Renaming Chestnuts & Brown Sugar by JS

Fire and Ice

Many people on this board know that I often rename my scents because Of all the compitition around me. (400 chandles in my county alone!:shocked2: ) It give me a huge edge over those who would try to take my scent list and make it their own.

I need to think up a new name for Chestnuts & Brown Sugar. I will not put it in wax until it has a new name. I know that's strange but I have my reasons. Since it will be a Fall/Winter scent, I need something that reflects that season. I also sell Amish Harvest and I kept it's regular name.

I do live in Amish country but I'm stumpted what to name this scent.:lipsrseal

Chances are, that if the name has chestnuts & brownsugar in it, being smart about scents they going figure out what it is LOL! why not leave out those names completely, i smell good old fashion pop corn balls when i melt the tarts i make with this scent,

Chances are, that if the name has chestnuts & brownsugar in it, being smart about scents they going figure out what it is LOL! why not leave out those names completely, i smell good old fashion pop corn balls when i melt the tarts i make with this scent,

Good point. How about Caramel Popcorn, Brown Sugar Bomb, Harvest Candy or something like that?

Thanks all. I'm toying with the idea of calling it Vermont. My customers will not buy anything with Chestnuts in the name. They very use to me naming scents after places as well. We do a great deal with maple sugar in my area too.

Yeah, I got that sort of compitition because of all of the Amish chandlers! But we also have all the local people who think that they too can become chandlers over night! It's a very hard area to make a go in. Yeah there are tons of tourist but they generally buy the Amish candles and only learn their mistake after taking it home and burning it!:shocked2: NO scent throw what so ever! And because I've mastered my soy wax and other haven't, many in the public or tourist populations don't know that there is a chandler who does know what she's doing. The only way to prove it is at the shows!:P

Yeah, I got that sort of compitition because of all of the Amish chandlers! But we also have all the local people who think that they too can become chandlers over night! It's a very hard area to make a go in. Yeah there are tons of tourist but they generally buy the Amish candles and only learn their mistake after taking it home and burning it!:shocked2: NO scent throw what so ever! And because I've mastered my soy wax and other haven't, many in the public or tourist populations don't know that there is a chandler who does know what she's doing. The only way to prove it is at the shows!:P

I totally agree! They are all over Holmes, Tuscaraws & Coshocton counties. But you'll only see them in the gift shops for 1 season (Amish country is a HUGE tourist area) I know too many people that are out to make a buck on candles, when they should be trying to make a smile! In the last year I have had numerous requests "can you teach me how to make candles? I know it can't be that hard!" well if it's not that hard, go figure it out yourself! I can't imagine going to a complete stranger to ask that! Though I have taught 2 deserving friends. I am only a hobbyist candlemaker now, we are remodeling our home by ourselves so I am dedicating my time to that (we started 2 yrs ago, have another 3 or 4 to go! It takes time and lots of money doing it on your own) And by the time that's done I'm hoping all the fly-by-nighters will have learned their lesson and be done with it.

By the way Fire, I live in Baltic and shop at Bolek's as well! Gotta love that place! I love my C3, now that I think I've got it figured out! Also just got the Frostop from Barnloft, haven't tried it yet, but you are more than welcome to have a sample if you'd like!

I totally agree! They are all over Holmes, Tuscaraws & Coshocton counties. But you'll only see them in the gift shops for 1 season (Amish country is a HUGE tourist area) I know too many people that are out to make a buck on candles, when they should be trying to make a smile! In the last year I have had numerous requests "can you teach me how to make candles? I know it can't be that hard!" well if it's not that hard, go figure it out yourself! I can't imagine going to a complete stranger to ask that! Though I have taught 2 deserving friends. I am only a hobbyist candlemaker now, we are remodeling our home by ourselves so I am dedicating my time to that (we started 2 yrs ago, have another 3 or 4 to go! It takes time and lots of money doing it on your own) And by the time that's done I'm hoping all the fly-by-nighters will have learned their lesson and be done with it.

By the way Fire, I live in Baltic and shop at Bolek's as well! Gotta love that place! I love my C3, now that I think I've got it figured out! Also just got the Frostop from Barnloft, haven't tried it yet, but you are more than welcome to have a sample if you'd like!

Welcome to the rat race of chandlers in the area! Would love to get my candles or clamshells in the Amish restuants but that it's not going to happen! Why? Because I'm not Amish!:lipsrseal

Fire and Ice, I love the name Vermont (kinda says it all). :yay: Definately a name that will make customers curious about the scent and want to sniff it.

Hope you don't mind me going down a rabbit trail here, but when Amish Ragdoll mentioned Bolek's, it rang a bell with me. I've been on their website lately trying to pick out a few scents to sample. Can you recommend any must haves? I use a 50/50 wax blend. I need some advice about what to order. Thanks.

I live in NJ, so no problem with competition here. :highfive:

Welcome to the rat race of chandlers in the area! Would love to get my candles or clamshells in the Amish restuants but that it's not going to happen! Why? Because I'm not Amish!:lipsrseal

Even though my screen name is Amish Ragdoll, I am not from the Amish, and that is not the name I use for my business. It is a nickname given to me long ago..long story. So I hope you are not looking at me as competition, for I am not. Unfortunately, you are correct about this area wanting only Amish Artisans/Crafters. A few years ago I went through the same thing myself....

No, I was referring to you at all. :highfive: They and the tourists mindset frustrate the heck out of me though. I would love my candle out in Amish country but the store owners don't want anything that isn't Amish made. Silly because you'd think quality counts for something but not with these store owners.:rolleyes2

I do like the name Vermont, but it seems like a "descriptive" name might sell better? Personally....I like to be able to scroll down a scent list and not have to read all the scent descriptions to figure out what the candle smells like. Okay, that being said :) I think CBB smells exactly like the caramel corn I make.

HTH :)

D