Would I be really weird if...

Grumpy Girl

I said I didn't like the smell of Monoi de Tahiti oil?

Someone was nice enough to let me buy half a pound last week to test, and man this stuff reeks and reminds me of a nursing home.

I think I'm gonna put it in soap... muwhahahaha.

Don't flog me too hard, okay?

I think it varies from supplier. I got a sample of monoi in a swap and loved it, bought some and despised it, and then bought more ('cuz I don't know when to quit) and love it again.

There's been posts elsewhere about FO being added to monoi. I have bottles of sandalwood, vanilla, and coconut scented monoi at home (yum).

:whip:

You're sooooooooo bad. It's nice but I didn't do leaps of joy or anything. Has made my nasty elbows look nicer though...

I think it is too $$ to do a lot of soap with. I may do one or two "luxury" batches just for moi & a few valued friends and family members but it is not cost effective for me to make it a regular addition to soap.

Let the flogging begin!!:cool2:

Some just don't like the smell of even good monoi. A co-worker of mine pulled back her nose from the bottle of the sample I had at work and exclaimed, "I really DON'T like that! It smells like vaseline or something!" I think there's the nursing home connection. :cool2:

:tiptoe: So I took my precious little sample bottle and left. All the more for me to have! She is the only one I've encountered so far who's had a negative reaction. Scent is such a personal thing so there's bound to be those who dislike it intensely along with those who find it very pleasurable. It's no different than liking/not liking various FO's, etc.

Hmm...scenting it sounds intriguing (even though I love the scent). :) I'd consider making a small batch of soap occasionally, but couldn't afford to soap with it on a regular basis.

Someone was nice enough to let me buy half a pound last week to test, and man this stuff reeks and reminds me of a nursing home.

I love the way it feels on my skin but mine smells like crushed gardenias and I'm not at all a floral person. I would like to try some of the others or even an unscented one.

To answer your question...

Yes. You're weird. :laugh2: (I'm *kidding*!!)

Seriously though, isn't it funny how people have such different opinions on scents? I just got a bottle of Monoi 2 days ago and I can't keep my hands off it. I am soooo loving the gardenia scent. Plus it brings back a vivid memory of a vacation from my childhood (which is probably why I am reacting so strongly to it).

True story: I picked up my brother from the train station today for his semi-annual visit, and the first words out of my mouth after "hello" were, "Smell my arm!". :grin2:

~Mag

Monoi de Tahiti junkie

I love gardenias. I lived in SoCal for a couple of years and had gardenia all the way around the yard. It was heaven when they were in bloom. I've been known to rub monoi oil on my wrists just to be able to smell it while at work. Yummy

I purchased five bottles and one was de tahiti and it smelled very soft and floral. The scent was so mild that i added ylang ylang to it to gently kick up the fragrance and some other eo and made a body spray with fco. and after using it I walked past my daughter and she said I smelled like flowers. I like it as well as the other Monoi oils.

I think I will try it with cyclo for a hair spray.