Presto Pot

Hi, it's me again. I got a presto pot and I love it, but how do you people measure out how much wax to use? I keep some wax in the pot at all times, take out what I think is right, but then how do you judge scent? Still having wicking problems also. Some one needs to explain all those letters and numbers you all use. I have so much to learn, but I'm hooked on candle making now. I've made some pretty good ones, and some pretty ugly ones! I love this site, thanks for all the help.:highfive:

you need a good scale. Set your pour pot on the scale and tare the weight so the weight is 0 with the pot on the scale. weigh the amount of wax you need. I personally use a dixie cup to measure FO the same way, put the cup on the scale, 0 out the weight, weigh FO, and put into pour pot, mix and pour. I don't put any scent or dye in the presto pot ever. As far as wicks, there are lots of kinds, you may want to ask your supplier. I think BCN has the biggest variety, it may help to look on there also. good luck:highfive:

Hi. I just started using an old deep fryer, lol. I started doing this about 4 months ago, and I was doing it on the stove, and then remembered that I had an old deep fryer in the garage that hasn't been used for about 10 years. I have never used a Presto Pot, so I'm not even sure what it does. I put the wax in my pouring pot, and then I have water in the deep fryer, and then I just turn it to the temp I want. It is so much easier than the stove top method.

Hi there and welcome to the world of candle making! I just started as well, but have learned a lot by reading through the old board postings. I now have 2 presto pots...what I have found works for me is I got a digital scale from Wal-Mart (27 bucks) and then weighed my wax on it. If you look in the basic instructions section part here it will walk you through some of it. Make sure you have a candy thermomter, which you can also get from Wal-Mart (4.95)

Depending on what kind of wax you have it will (or should have) told you how hot to melt it to. Then add your liquid dye (or if you are using blocks put the dye in when you start the wax melting) When it gets to the right temp, turn it off, add your FO and pour. At least that is what has works for me. I got all of that from the old message boards.

Enjoy

Ok, I do this a little different. I melt my Presto full of wax, just however much I want at a given time...no weighing. But I've done my homework. 16 oz weighed is 20 oz liquid. So I dip out melted wax into a pyrex glass cup with a big ol' black plastic soup ladel (heat resistant).

I have figured out how much liquid wax each jar holds and I pour up how ever much I need to make x number of candles. Then I adjust my FO and color based on 20 liquid oz = 1 pound, kind of a ratio thing.

For example, 20 oz is 600 cc. One jar holds 200 cc. So 600 cc will make 3 candles, and I add 1 oz FO, because it is really still one pound of wax. If I only want to make 2 candles, it's 400 cc wax and 2/3 oz FO.

Make sense?

If I am making an 8 oz candle, I weigh out 8 oz. of wax, melt it in the presto to about 180-185 degrees. I then put it in my pour pot, and add about 7-8% FO, depending on the FO, stir until it is mixed, and add my drops of liquid dye to my liking and stir well. I wait until it cools a bit, to a slushy/cloudy looking stage, then I give it a couple of more stirs and pour into my wicked jar.

Edited to add: I use soy wax. You would not pour slushy with paraffin, it needs to be poured hot.

Guest EMercier
If I am making an 8 oz candle, I weigh out 8 oz. of wax, melt it in the presto to about 180-185 degrees. I then put it in my pour pot, and add about 7-8% FO, depending on the FO, stir until it is mixed, and add my drops of liquid dye to my liking and stir well. I wait until it cools a bit, to a slushy/cloudy looking stage, then I give it a couple of more stirs and pour into my wicked jar.

I do the same when I'm going a candle or two. Now that I'm making candles for my show this weekend and as I've done in the past, I can guage by sight, how much wax I should have in the pot. I also put my FO and color in the pot. This gives me a more consistant color and scent. I'm glad I got my two pots. I need more, but will do so in the near future. It makes it easier to pour and do large amounts. I also switched most of my colors to liquid so that I can put the same color in each batch.

