Votives

What makes a "properly" burning votive? In other words, should the votive liquefy completely after several hours of burning, or should it just have a melt pool of 1/4 to 1/2 inch? Right now I'm test burning votives and can't decide between two wicks I'm using. I'm also burning the votives in tight fitting containers...the very ones they were made in. So with my larger wick my votive will completely liquefy in a few hours. With my smaller wick there is hang up on the sides. Should I use the bigger wick?? :confused: It's funny but for as many times as I've burned store bought votives in the past, I just can't remember exactly how they burned! BTW, the two different wicks I'm using are right next to each other in size. I've searched the forum but never found the answer I'm looking for.

Oh and just one more thought...just how tight should the votive holder be? For me, burning them in the holders they were actually poured in is ok, but if you give these votives away...well nobody wants an ugly looking metal votive holder!

Ok, ended up googling "properly burning votive candle" and lifted this info straight from "Indigo Daisy Shack" http://www.indigo-daisy-shack.com/zen/index.php?main_page=page_7

"Votives and container candles are designed to liquefy while burning and must be burned in a proper container. The best container is a simple tight fitting container that is the same size as the candle. Many candle holders that you may have thought were designed to burn votives, are really too big and not snug enough to properly burn a votive candle. These candle holders are best used for burning tea lights. If a votive is burned properly, it will completely melt, and only the burn control tab should remain."

I apologize if this is a dumb question but when you say completely liquify do you mean strickly across the top of the candle or the complete contents(from top to bottom of container)becomes a liquid?

liquify across the top - That would be called a full or complete melt pool.

Bern,

Here's a glass holder that I've been testing with. Well,... I wanted to see how my camera's work ethic translates to this board too. :cool2:

votive.jpg

Votive holder is approx. 2"w x 2 3/4". Quarter is for visual comparison.

Good luck!

I apologize if this is a dumb question but when you say completely liquify do you mean strickly across the top of the candle or the complete contents(from top to bottom of container)becomes a liquid?

I believe the complete contents is the correct way??? At least that's how I understood it.

I'm just so frustrated with votives at this point that I really don't want to deal with them anymore. I don't see the purpose in making them in those little metal votive cups if you can't burn them in there...because no other holder is going to give you a tight enough fit! I believe I shall just pre-wick them and pour them in these little clear plastic votive holders I got to try out. I mean you can't burn them like a pillar, and if you give them away you might as well give the plastic container because who knows what others may try to burn the votive in.

I believe I shall just pre-wick them and pour them in these little clear plastic votive holders I got to try out.

Plastic votive holders?

BTW, a 'tight fitting' holder doesn't mean that every millimeter of the votive needs to be hugged to death! It just need to be close fitting enough so that when the wax becomes molten, you'll have a nice diameter for that melt pool. Otherwise, if burned like a pillar.... lots of wasted wax. See my pic? You can get votive holders like that at a local dept. store.

Maybe you can just let the votive situation sit a day or so, and come back to it later. That helps me sometimes. Don't give up on it yet! Don't let the votive win..

I believe the complete contents is the correct way??? At least that's how I understood it.

I'm just so frustrated with votives at this point that I really don't want to deal with them anymore. I don't see the purpose in making them in those little metal votive cups if you can't burn them in there...because no other holder is going to give you a tight enough fit! I believe I shall just pre-wick them and pour them in these little clear plastic votive holders I got to try out. I mean you can't burn them like a pillar, and if you give them away you might as well give the plastic container because who knows what others may try to burn the votive in.

My votives liquify across the top. The whole candle does not become liquid. Also, the holder doesn't have to fit extremely tightly. It just needs to be somewhat snug. Check out the votives holders at Wal-Mart. They are .44 each and I test my votives in them. The votive sits in there very nicely, but you don't have to force it in. The metal holders are used as a mold only. And if you include a direction card with your votives, you'll be set. You can't make people not be stupid when burning candles.

My votives liquify across the top. The whole candle does not become liquid.
Same here.

The standard glass votive holders can be found at any drugstore. Average price: $1.

If you make non-standard size votives it might be harder to find the right holder but as long as they're the standard size the holders can be found anywhere.

See, that is why I am glad I did ask the question about if you meant across the top or completely liquifies meant that your candle was totally melted(all of the wax, entire contents of the holder). I knew a full melt pool meant across the top but it's confusing in the begining and sometimes people really mean the complete candle is melted as you stated here. Votives were a little fustrating when I first stated making them also. If I am wrong I am sure someone else will chime in but I do not use a wick that will totally(entire contents of container, all wax)liquify my votive. They burn across the top and reach a full melt pool and then burn down from there just like any other container candle would. Sometimes there is a slight bit of hang up on the sides but if I burn the candle past the middle the wax it will usually melt. Testing in a glass votive holder like what has already been suggested would allow you to see how it burns in glass instead of metal. The glass holders are not expensive and sometimes you can find 3 for 1.00 at a craft store.

If the entire candle is liquifying(all of the wax) wouldn't that mean the wick is too large or the container is getting too hot? Also you stated that the metal holders are ugly. Are these the metal holders that the votives are poured into like votive molds?

http://www.peakcandle.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PCMS&Product_Code=MLD-votive&Category_Code=MLD-VOT

Thanks all for the replies. I think I like KMommy said about burning them like any other container candle. I guess I was thinking more in terms of a pillar candle...but it's not. I am just getting sooo frustrated with them. Most of my other candles I can wick and they burn alright, but these votives! :cry2: Guess I'll just give it a rest and come back to them later.

A votive essentially becomes a small container candle when lit and allowed to fully melt(the candle becomes a complete liquid).If burnt in a container that is too big, the top melts and the melt pool usually breaks down the side and the candle burns unevenly.The snug fitting votive holder keeps it burning evenly.Never give up on a candle you like.HTH:highfive:

So let me make sure that I am understanding this correctly. Are we saying that the candle becomes totally liquified EACH time it is burned? I would imagine that would happen if it were burned in the metal mold because of the heat from the metal. I use the votive holders pictured in Hope's post and my candles fit snug in the holder. They burn just like a mini. container candle across the top making a full melt pool then start burning down but the entire contents of the container does not become totally liquified until the wax is towards the very bottom or at least past middle of container. Just out of curiousity I lit a votive by Yankee that I have(same size as mine and in a glass votive like pictured in Hope's post)the candle did not totally liquify until it was at the very bottom. It formed a full melt pool across the top then started burning down, just like other container candles do. It doesn't become completely liquified with each burn. Is it suppose to become totally liquified(all of the wax melting from top to bottom - entire contents) each time it is burned? Wouldn't that burn off the FO very quickly?

Hi,

Don't despair, and don't give up. You are asking the right questions and learning.

I make votives in votive glasses. This prevents any questions about how to burn them, or what to burn them in. It's a safety/educational issue with me. I absolutely do not want ppl burning votives like free standing pillars, that is not their intent. I honestly think that the free standing votive was someone's way of making money on a candle, and a separate holder, or several candles and holders for variety. Brilliant marketing, but sure is misleading.

A good votive-burning glass is inexpensive, safer, and burns cooler. I find them very easy to work with, and readily available from most suppliers...even Wal-Mart sells them.

I know how frustrated you are, I have been there...we all have. It is a long, tough road you will go down to achieve a good, and safe candle, but you can do it.

In no time at all you will be sending out threads on your successes, I promise.

I wish you the best of luck. Keep your chin up, once you are down, there is only one way to go.

Fern-Marie