preservative

Kristy K

I want to start selling a body butter with my current candle line, but I have recently been reading that I should add a preservative to the recipe. It only contains Shea butter, soy oil, sweet almond oil, cornstarch, and FO. Since it does not have water and if I put a 6 month expiration date do 'I really have to add it? I would rather be able to market it preservative free. Any advice would be helpful.Thanks.

Since there is no water in it, you don't have to put in a preservative. :) Edited to add: When I say "preservative," I am talking about an agent that inhibits the growth of mold and bacteria.

You might want to put a little vitamin E oil in as an antioxidant (helps stave off rancidity of the oils longer).

After MY experience with mine (it got some funky mold in the whole dang batch :( ) I will definitely be adding a preservative to mine from now on.

Even though it doesn't have any water in it, I just keep wondering if someone may have handled the shea butter with their bare hands before it got to me, etc. therefore introducing something that could grow. :undecided

Plus all those fingers digging into it, I just think better safe than sorry. JMHO

you can print instructions that say DO NOT use with dirty hands, DO NOT use with wet hands, DO NOT let water get into the butters, BUT you are deal with human beings who either cannot, will not or do not read.

use a perservative that will work with a non water product. (anhydrosis ...sp?)

cheryl

Thanks to everyone for your posts! I have taken the information that you have provided and began doing some research on the subject of preservatives. I am however, wondering if anyone out there stays away from the preservatives, adds vitamin E and extensive labeling and education to their customers about the proper storage and use of the body butters? I have mentioned to some of my testers the possibility of adding a preservative and they did not like the idea at all. They liked that it was preservative free and "back to basics" so to speak.

I am sooooo confused at this point. Should I just make it in every small batches right before shows with no preservatives and place an expiration date of 6 months from time of production, and tell people to keep it in a cool, dark place or in the refriderator? Or, should I add a preservative and lose that niche of the market who are looking for a more "natural" (term used loosely b/c of synthetic fragrance and refined butter) product.

Who knew that this would be so indepth when I started soy candles 2 years ago!! How did a hobby become so stressful LOL!!!

Well I am just getting started as well and I have questions too. I did read about the T-50 vit E. My question is: the vit e oil, lets say from Walmart, is that enough if you use another perservative? I actually add water to my body butter. I tried to make it with a combo of butters oils & ewax and it just seemed to greasy. I tried cornstarch and still too greasy. I did receive negative feedback from my testers. After I found a few recipes that added stearic acid and water I am loving it and getting better reviews. So I am putting vit e and phenop in but I was wondering if I needed the t-50 or if a cheaper version would do. Any suggestions? thanks

The T-50 is the vitamin E that will extend shelflife. You'll see tocopherol acetate also being sold, but that isn't as good of a antioxidant in the jar. It *is* an antioxidant on the skin, since your skin converts some of the tocopherol acetate to tocopherol (what the T50 is).

Another thing you can do, if you want to do a butter only w/o preservative, is to only sell it in small jars, like 2 oz. That way it will be used quicker.

I don't. But I do tell customers that if they plan to keep it long term, store in the fridge. They can scoop out a small amount for everyday use into a clean container (I recommend they use a clean spoon or popsicle stick) and store the larger container in the fridge. :)

Ok, now I'm confused!! LOL

I had all mine packaged in 1oz. jars (they actually hold 2.1oz-go figure??) and made this up less than 6 months ago-Nov.), and actually the ones that hadn't been used, and were stored away in a closed priority box are the ones that were really funky with the mold (or whatever the germies are really). ???????

I know you want to keep your product "au natural" but I'd just be afraid of it getting funky before the 6mth experation date. :undecided

Oh and as for putting a directive saying you should always have freshly washed hands before using, how convenient/realistic is that? Not very. I like to have some in my car, in my purse by my bed etc. so I can use it "whenever" and even though I "think" my hands are clean (I haven't been picking my nose or whatever LOL ) I have been handling things, ie. the steering wheel, my purse, wallet, atm card, etc. etc. etc.

I don't know, I would rather use a preservative and KNOW that the chances of my product staying fresh and free of germies are better than wondering if/when someone is going to come to me saying their product is growing legs!! ;) LOL