False Advertising

What do you think about a candle supply house KNOWINGLY falsely advertising a product? This is a major supplier. Not a classified or e-bay dealer.

I recently ordered some 14-ounce jars. When they arrived I noticed that they appeared to be the same size as some simular 12-ounce jars that I have. Sure enough, I could only pour 12 fluid ounces of liquid into them (up to the brim). I e-mailed the supplier. No reply for two days so I called then. They said that they knew that they were only 12-ounce jars, but since their Chinese manufacturer advertised them as 14-ounce jars they did the same. Shipping costs were high because that supply house is far from me; however, I thought (silly me) that I was getting a larger jar than those that I purchased from another supplier.

ALSO, They advertised a plastic lid for that same jar and I ordered some. Welllll, they don't fit. They don't seal the jar and if you tilt the jar sideways the, so called, lids fall off. The supplier said that the 'lids' don't SNAP on the jars the just SIT on top of it and that they are only meant to be a dust cover. If I wanted a dust cover I would use saran wrap. At least it wouldn,t fall off. Now in some defense of the supplier, they did say that I could return the products and get credit for some other purchase. Thats not good because I would be out $45. in shipping costs. It's a good thing that I only ordered 4 dozen 14-ounce jars.

I don't really mind, but the products were shipped in a used (utility shower tub kit) box. Something like that is OK for you or I to do but I was a little surprised that a major supplier did it. I believe I remember reading another thread about that same thing.

Anyway......please excuse me for spewing. I just came from the gas station. The price of gas just went up 20 cents since testurday. I just had to vent.

That's just plain stupid and very bad business. When I tell someone that my candle is 4 inches tall, it isn't 3 Duh!!!!!!! It doens't matter what their importer told them....they are wrong....and as far as shipping in a used box....what are they thinking? You say they are a large supplier? Hmmmmmm wonder who they are? First initial? I haven't had that kind of problem....however when Pourette makes the wrong kind of mold for me, they re-ship the right ones and let me keep the wrong ones.....they do make a lot of mistakes....but I have ended up with a lot of extra molds.....that is good business for them because I have been buying from them for over 10 years. One time a seashell supplier was in a hurry because they were moving to a new location and accidently sent me my order in a "Shell Horizon" labeled box. Wellllllll I called Shell Horizons and asked if I could order directly from they, they said yes.....that has saved me thousands of dollars....so the box does matter for many reasons. Glad that you have a place to vent. We all understand. Have a good weekend. Donita

I've seen differences in how suppliers talk about hex jars, kind of similar. They are the 9 oz hex, but I see them on beekeeping sites as 12 oz. They're the exact same jar, but for honey they hold 12 oz (probably weight). After finding that out, I always ask now for height and width if I'm unsure.

It *is* very frustrating.

What do you think about a candle supply house KNOWINGLY falsely advertising a product? This is a major supplier. Not a classified or e-bay dealer.

I recently ordered some 14-ounce jars. When they arrived I noticed that they appeared to be the same size as some simular 12-ounce jars that I have. Sure enough, I could only pour 12 fluid ounces of liquid into them (up to the brim). I e-mailed the supplier. No reply for two days so I called then. They said that they knew that they were only 12-ounce jars, but since their Chinese manufacturer advertised them as 14-ounce jars they did the same. Shipping costs were high because that supply house is far from me; however, I thought (silly me) that I was getting a larger jar than those that I purchased from another supplier.

ALSO, They advertised a plastic lid for that same jar and I ordered some. Welllll, they don't fit. They don't seal the jar and if you tilt the jar sideways the, so called, lids fall off. The supplier said that the 'lids' don't SNAP on the jars the just SIT on top of it and that they are only meant to be a dust cover. If I wanted a dust cover I would use saran wrap. At least it wouldn,t fall off. Now in some defense of the supplier, they did say that I could return the products and get credit for some other purchase. Thats not good because I would be out $45. in shipping costs. It's a good thing that I only ordered 4 dozen 14-ounce jars.

I don't really mind, but the products were shipped in a used (utility shower tub kit) box. Something like that is OK for you or I to do but I was a little surprised that a major supplier did it. I believe I remember reading another thread about that same thing.

Anyway......please excuse me for spewing. I just came from the gas station. The price of gas just went up 20 cents since testurday. I just had to vent.

Did you speak to the owner or just someone answering the phones? If that was the owner you spoke with and they are not making it right with you, the company should be mentioned. I for one would not like that to happen to me and others should be warned about them. Very bad business practice. Suppliers are a dime a dozen these days, customer service is most important.

