lets talk Thermometers

I got a candle starter kit that came with a candy thermometer. I was just wondering if certain thermometers are more accurate than others. does anyone here use a digital thermometer? My thermometer tends to touch the bottom of my Presto pot that I melt may wax in so I have to stand there and hold it to get an accurate reading or so i think :confused:

I know there are plenty here that do use the digital ones. I personally stick the the candy ones. I get them for $1 at the Dollar store. They work fine for me and they are cheap to replace when I break them.

I do use a digital, but also have about 7 candy thermometers. I like the digital because it has an alarm feature, so if I'm busy I can set it to beep when my wax reaches a certain temp. Same with pouring, since I have to let me wax cool to a certain temp before I can poor I set it to let me know when it's cooled to that temp.

I have a candy thermometer that clips to the side of my presto, but I have a digital that I use to check for pouring temp. Be careful with the candy thermometers...if the backing isn't sealed to the strip of mercury (is it still mercury?) you won't get an accurate reading. I had one that was connected with 2 staples and it moved inside the glass. Readings were off by 30* depending on which way it was tapped.

What about those infrared thermometers? Are they accurate?
They may be accurate enough but that's not their strong point. Some models for example are only rated +/- 4 degrees and that's a bit much, but there are better ones. You have to check the specs.

The extra money is really for point-and-shoot convenience and instant reading. People love them for that. For checking wax temp you have to stir well because they only read surface temp. They don't work on glass. For metal it's best to stick some black tape on the surface.

Personally I wasn't sold on the idea. You can get as good or better accuracy for much much less money. If I was gonna splurge I'd go for the accuracy and flexibility of a thermocouple model.

They may be accurate enough but that's not their strong point. Some models for example are only rated +/- 4 degrees and that's a bit much, but there are better ones. You have to check the specs.

The extra money is really for point-and-shoot convenience and instant reading. People love them for that. For checking wax temp you have to stir well because they only read surface temp. They don't work on glass. For metal it's best to stick some black tape on the surface.

Personally I wasn't sold on the idea. You can get as good or better accuracy for much much less money. If I was gonna splurge I'd go for the accuracy and flexibility of a thermocouple model.

I think "somebody" said just about the same thing a few weeks ago... LOL http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18395&page=2&highlight=Bruce I got my thermocouple at a fleamarket about 10 years ago. The guy didn't even know what it was! Paid $1.00 for it. It only takes mine 4 or 5 seconds to get the full temp and its right on the money every time. Someone on the old board told us about a thermo that had a remote unit that you could take with you thru the house. When the temp that you preset was reached, the remote would sound off to let you know. Cool hey? Bruce

I think "somebody" said just about the same thing a few weeks ago... LOL
LOL, you're right! And here's yet another person who said it even before that! http://www.candletech.com/forums/showpost.php?p=149145&postcount=7

Have you tried using different probes with your thermocouple? One thing that interests me about them is I think they have contact probes that would let you measure glassware temps and such. When I first saw the infrared models I imagined doing that, but you can't unless it's specially calibrated for glass.

LOL, you're right! And here's yet another person who said it even before that! http://www.candletech.com/forums/showpost.php?p=149145&postcount=7

Have you tried using different probes with your thermocouple? One thing that interests me about them is I think they have contact probes that would let you measure glassware temps and such. When I first saw the infrared models I imagined doing that, but you can't unless it's specially calibrated for glass.

Well, well I INVENTED the thermocouple! LOL Hey it was our friend E that has the thermo with the remote unit that you can carry around. I only have one probe with mine, they are not cheap so I got the cheapest thing, Its just the 2 wires with solder holding them together... well maybe not solder but there is a little round solder colored blob at the end the the joined wires. LOL I check it against my other thermos and they all are within a 2 F range. The IR one is whack on crack. You never know what it will do. Oh hey i also probe my meat... on the grill with that thermocouple and its super fast reading lets me know when its at the perfect temp. Its great for making home made cocoa fudge also since it measures in tenths and you really have to hit that stuff just right or you get that grain taste to it. Bruce

The digital thermometer that you can set the time on and have it beep can be found at WalMart for about fourteen dollars. It's called PYREX accessories. I use floral wire and wrap around the top of probe, leave enough length to form a "U" and wrap around a clothespin. I clip the clothespin to the pot or container and can bend the wire to easily adjust the probe to fit any depth container. Hope that made sense. :o