What additives do y'all use?...

I'm learning day by day, and I've been experimenting with different colors, scents, molds, etc. So far I haven't used any additives, but I'm thinking I want to try a few to see what the results would be. I've read what each of them do (vybar, stearic acid, uv inhibitor, universal additive, etc.), but can't decide which to try. What do some of y'all use? Thanks! :)

Crafty, is the uv inhibitor the only additive you use? ONE DAY I'd like to get to the point of selling some also, so I want to do things the right way, but I thought that candles would only fade if they were in bright light like sunshine or flourescent lights. Is that not true?

Yes, that's true. But it's awfully hard to keep them in the dark ALL the time. Eventually someone's gonna bring them out of my closed storage closets and burn them. (Hopefully, anyway! LOL) I sell at farmer's market and I have local wholesale accounts who use fluorescent lighting. So for me, UV inhibitor is essential.

I use a special blend of waxes, and some of them have vybar or universal additive already incorporated into the waxes before I blend. That's why the only thing I add is UV inhibitor, color, and scent. That is, unless I'm going for a special effect of some type. Such as a pock-marked pillar -- then I add mineral oil to the wax.

THe only thing I don't use lot of is UA as it isn't one of my favorites, tends to cause me problems or I abuse it. :D

AMEN to that Sister!!!! ;) Can you say fingernails?!?!?!?:tongue2:

Mostly I just use stearic and UV, but have started to experiment with vybar and translucent crystals....

AMEN to that Sister!!!! ;) Can you say fingernails?!?!?!?:tongue2:

Mostly I just use stearic and UV, but have started to experiment with vybar and translucent crystals....

I can lol, but figured it was just me so I said nothing lol! And it doesn't matter if it's a grain of UA or some other amount, it always fingernails. BUT, BrySC I've got some UA somewhere that you're welcome to try ;)

Right now, I'm just making pillars. I'm in the experimental stage right now...just learning. But I'd love to try mottled and rustic looks. I guess I need to buy some stearic acid and vybar and see what happens. I still don't know what UA is for though.

Bry if you go to the Peaks site, and click on additives it pretty much explains what they all do. I think UA, I always have to look at my notes, prevents mottling off the top of my head, it does some other stuff but I can't remember. Check it out. :cool2:

Here's what UA does:

Axes mottling, increases the hardness of the wax and helps to prevent surface imperfections like pits and bubbles, improves gloss and lets you use more FO in the wax. It probably does other things, but that's the basics.

So you know, if you're getting vybars, use vybar103 for pillars or there's a 343 offered through candlewic that helps with mottles.