Wicking 4" Pillar Candles

Hi everyone! I made some chunk pillar candles, (4" x 4.5") using wick pins. I want to use braided spooled wick for these, but am unsure as to how I am going to get the wick pushed through the hole to the other end. I have tried to wax the wick to stiffen it, but it unravels as I am trying to push it through.

If anyone here uses wick pins, how do you manage to do this without wrecking the wick? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

:confused:

Twist the ends of the wick while it is warm and make it pointed. Sometimes I have to cut the wick on an angle to it has a sharper point. I also run a rod through and make sure that the hole is clear. It will work....but I know your angst. Donita

I use wick pins for all my pillars and use raw wicking too. I make sure to soak the wick in wax until all the bubbles are gone. I generally have no problems getting the wick through. What kind of wax are you using for your wick?

Wipe your wick clean after you soak it with a paper towel. It'll get rid of excess wax and make it much easier to get up there.

For this one though, take your wick pin and run it up and down the candle hole to "sand" the sides just enough to get that wick in there. HTH!

I melted down some beeswax and soaked the wick until all the bubbles were gone. Maybe I should have waited a bit longer to wick the pillar. I know I am not a very patient person; wanting to get things done in a hurry.

Thank you all for your really great answers! You're great!

:yay:

Bunny....oh....wipe the wick with paper towels....guess that is why I am always burning my finges....stupid stupid stupid....lol....I have no finger prints left. Thanks for reminding me how to treat my wicks.....you would think by now that I would do it right.... he he he he he.....Donita

ps...thanks....I really feel silly.

If I am in a hurry for a stiff wick...I put it in the freezer for a few minutes.