1343 Experiment Burn Test

Eugenia, I was going to post my results in the Gallery today, but I'll put them here underneath your experiment.

OK - here they are. Not only are then NOT bulging out, they are actually bulging just slightly in, so that all the wax is consumed. They haven't been touched, hugged or anything. I just wanted to see what would happen if I left them alone...

DanaE

post-296-13945837866_thumb.jpg

E and Dana, those both look really good! Where could I find the translucent crystals, since Candlewic doesn't have them anymore? I've had a case of 1343 for almost a year and bought some pillar molds off the classifieds recently. I have wanted to try pillars, but have been intimidated for some reason; I guess because of stories about fragrance oil leaking, the sides blowing out, etc. But these seem almost foolproof, so I might be up for it:cheesy2:

Candlewic has these, that's what I just ordered, should do the same thing Family: Gloss Poly C-15 -- Wax Additive - 195 degree melt point. (Clear Beads) Clear polyethelene, luster crystals hardens wax, slows burning, improves strength and gloss. Can replace stearic to eliminate sagging and make color more vivid. Use 1-2% by weight -1/2.

It's the low melt point of the 1343 that we're trying to work around.

HTH,

e

Hello all. The polyethylene (Gloss Poly) is a different animal from what you see in these candles, in terms of the aesthetic results it produces. Like the stuff DanaE and eugneia are using, it will harden the wax, raise the melt point, and help to hold FO. However, it will make the wax completely opaque with a smooth pastel color rather than preserving the translucency of the wax. Perhaps ironic, since in appearance the additive is "clear beads" like the description says but they definitely don't keep the wax clear.

Because of confusion with the names suppliers use to sell this stuff, what you see here might be Fischer-Tropsch synthetic polymer wax or it might be Paraflint H1. I think it's Paraflint but I'm not sure.

Personally I don't think this additive should be your inspiration to try pillars. I think you absolutely SHOULD try pillars because your reasons for being intimidated by them are unwarranted and I think you'll find it interesting and satisfying to give it a whirl. However, you should try them first with either a preformulated wax, or regular paraffin with conventional additives such as stearic and Vybar or maybe even just Universal Additive.

The less common additives such as Translucent Crystals are practical if you have a Presto pot so you can get enough heat to melt them in a controlled way. Otherwise they are rather a bother and potentially a smoke or fire hazard. They are also not suitable for all applications and I personally think you need to get the hang of the more basic and useful additives. So far the most perfect use I've found for Translucent Crystals and Clear Crystals is hurricanes.

The reason these pillars don't bulge is that their melt point has been raised by the additive. There are other additives that do that, or you can simply use a higher MP wax.

As regards mottled candles, I personally haven't found the polymer additives suitable. The ones that don't kill the mottle produce a "weird" look and finish that generally doesn't have the aesthetic qualities you look for in a mottled candle. Also, the finish often doesn't come out smooth and glossy. Looks to me as though it worked fairly well for the rustic but not so well for the mottle.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Eugenia,,I wanted to add my 2 little cents in and tell you that your experiment was FANTASTIC!!! I have been watching your post of pics and they are amazing. I have been doing pillars for a while now but with the pre-blends only. I order the 1343 to make my hand-dipped tapers. I hope they turn out as well as your pillar did,,Thanks for sharing this with all of us :)