Soy scent throw/ vs. Par. Blends

Hi,

I know that scent throw is always the question:confused:

But there are so many of you that have had the chance to compare waxes.

I am looking for a good wax to test with.

All I have tested so far is Ecosoya CB- Advanced , a 50-50 blend and a enchanted lites wax.

Still haven't found what i am looking for.

Found great scents that i know just need better wax to throw them right if that makes sense.

Looking for the Knock your socks off, fill the house, clean burn,

wet spots i am not concerned and doesn't have to be all soy.

Hey am i asking to much LOL:p

What is your comparison on the soy/vs. par. blends

I feel like i am leaning toward par. blends

Is there any soy user that can give me advice on a wax to try?

Hanging in there

I am sure that many are going to give you their own experiences. This is mine, for what it is worth. The soy that I use throws well with nearly everything I have tried in it. The only ones I can't seem to get to throw are "water type", like Rain or Ocean, very light scents. I have tested a soy blend (KY Perfect Blend) with a couple of different FO's and my experience is that they didn't throw as well in this soy blend w/paraffin as they did with my regular soy wax. I only tried about 3 or 4 FO's, so I can't say as a fact that it doesn't throw as well as my regular soy, but in my opinion, it doesn't throw as well. Could have just been the FO's I was testing. Best thing to do is order a sample slab and try it out. Besides the KY Perfect Blend, several people on here use Joy Wax, which is similar. Hopefully some others will jump in here and share their experiences.

Thanks Kerry,

I was just thinking today about ordering a sample of the KY perfect blend /

I have been trying to go back to the old message board and pull some info.

from there.

And I am still searching/ been at this all day/

Fun Fun

Hope I get this figured out soon. I was wanting to get a good start this fall with by candle business.

Thanks again!:D

Hi,

From my experience, I too, am finding that straight soy (without any paraffin) throws better for me than a soy/par blend. Of course, I have not tried all the soy/par blends out there but the ones I did try I find I like the way the straight soy throws the scent the best. However, I did try the CB-30 (Calwax) which is a soy/par blend but I believe it had a lot more paraffin than soy (someone correct me if I am wrong on this). It had a great scent throw and was a very pretty wax, but burned too fast for my jars and was not real easy to wick for me since I double wick -- too small or too big.

I have found that I love soy and if it is a good scent throwing soy and when it throws a FO well it really throws it WELL. I like both the C-3 Cargill and the CB-3 Calsoy. Both throw scents really well. I have tested the CB-3 much more than the Cargill. I have only burned three candles made with the Cargill and they all had an awesome scent throw at 8-9% (may have been able to go lower too). The Cargill frosts less than the Calsoy for me and you can pour it hotter without getting real bumpy tops. There are only a few FO's that have not thrown well in the soy that I have tried, but some of those oils may not even have thrown that well in my straight paraffin either. There were just a few so far that threw well in my paraffin but not in my soy. Some scents are just lighter scents and are not supposed to have a KNOCK YOUR SOCKS OFF scent throw. These make great scents for bathrooms or small rooms.

I hope this helps you a bit. I would keep testing different waxes until you find what you are looking for. Good luck! :)

~Holly

Hi Holly,

I guess when we refer to scent throw/ I am thinking will the house up, or three rooms. I read a relpy on a post once that their candle could be smelt outside if the window was opened. That has happened to me with a candle melt from another candle business ( which was not all soy maybe part) they even use zinc wicks in their jar candles. Which makes me lean toward the par. blends

So this is what i am searching for :cool:

I think it is my wax right now not the FOs.

Brooke

I agree with Holly on the point that some scents are just lighter scents and not really made to knock your socks off. They are subtle and made for smaller areas. I don't sell any like that myself. I am one of those people that if it doesn't throw well, I don't carry it. If you are going to order the Perfect Blend, I would also try a sample of their straight soy. I use the straight soy with a little beeswax and get great candles with great throw.

