1343 Experiment Burn Test

Wow Eugenia...that looks great! I never knew that you would get such a beautiful burn with those additives...and 7% FO load...in a wax that only accommodates 3%...and no sweating??? Great experiment! How's the throw on that?

Wow Eugenia...that looks great! I never knew that you would get such a beautiful burn with those additives...and 7% FO load...in a wax that only accommodates 3%...and no sweating??? Great experiment! How's the throw on that?

It's throwing Fern!

e

30 ply flat, 3 hours, 7% FO, 3T stearic, 1/2 tsp vybar 103, 1 tsp translucent crystals, 1/2 tsp uv inhibitor. No sweating, no bulge.

Looks like a nice burn there. I just have a question about your formula. You specify everything in 'spoons but the FO as a percentage. How much FO did you actually put in per pound?

OK here's a rough estimate of your percentage formula:

IGI 1343 83.8%

Stearic 7.9%

FO 6.6%

Translucent Crystals 0.9%

Vybar 103 0.4%

UV Inhibitor 0.4%

With all the hardener I'm sure not surprised it isn't bulging. In terms of percentage you had a little less FO than you thought but I would not be surprised if you could cram 7% in there. :) Actually I figured the FO as ounces by weight rather than volume. If you measured volume and it was a dense FO you might have a little more.

Thanks Murray. You are correct, "roughly" 7% FO. Trying not to get too complicated here :smiley2: don't want any heads spinning, LOL... Just killed the 4th burn and still no bulge and good throw...... I am on a mission as usual!

e

Heh, sorry, I just don't get the "feel" of a recipe until I see it as percentages because I always work that way. Figured I'd post it since I had it. If I were to make this I'd just round things out to 8% stearic, 1% TC, .5% Vybar and .1% UV (do you think more is helpful?) and 7% FO.

If I were to make this I'd just round things out to 8% stearic, 1% TC, .5% Vybar and .1% UV (do you think more is helpful?) and 7% FO.

Sure, for those that like percentages. Weird, I always think that way in soap recipes, but not necessarily candles.

e

Lookin' good!

What kind of holder are you burning your candle in? It looks really cool.

Murray, did you calculate the stearic correctly? No, I haven't done the math, I'll leave that to you. The reason I'm asking is 'cuz the recommended amt of stearic to use is 2-5%. Seems 7.9%, or 8% if you prefer, is a bit high.

E, what do you think? I don't see where you stated how much wax you used.

Lookin' good!

What kind of holder are you burning your candle in? It looks really cool.

Murray, did you calculate the stearic correctly? No, I haven't done the math, I'll leave that to you. The reason I'm asking is 'cuz the recommended amt of stearic to use is 2-5%. Seems 7.9%, or 8% if you prefer, is a bit high.

E, what do you think? I don't see where you stated how much wax you used.

Recommendations for stearic vary by application, but I've seen up to 30% so it's not outrageous. You could melt that stuff down and make a candle out of it.

Converting from 'spoons to weight is always an approximation though, and a tricky one because of the different consistencies of the products (from powers to flakes to granules). I used the rule of thumb of 1/2 oz per TBS, but I just tried it empirically and only got 1/3 oz per TBS so maybe I overestimated.

That would change it to something like this:

5.4% stearic

6.7% FO

0.9% translucent crystals

0.4% vybar

0.4% uv