I tare the weight of the pour pot out on the scale. After I pour out the wax into the pour pot I weigh it again and get pretty close to what I need for the mold or molds I'm using, add liquid dye and FO and it's good to go. I keep my pour pots warm in the oven before I use them so I have time to work with the wax before it cools to pouring temp.

Just one mans way. Which means it's probably wrong. ;)

Chris

I don't put scent and color in my pot. I fill up the pot with wax and then dip out what I need into my pour pot. I put the pourpot on my scale and ladle out the amount I need. If I had a spigot, it would be easier, but I haven't gotten around to installing one yet. I never do huge orders of the same scent, so coloring and scenting in the presto isn't really the best option for me. I refill the presto with wax as it depletes. I use a glass measuring cup as my ladle too, btw. Works great.

I dont measure in my presto either. I measure the % of each wax for my blend. But then I pour into a measuring cup then into my pour pot to mix FO, etc. This way I don't have to have just one batch of scented wax, I can melt and make several batches. Just started this with my gel wax also.

I never put my dye or scent into my Presto Pot and I have a spigot,,, I do not measure my wax I put into the Presto either , Instead I have several Pour pots I use if making diffrent scents that day,,Makes it much easier. Then I pour out the amount needed in a pyrex and then into my pour pot,,Then add Color and FO. For my container Candles I heat my wax to 180 degrees, pour into pyrex then pour into my Pour Pot to mix well and use a candy thermometer to wait till it gets to 165-160 degrees and then pour into my container.

When doing Pillars I heat wax to 185 degrees,,pour into my pyrex the needed amount and then to the pour pot,,add dye and FO mix slowly and then pour my pillar @ 175 degrees,,,HTH;)

'

Is 1 oz per pound of FO enough for a great scent Throw? I have been putting almost 2 oz. per pound, and I think I see it coming out the wax. It may just be air bubbles. I'm not sure?

'

Is 1 oz per pound of FO enough for a great scent Throw? I have been putting almost 2 oz. per pound, and I think I see it coming out the wax. It may just be air bubbles. I'm not sure?

2 oz is alot. It's probably the FO oozing out. Depending on what the FO retention is on the specifice wax you're using and what additives you can use but running around 5-8% should be plenty.

You should be able to find out what the retention capability is of the wax you're using on the website of the supplier.

A word of caution on the Presto Pots with spigots - don't forget to CLOSE the spigot after you use all the wax in it! I learned this important little tidbit yesterday when I forgot to close the spigot after my first batch of wax. I put in the second batch and started doing something else for about 10 minutes. When I walked back into the kitchen I wondered what the sound like water running was. Lo, and behold, it wasn't water at all, but melted wax running out the open spigot all down my new cabinets and floor. :shocked2: What a mess!

I'm not usually a dumb person, but I didn't remember not closing the spigot after I emptied the pot. Stuff happens....

'

2 oz pp is too much. Start with 1 ounce instead. More is not always better in this game. :)

A word of caution on the Presto Pots with spigots - don't forget to CLOSE the spigot after you use all the wax in it! I learned this important little tidbit yesterday when I forgot to close the spigot after my first batch of wax. I put in the second batch and started doing something else for about 10 minutes. When I walked back into the kitchen I wondered what the sound like water running was. Lo, and behold, it wasn't water at all, but melted wax running out the open spigot all down my new cabinets and floor. :shocked2: What a mess!

I'm not usually a dumb person, but I didn't remember not closing the spigot after I emptied the pot. Stuff happens....

YESSS close the spigot,,I learned the hard way too!!!;) YEP 1oz per pound of paraffin is enough.

I have three Presto Pots and I always mix my wax, dye and FO in a glass Pyrex measuring cup instead of in the Pot itself. It's so much easier to clean the Pyrex cup than it is the Presto Pot after each use especially if you're doing alot of different scents.