LOL, gas went up three times in one day here. Not really laughing, it should be another day or so when it reaches $3.00 a gallon.

I placed and order last week with a company that I order pretty regular from and when I received my order, it was my invoice, but someone else's items. I was like, what the.... So I called them and they apologized so many times it was unreal and she sent out my items that day and sent UPS a slip to pick up the wrong package at no cost to me. That made me know that I could buy from them with confidence. That is very important in this business. Since I had an order promised today and without the correct items it would be late. I agree about talking to the owner.

I am in KY and gas was 2.49 yesterday. No telling what it will be today. I can't afford to deliver my candle orders at this rate. :grin2:

The person that I spoke to was in customer service. She said they were fully aware that the jars weren't 14-ounce and that she would tell the owner that I was not satisified.

Donita, I won't give the name of the supply house, but I will give you a clue and test your knowledge of American history and geography at the same time.

The supply house that sells 14-ounce punpkin jars and plastic lids packed in plumbing supply cartons is in the 1st state North of the Mason Dixon Line.

Agree about the metric system, but, in Jim's case it doesn't matter since the published specs where in error. Calling something .4 liter when its actually .35 would be the same thing.

yea, but is it an ounze by weight or volume? there was probably an error made by the supplier when they converted the size, so i dont think its false advertising as much as an honest error. i doubt the chinese use the english system.

the place you bought it from should have the integrity to clarify their description and pay shipping on your return, though. they should make it 'right'.

ALSO, They advertised a plastic lid for that same jar and I ordered some. Welllll, they don't fit. They don't seal the jar and if you tilt the jar sideways the, so called, lids fall off. The supplier said that the 'lids' don't SNAP on the jars the just SIT on top of it and that they are only meant to be a dust cover. If I wanted a dust cover I would use saran wrap. At least it wouldn,t fall off. Now in some defense of the supplier, they did say that I could return the products and get credit for some other purchase. Thats not good because I would be out $45. in shipping costs. It's a good thing that I only ordered 4 dozen 14-ouncejars.

I am not a lawyer by any means but I would think that the portion of the above original post I highlighted shows plainly that there was not an "error" but they are knowingly using false advertising.

Why? Well the experience listed answers that - it made a sale for them they normally would not get!

And if you return the product they will give you a credit but you will be out $45? No way would I go along with that. In cases like these I would have asked to talk to the supervisor of person I was speaking to. I would politely request a full refund including my shipping.

If they were reluctant I would repeat that statement made about them knowing the size was incorrect and tell them it was false avertising which not only is unethical but also illegal.Just because your supplier is breaking the law that DOES NOT give you the right to knowingly break they law also! As a matter of fact, your state's Attorney General's office may be interested in the fact that they admitted to you that they are intentionally using false advertising - I may be wrong (which is something that happens quite a bit) but at the very least I think they could be banned from selling to anyone in your state!

As a consumer don't be afraid to ask for the superior of the person you are speaking with! If I don't honestly agree with the person I am dealing with I have kept that up until I spoke with the owner of a pretty good size business before! Sometimes I have not been satisfied and had to just chalk it up to experience and never dealt with that business again (And yes I have paid more money for the same item before to keep from dealing with a company)

and there are times I have been proven wrong, and had to accept that as hard as it is :D

It isn't about just the money with me honestly - IMHO I believe the main reason for the crappy customer service we have today is because we as consumers have allowed it to happen to us! If someone wants my business they are not going to screw me over and expect to ever get it again!

Sorry about the encyclopedia here! This is something that gets me fired up (as you can obviously tell LOL)

BerryPatch, remember that a 12 fluid ounce jar will hold less than 10 ounces, by weight, of wax ( assuming that the wax is parafin). The most it would hold is 12 ounces of bees wax. In any case, never 14 ounces by weight. Unless you are filling the jar with lead anchors, then I'm sure it will hold much more.

BerryPatch, remember that a 12 fluid ounce jar will hold less than 10 ounces, by weight, of wax ( assuming that the wax is parafin). The most it would hold is 12 ounces of bees wax. In any case, never 14 ounces by weight. Unless you are filling the jar with lead anchors, then I'm sure it will hold much more.

In any event, the capacity of empty jars is conventionally described in fluid ounces, not as the weight of some hypothetical contents. If it's sold as 14oz you should be able to put 14 fluid oz in it of anything. If they said "holds 14oz of wax" that would be fine, but that would be a 16oz jar!