Cindy but you see it is not just paypal but also the VISA company itself was hacked.

I have been with paypal since 1999 and have not had any problems like this. I do go and change my password frequently and keep an eye on my bank account online through my bank and when I see there is something not right I phone my bank right away!!!

I am very happy to hear you got your money back and it is all cleared up. I just dont see any other company like Paypal that we can go to and if there is PLEASE some one let us know until then for my website I need to stay with paypal.

I have a theory I'm throwing out there for all of us that have or haven't been hacked yet. I sold a few things on eBay,(remnants leftover stock) & at the top of the completed auction page was the paypal address my buyer sent payment to. Older auction, maybe 2-3 months old now & my paypal address is still at the top of the completed auction page.

I purposely don't include my paypal addy within the auction, eBay decided they would do it for me.

Sheesh, no wonder so many people are getting hacked & spoof emails. eBay put the bait front & center for the scammers.