IMO if you are just starting out, I wouldn't plan on selling them in the fall. Testing and testing well takes several months. You will want to make sure that you test everything, wicks, fragrances, waxes, and to do it right takes time . Once you settle on a wax and what type of wick you want to use, you will need to test everything in every container that you are going to use.

Hi Brooke,

Yes, I sure do know what you mean about wanting an awesome scent throw. :) I am very hard to please in this department too. This is one reason why I kept going from wax to wax. I always compared my candles' scent throw with my favorite candle company's scent throw. I not only had the pour scent throw problem (not up to my nose's standards :D ), I had the problem of finding a paraffin wax that would burn clean in my jars.

I use both a straight paraffin and soy. I am finding that I prefer the soy for several reasons -- scent throw, clean burn, etc. I have tried J223, J223/J-50, JS-123 (currently use), IGI 6006, J-300, IGI 4786, IGI Comfort Blend, IGI Harmony Blend, Calwax CB-30 and some other 50/50's and some of my own blends of waxes together, and I have found that both the C-3 Cargill Soy and the Calsoy CB-3 has a way better scent throw than most of the waxes I listed and measures up against the good throwing ones. However, there are some scents that just won't throw as well in soy but very few so far.

I avoided soy for the longest time because I kept reading that soy did not throw the scent as well as paraffin, etc., etc. But then I would read at times that some thought it had a better throw. Once I got fed up with paraffin issues, I took a chance on soy and found that I prefer it. I still use my paraffin for some things but may someday only make soy candles. I also have to add that many feel that they get a really awesome throw with 6% or under with fragrance oils. I find for myself whether with paraffin or soy that anything under 8 and definitely under 7 does not throw well enough for me no matter what wax I use. I use only quality oils but still usually use between 8 and 9 percent -- sometimes less but not often. I guess it is depends on ones nose -- what one thinks is an awesome throw may not be an awesome throw to another. lol

Keep up your search. You will find the right wax for you. I learned not to settle for something just because others would encourgage me to do so. If it does not seem right, move on and look to your options. You will find it! :)

~Holly

Good Morning Girls,:)

Boy, do you guys get up early.

Looking at the time on your post reply.

It is 5:30 here at home.

Thank you for your advice. I will have to check out the CB-30 calwax. Where can I find this wax? I am in Indiana it would be nice to find a distributor close.

I understand about testing and it does take time:(

But I am really going to push to have finished product this fall.

The kids will be back in school and I will have most of the day to play in candles :D The only thing that has me slowed down is my budget:eek: Man it sure gets tough order order order. I think the worst part is trying to keep as few as suppliers as possible.

Seems when I find one thing I need than I am missing two others and have to go somewhere else.

I need a cup of coffee, right now LOL

Great talking to you both

Happy Pouring

Brooke

But I am really going to push to have finished product this fall.

I dont' mean this to sound rude, but don't get your hopes up for a finished product by fall. If you haven't even found your wax yet, you have a LONG, LONG way to go! LOL! I have been making candles for well over a year, and I'm still testing different things and trying new waxes. It is a never ending cycle. There is so much testing involved in candlemaking, that it is nearly impossible to have a finished product, safely ready for selling in only a couple of months. Every single variable must be tested and tested again. Every jar, every different FO, every wick, must be tested. Just because a 51z burns great in an 8oz jelly jar with Banana Nut Bread, doesn't mean that a 51z will work in an 8oz jelly jar with Lovespell. Irritating and frustrating, I know, but that is the bottom line. It takes most people months if not upwards of a year to finally get a product that is safe, burns well, and that they are confident enough to put into the hands of the general public. And don't forget the issue of liability insurance before you sell. It sometimes takes awhile to find an agent who will insure you.

I don't mean to discourage you, but candlemaking is not easy, and certainly isn't a quick buck. (I'm not implying you're after a quick buck, just making a point).

