shea butter--where do you buy?

amieelynne

I'm curious to hear where you guys buy your shea butter from...I figure I can't go wrong with suggestions from all of you, since you steered me in the right direction for a soy based lotion (MC, and I DO love it! thanks)

I was thinking of playing around with some shea to make a body butter. I found a simple recipe on here, but after checking out page-after-mind-numbing-page of soapmaking sites looking for shea all I managed to find is that the price changes radically from one to another for no reason I can figure out...one place has it for $6a lb while another has it for $20 for 2lb and yet another sells it for $99 for 5lb!

I am so confused, where do you guys usually get it from and why the big difference in price? I was figuring to get the refined just because I'm only doing this for me and don't want to spend too much of a fortune (gotta spread the money around with all the great things that are suggested here..lol) on just the shea butter because I also want to pick up a couple other kinds of butters and some oils.

AK all the way!!! I used to love OBN shea, but got a batch that was very very grainy. I thought maybe it was just a bad batch and ordered more, same problem. Now I only use AK and it is always smooth, creamy and never grainy. I ordered in a co-op once and I believe Scent Works carries it too.

Ann

I did find that website too, but thought they only sold unrefined shea? just how horrible is the smell they talk about unrefined shea having? I found a recipe I wanted to try that sounds really simple...just some shea, soy oil, jojoba oil, avacado oil and dry-flo (or any combination of oils can be substituted)...but was hoping that I could scent it with something light and not end up with a pukey green or yellow color--that's why I assumed refined would be a better option, no?

i buy from either oilsbynature or ak.

i don't feel that there is a really strong odor to the shea butter at all.

my whipped body butters is a combination of several unrefined butters and a couple of oils and by the time i have finished whipping it (in my ka) it is very white.

cheryl

• 4 months later...

I loved shea from Soaper's Choice until my last order. It is no longer a firm, beautiful white, but now a yellow, grainy, oily mess. I had the same problem with OBN so now I'm on the hunt for pretty, white shea. :(

The only unrefined I've tried was from OBN and it smelled awful...not rancid, just some sort of strong odor. I'm still trying to force myself to use the products made with it since it definitely came through. :(