My best advice to you is to order slabs of wax to test until you find "THE ONE". LOL I think I tested every wax known to man before I found mine. And I am getting ready to test two others, just because. LOL

Have fun, and don't get discouraged. You'll find what works for you.:)

Its ok Terri,

I know what you are getting at.

I may have been miss leading in my experience (still learning but not green).

Been playing around with candles since January. Started just with wicking and meltpools on certain jars. Tried several FOs and I know who to order from know.

I am just unhappy with the wax I have here. Ready for a change.

As far as having product ready by this fall. I am content with 7 great FOs one style jar. My first customers will be family and friends who are waiting patiently.

I am staying focused and what ever I present to my customers will have to pass my test and expectations first.

I am aware of insurance and have that info. ( company) will apply when time comes.

I am a Limited Liabilty Company / So I am hanging in there and learning as I go.

I appreciate your advice and did not take it as discouragement but as a helpful heed.

After all that is why I have asked you guess for your advice / your experiences are valuable to me to get me started in the right direction.

Keeping Focus:)

Brooke

I am content with 7 great FOs one style jar.

By this comment alone, I know your on the right track.

I'll just add a couple of random comments for encouragement.

When choosing a wax, there is no one right answer for everyone. All you try to do is choose a wax that you think will exceed your customer expectations.

It sounds like you testing a lot of different waxes right now. Be sure when comparing different waxes you try to keep your FO, FO %, container, and testing method the same. I go as far as to use two rooms in my house that are about the same size to test hot throw. I'll run from one room the other and back again testing throw until I decide which one is better.

Hi Henryk,

Sorry, it has taking me awhile to answer you back.

For the 6006, I haven't tested that wax yet, but it is on its way along with about four others LOL :cheesy2:

I will feel like the mad scientist this week.

You should see my testing table FOs everywhere :shocked2: along with wicks to boot.

The kids are back in school so it is a waiting game on the supplies than I can get to work.

I am curious about your testing of the new & improved advanced wax.

I have the old version here/ but it doesn't have the hot throw I am looking for. The cold wasn't bad with 260 vybar added.

Wondering about wick choice maybe that will increase the hot throw?

I have currently been using the HTP with CB- advanced ( old version).

I think I will pull some wicks today and retest the hot throws while I am waiting on those supplys.

Been great talking to you !

Happy Pouring

Brooke

Oops - sorry, that was Holly who tried the 6006 - my fault.

My results with the new and old versions of CBA are at http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2196 . The new version's cold throw is much better than the old. I've been burning the 6006 (and other paraffins) so I haven't really formed an opinion of the hot throw of the new CBA. I'll burn another one or two this week though. Like you I have too much on my plate right now. I am using LX wicks, which burn really nice in the CBAs. I have noticed something though. If you power burn these for more than a few hours the meltpool gets REALLY deep because it burns much easier than regular soy. The new seems to burn just a hair more easier than the old. I don't believe its enough to change your wicking though, as I tried going down a size on the LXs and it just wasn't hot enough. I have not tried a hotter series of wicks in it, but I bet you'd have to wick down more with something like a cotton. Hot throw is determined by the meltpool, so as long as you don't have a huge flame tunneling down the container, I would choose the type of wick that gives you a steady flame, nice pool, and slow burn.

I tried both vybar and BW in the old blend - and posted MHO in the thread at http://www.candletech.com/cgi-local/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=veggiewax;action=display;num=1113016238;start=

HTH

Hi Henry,

It has been so long since I poured the IGI 6006 -- last year. As far as I can remember, it was a one pour for me. I don't remember thinking that I was going to have to do two pours. If anything, there may have been a VERY slight dip, but don't remember if it had a slight dip or not. It must have not been bad because I think I would remember that. I remember liking the looks of the wax but I did not think it had as good of a cold throw or hot throw as the other paraffin blends I was testing at the time. However, this was in the beginning of my wax testing, and I did hot have as many oils at that time to test. Some oils work better in some waxes than others.

~Holly